Re: Android 2.3 (gingerbread)

Thanks Mark, I'll do that.

tanojuliano
What's DOS?
Views: 151
Message 352 of 369

@Mark

Do you have any news about the Gingerbread update for LatinAmerica, especially in Argentina?

Thank you in advance.

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 353 of 369

@tanojuliano

Nope not yet but I've been asking nearly daily

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
deathcrush
What's DOS?
Message 354 of 369

I will wait until the end of december for the damn upgrade, after that I'll mod the [removed] phone or probably sell it

• Edited for inappropriate language – please keep this conversation civil and family-friendly and follow our site rules.

Message was edited by: Matt (Forums Manager)

kingleper
What's DOS?
Message 355 of 369

Just installed the 2.3 update on my Milestone 2 3 days ago. I was so pleased at first, the phone was finally fast, like actually usable and no more random pauses, I thought I might actually be able to use it as a phone (rather than 7 year old nokia I carry around instead). Also I seem to experience less random app crashes. But sadly, I was wrong, its more moto-junkware. While it mostly works now (after over a year) the phone now randomly shuts down about every 24 hours and fails to ring on incoming calls at random... Don't be lured in by Motorola's nice hardware the software reduces the device to a paperweight. Time to put it on ebay I guess but I feel bad about foisting this thing on someone else. All you need to know about motorolas ability to develop software can be learned by looking at the registration form for this site. Even if you don't have a tablet the tablet serial number field still appears AND you have to fill in "N/A". Lol, I would be fired if I deployed a form like that at my job. Just sad. I used to be a fan of moto products but now I have to tell everyone to steer clear.

Highlighted
emale
What's DOS?
Message 356 of 369

kingleper wrote:

the phone now randomly shuts down about every 24 hours and fails to ring on incoming calls at random...

I can confirm this observations. The worst thing is that there is no trace after reboot so we are not aware of it - system uptime on my phone is now 75 hours in spite of experiencing such reboot in the morning. The same issue was present in 2.2 release. I doubt if it is a hardware problem because my phone just returned from service with a brand new mainboard. Nothing changed in this matter.

kingleper wrote:

Don't be lured in by Motorola's nice hardware

My phone has been several times in service during last year:

1) Damaged touch panel - repaired (actually whole front panel replaced). It took 4 weeks to complete but...When I received repaired phone it turned out that SD card reader is not working.

2) After another 2 weeks I received repaired phone...At least I thought it was repaired.

Phone started to reboot during switching from 3g to 2g. When I set network mode to automatic select between 2 and 3 g the phone was unusable so I fixed it on 2G. Then I had great smartphone with ultra fast internet access.
After a few weeks I send the phone back to the local service with detailed instruction how to reproduce issue.
3) After another 2 weeks I received phone with no actions taken because issue could not be reproduced. That was really too much.

4) In the end after another 2 weeks I got repaired phone back. I had to print ADB logs with core dumps to prove issue. I also pointed directory in which core dumps are stored in internal phone memory.

Finally I included the same instruction which I send previously but this time I underlined important steps. Brand new (I guess) mainboard installed but... After last service rightmost touch button backlight is not working anymore. After all I can deal with it.

kingleper
What's DOS?
Message 357 of 369

Thanks for confirmation of the shutdown/lockup problem. I was pretty much sure it wasn't a hardware issue as well but since I don't know anyone else with this phone I wasn't positive. Also interesting to hear you couldn't find anything in the logs either, that is what gave me a slight suspicioun of a hardware issue, but I thought maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place. Sorry to hear you have been so unlucky in the hardware department, I guess I have been fortunate in that regard. I was going to return my Milestone 1 for service on its loose headphone jack (a common problem that seems to have been resolved in the Milestone/droid 2) but discovered that moto uses a 3rd party for support in holland, a company which does not answer emails and charges you to call them, very bad even by dutch customer support standards, so I repaired it myself. Lets hope they release a fix for this lockup issue and then we would finally have mostly working smart phones...

lenharo
What's DOS?
Message 358 of 369

Hi Mark,

any news about the upgrade for Brazilian Milestones?

Thank you.

nickscott18
What's DOS?
Message 359 of 369

Hi Mark

The software version on my phone is Version.62.4.18.A953.AsiaRetail.en.03, shall I be expecting to see an update before Christmas, or will the Asia retail version be forgotten like it has for other updates?  Just wanting to get my phone to a current opperating system through legitimate means.

Nick

angelusmortis
What's DOS?
Message 360 of 369

Hi Mark.

Any update on this?

Or at least post the schedule to the update schedule page?

It's annoying, not just a little.

I'm checking daily. And the update would be really required since i have issues with my phone, which could be sw. problem.

(randomly losses data connection - need disable data connection and than re-enable it, Blur widgets stops working until a restart of the phone, sometimes ringtones are discarded and instead of the ringtone the phone rings with the last mp3 i've listened - I'm a dark-goth metal fan. imagine that in a workplace. )

So please at least give us a hint. I'm ok if you say it will happen in feb 2012. Not happy, but i'll accept it.

But currently the lack of any information shows that Motorola is no longer interested in us.

Personally I really like the design and hw of the moto phones. (using moto since Siemens left the mobile business... it was a while ago.)