Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric-g
Blue Screen Again
Views: 43,045
Message 1 of 98

ideapad 710s and Linux

Hi - the current version of the ideapad 710s BIOS does not allow changing of the SATA/drive mode from RAID to AHCI. As a result, it is pretty much impossible to install Linux onto these systems. I've tried multiple combinations of things - completely wiped the drive, disabled UEFI, Secure Boot and enabled Legacy mode, etc - and nothing works.  The currently locked SATA mode basically prevents Linux from even seeing the SSD.  I've tried the latest versions of Ubuntu and Gentoo - both with the same result.

Is there any reason why this setting is not exposed?  Are there any plans to expose it?  

quickseal
Paper Tape
Views: 42,818
Message 2 of 98

Re: ideapad 710s and Linux

Hi I am facing the same issue, I find this really unfair to both the community and lenovo users. Please let us know how to resolve this.

quickseal
Paper Tape
Views: 42,818
Message 3 of 98

Hi I am facing the same issue on my 710s, Please let us know how to resolve this. I tried using a VM, that crashes as well. I generally find Windows unreliable. I can send BSOD for win 10 that I got.

makaronin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 41,567
Message 4 of 98

Those who boot Linux from MicroSD card, were you able to manage the problem with the card being unmounted after the OS resumes from a suspended state? I've got 128Gb MicroSD that is always mounted as 'removable' storage despite i'm using  kernel parameters (mmc_core.removable=0) to prevent this. As the result, the system losts rootfs every time after suspend and need to be rebooted.

Former Employee
Views: 41,223
Message 5 of 98

If you disable Secure Boot in BIOS and reboot, does this allow Linux to be installed?

Thank you,

makaronin
Blue Screen Again
Views: 41,211
Message 6 of 98

No, it doesn't. In fact the kernel never sees the internal SSD no matter what BIOS settings are used.
acuervof
Paper Tape
Views: 41,184
Message 7 of 98

I'm really interesed in this laptop but I need Linux to work. I hope Lenovo staff could solve this issue

Former Employee
Views: 41,122
Message 8 of 98

Thank you for confirming it is still not possible to install Linux on ideapad 710s systems.

This issue has been escalated to the Development team. I am unable to offer a timeframe for fix at this stage in the investigation. With previous cases, BIOS fixes have been delivered anywhere from several weeks to several months.

I will post again when I have more information on the investigation.

Thank you,

artur_polivenko
Paper Tape
Views: 41,071
Message 9 of 98

Hi, what if using NVMe SSD ? (Sorry if it's incorrect question, I'm really not very good in block device architecture)

Regards,

Artur

billbrad
Paper Tape
Views: 40,776
Message 10 of 98

I was looking for a laptop with good build quality amd the iris 540 (or better) gpu.  The 710s looks very promising, except for the linux issue.  Hopefully this gets fixed before I buy a laptop.  I had the the of the line 710s laptop in my shopping card and was reaching for my credit card when I thought to check linux compatibility.  Lenovo's been great with linux in the past, so I thought it was paranoid to have to check.

Hopefully lenovo fixes this soon, especially with the skylake based laptops near the end of their product life cycle, the kaby lake chips are already shipping to OEMs.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors