Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krozz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 633
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 720-12IKB enabling legacy mode?

Hello, I've been reading up on the forums and trying to find answers. I have a Lenovo Yoga 720-12IKB model. I am trying to dual boot with Linux but I keep running into this issue where I can't change to Legacy mode. The option to change the sata controller does not appear. It is stuck on Ahci which is what I want, and when I want to change from UEFI to Legacy, the only option I have is UEFI. Does anyone have any help?

thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 609
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 720-12IKB enabling legacy mode?

Hi,

I don't have a similar laptop and can't answer your questinon - but why do you need legacy mode?

If your SATA controller is in AHCI mode (and Windows is tolerating that) you should be able to install Linux along side. Several distros will happily boot in UEFI (and secure) mode.

Please explain.  Perhaps others will have suggestions.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

krozz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 591
Message 3 of 8

I tried installing Linux Mint using a bootable USB drive but it hasnt worked. At first I searched google and found links to this forum detailing how to install it. Even with those instructions my Yoga 720-12ikb wont allow me to boot from the USB. Even after disabling secure boot and fastboot.

All the sources I found were instructing to go to legacy mode because it was the solution to their problems.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 584
Message 4 of 8

How did you prepare the USB drive.  Details please Smiley Happy

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

krozz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 573
Message 5 of 8

Well, I've tried many things. I used rufus to create a live usb with these settings: GPT partition scheme for UEFI

the file system is FAT32, i chose the default cluster size, my ISO is Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. I used ISO image mode. That would somewhat work, the computer would try to boot into it and then it would bootloop until I disconnected the flashdrive. Then I followed various posts on this forum instructing me to use the MBR partition scheme then using minitool partition wizard to convert it to GPT but when I did that, the flashdrive was corrupted or lost all it's data and was not recognized until I formatted it to be able to use it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 560
Message 6 of 8

Everybody loves Rufus.  I don't use it and wonder if it has too many options...

Out of curiosity I just downloaded 18.3 64 bit.  Used Windows Explorer  (in Win 10) to open the ISO and copied the contents to a MBR/FAT32 flash drive.  Another option for exteracting the ISO is 7zip.

The closest laptop I have here is a Yoga 910.  The drive booted in UEFI/safe mode just fine.  Could connect live Mint to my wifi and browse with FireFox.  Didn't mess any further.

You might give the above a try.  Your description of your 1st sort-of-successful try makes me wonder if there's a specific issue with the 720 and Mint.  Is that why you want a legacy boot - a specific issue that's sorted by legacy?

BTW I've moved the thread to the linux forum where hopefully others with Mint on a 720 can help.

Z.

Yoga 910 Linux Mint 18.3.jpg

krozz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 541
Message 7 of 8

Do you know what your BIOS/UEFI settings are? 

Also, I followed your steps. Im not sure if I did it incorrectly, the laptop just skips it, even when i press fn+f12 to boot into the boot manager. Also, an update: using rufus again on another flashdrive using different settings allowed me to select it but when i did it said "system doesn't have any usb boot option", google brings results but none that have worked.

Edit: i changed the boot order, but it started doing the boot loop again where I have to disconnect the drive to stop it. 

krozz1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 454
Message 8 of 8

Update: after searching for hours, I ran across a post that said we can only boot from a linux distro that uses kernel 4.15 or higher, as a result, Arch booted up but I don't want to install Arch. If there isn't any other distro that uses kernel 4.15 or higher, Arch will be my fallback

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors