hi everyone

please assist me how to use wifi in lenovo thinkpad r500

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 4,914
Message 2 of 7

Re: wifi drivers of linux for thinkpad r500

eswarpabolu, welcome to the forum,

you might like to offer members a little more information about your R500 in order to help them help you. Which R500 do you have? Maybe you could post the type and model number or at least post which WLAN card it has.

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

fotsir
Punch Card
Views: 4,911
Message 3 of 7

I am in the same boat. If you have the same wireless as me (thinkpad 11b/g/n wireless lan mini pci express adapter ii, aka realtek 8172 or 8192se in windows) right now there isn't a clear cut option, see this link:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11b/g/n_Wireless_LAN_Mini-PCI_Express_Adapter_II

Also see this forum thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/No-Driver-for-WLAN-on-T500-for-Linux/td-p/158502

If you google this issue (realtek 8172 linux or similar) there are some forum entries speaking of some success using ndiswrapper.

I personally have chosen to wait, as I don't have much experience with linux and have broken my system once in the past. There are rumors of support in an upcoming kernel.

takedown
Token Ring
Views: 4,906
Message 4 of 7

Rumors? no no... almost in kernel .31 or .32

.33? jeje

maybe in some years Smiley Mad

here is the last official rumor: http://osdir.com/ml/linux-wireless/2009-07/msg01554.html

In some weeks I will change my realtek for an Intel Wifi Link 5300

fotsir
Punch Card
Views: 4,875
Message 5 of 7

If you have a Realtek 8192SE, I may be able to help.

I just got my R400 wireless working in Ubuntu 9.04 and could give you the steps I followed to get it up.

Respond to let me know the wireless card you are using, hopefully you can do what I did and not have to get a new card.

takedown
Token Ring
Views: 4,869
Message 6 of 7

hello fotsir: you are talking about this: LINK ?

my wireless card is a Realtek 8192se.

Under linux 32 bits work with ndiswrapper, but under linux 64 bits no. Smiley Mad

fotsir
Punch Card
Views: 4,861
Message 7 of 7

I use 32 bit, yes.

Actually, I didn't know about that particular informational link, but I had tried the 1080.7.0520 driver with a little success. I may have been doing something wrong, I am green. Firstly, the driver would power on the wireless card and connect with the router, but only without any encryption. Next, the driver would cause my system to hang on the Lenovo start up screen if I attempted to restart from Ubuntu. If I shut down and then powered up it wouldn't hang; only during a restart would it get stuck.

I ended up trying every driver that I could find. Most wouldn't even power up the card (judging by the wireless LED below the screen). Only two would power it up, the 0520 mentioned and 1085.8.0727 (which I also got from station-drivers.com, as in the link for 0520).

I then roughly followed the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834 and now it is working w/ the 0727 driver. I may have been able to use the 0520, but the restarting issue for me was a deal-breaker. This link has you remove Network Manager, Network, etc. so these won't alter the /etc/network/interfaces file that you add information too. This to me is the only downside, but I'm not so sure it will end badly, I'm just newbish.

Have you gotten yours to work? With the 0520 and Network Manager? Does encrypted work?

Top Kudoed Authors