Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Message 1 of 369 (151,633 Views)

Yoga 900-13ISK2 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am attempting to install ubuntu 16.04 on my yoga 900. The bios can see the 512 gb samsung hard drive and so can Windows.

The ubuntu installer can not see it at all. I believe this has to do with the sata mode on the bios. Unfortuneatly there is no option to change it from RAID to AHCI or disabled. Will there be a BIOS update for this in the near future?

Or is there another work around?

Punch Card
Message 2 of 369 (151,444 Views)

Re: Yoga 900 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

Hi,

have you got any response from Lenovo Support.  I have the same issue with the 900S model. 

I have tried the newest kernel 4.6 but linux doesn't even list the pci express device in lspci.

So it seems to be hidden. If their is no solution, i'm forced to send my shiny new device back.

I have alsoy tried some key combinations to get the advanced settings in bios but i had no luck with F2 + A (or whatever).

I will try to contact tech support today.

Serial Port
Message 3 of 369 (151,424 Views)

Re: Yoga 900 - BIOS update for setting RAID mode for missing hard drive on linux install

This is the only way I have contacted them.

I did manage to get the raid controller to show up in lspci. I had PTT turned off in the BIOS. It showed up as something like this : Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID Controller.

I don't have the computer in front of me but I think that is what the device was.

In /dev/mapper all i saw was control and no other drive.

There is also the less than ideal option of installing onto an SD card.

Punch Card
Message 4 of 369 (151,404 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have played a bit with efi bios setting. Currently i was not able to extract my bios and their is no bios update for the 900S available. But then i started playing with the 900 bios update file.

I was able to extract all hidden bios configurations and their is the SATA Raid Switch.  I have uploaded the file with all settings here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByogkwaYKJxjRHUxeGt2VUptSE0

If you want do take a risk you can change the values via EFI Shell (copied and adapted from here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-READ-FIRST-Access-Advanced-settings-through-EFI-shell

1. Download latest version of you BIOS
2. Flash new BIOS
3. Take USB stick and format to FAT32
4. Create directory structure EFI\Boot
5. Download BOOTX64.EFI
6. Put downloaded file to Boot directory.
7. Restart and enter BIOS setup.
8. Make sure you have following values:
Legacy Support: Disable
Secure Boot: Disable
9. Reboot and press F12 to boot from USB stick
10. Give commands:
setup_var 0xB69 0x1
11. Reboot and linux should find your decive. I think you have to reinstall windows

I need to find a way to extract my bios, so i can test it with my 900S

Community Moderator
Message 5 of 369 (151,393 Views)

Hi all,

I'm puzzled by what you report.  Below is 16.04 booted on my Yoga 900 with the installer run from the live desktop.

What SSD models do you have?  SATA or PCIe?  How was your install media created?  How are you booting it?

Z.

Yoga 900 Ubuntu Installer.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Serial Port
Message 6 of 369 (151,387 Views)

the product number is 80ue. I believe it is yoga 900 13-isk2.

it is a 512 gb samsung nvme hard drive.

Community Moderator
Message 7 of 369 (151,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't have any way to duplicate that.  My SSD is SATA.  Also admit to little recent experience with Linux installs on comtemporary hardware - please forgive my ignorant questions.  A quick look around the web indicates that Ubuntu has had NVMe support for a while.

Are you booted in UEFI mode?  For sure?  Did you set BIOS to UEFI only?  If your flash installer had its partition set active/has grub installed/is legacy-bootable, you may have inadvertently booted in legacy mode.  How did you prep the install media?

Again, this is above my pay grade - just tossing stuff at the wall...

[edit] I'm moving this thread to the Linux board.  We'll get a different set of eyeballs there.

[more edit] Mine is a YOGA 900-13ISK.  It's certainly possible you have a different BIOS.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Serial Port
Message 8 of 369 (151,342 Views)

Are you booted in UEFI mode? 

yes

For sure?

yes

Did you set BIOS to UEFI only? 

yes

If your flash installer had its partition set active/has grub installed/is legacy-bootable, you may have inadvertently booted in legacy mode.  How did you prep the install media?

I tried UUB and then YUM from pendrive linux.

Serial Port
Message 9 of 369 (151,341 Views)

Cool.

I have tried to boot into an EFI shell but I am unable to do so. I have tried the .efi the website provided and another one. It just hangs on the Lenovo screen.

Which bios file did you get the values from? How did you extract the .exe? How would you implement the custom BIOS file you attached.

Just double checking the yoga 900 13ISk and 13ISK2 have different bios versions.

My bios update is given here:

https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/olddownloads/ds112754

regards

Punch Card
Message 10 of 369 (151,317 Views)

I have now backuped and analyzed my bios. I have the same SATA mode values than you. But unfortunately the change of the value failes in EFI shell (you need a newer one, the old one won't work - only black screen).

I see that the current value is 0x2 -> which means raid mode. 

Seems that our Bios is locked and encrypted (so no changes wie via EFI shell), their are reports also in other forums and no bios modifications without hardware programmer.

So i think we are lost until their is an update from Lenovo, which i think is very unlikley. The don't have added also dvmt settings option which many user are requesting.

I think i will send my 900S back. 1300 € for a locked down device is too much.

Top Kudoed Authors