cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
circle-stars
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 6

ice cream sandwich for milestone 2

Are we going to get a ice cream sandwich update for MS2 users?

raguilare
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 6

Re: ice cream sandwich for milestone 2

Not even in your wildest dreams! We´re requesting the Gingerbread update and we dont have it. Obviously you need to update by other ways: CYANOGENMOD.

Good Luck

gurkenpetr
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

Hi Guys!

I bought my Milestone 2 in November 2010 because I thought that I needed to have a smartphone with a keyboard. After several years with Windows Mobile it felt nice to have a "snappy" UI and I didn't really care about the Android-Release that was running on the phone at first. Now that I've been using Android and the Milestone 2 for 1.5 years there are some things that I need to say about Google, Motorola and the entire "Android-World". First there seems to be a question arising throughout the whole community (even the ct', one of the most widely read it-magazines here in Germany, wrote about it in one of its last numbers): why do we have to buy Android-hardware without the current Android-Release? I, as most of you, bought a Milestone 2 with Froyo installed on it. I didn't bother when we didn't get Gingerbread in December 2010 but I began to wonder about Motorolas policies in the area of softwareupdates in the whole year that I had to wait. In November 2011 Google and some business-executives gave there promises to end the fragmentation of Android-releases. Speaking with the knowledge that I have now, these promises seem pretty meaningless. Nothing has changed and I don't think that it is going to in the near future. And even worse: the smartphone-industry stops the software-development for "legacy-devices" like the Milestone 2. I really can't understand why it seems to be more profitable to bring out several new phones every year than to remain attached to a couple of products for a slightly longer period of time. I understand that the problem lies in the different hardware and the adjustments that have to be made to the Android-kernel, but: why doesn't Google help in the development of drivers or the adaption of the system? With my Windows System I don't have to wait a year to get softwareupdates, why do I have to wait this long with Android? I can't understand why a centralized update-policy like it is being used on Windows, several Linux-Distributions or Mac OS X can't be adapted to the Android-cosmos.

The current solution, that I found for me is to wait for the iPhone 5 to be released. Apple might not be the "nicest" it-company to buy products from, but they manage to keep their customers up-to-date for much longer periods.

What do you guys think about Android in general? Does somebody here share my view?

Greetings from Frankfurt,

Bjoern

p.s.: One thing that I didn't write about here is the quality of the manufacturing. The Milestone 2 is my second Motorola-phone after a Razr V3 that I used for about 2 years. I would describe myself as a "nerdy" kind of user who keeps his belongigs in its best order, but the blue coating of my Razr began to "wear off" after some months and my Milestone 2's autofocus is broken (I've to send it in) and there is dust under the front screen (the sealing of the speaker seems to be one of the problems of this phone).

gurkenpetr
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

Just to give an update: I recently installed the latest CM ICS build and have to say that it's really awesome! After the crappy Gingerbread that Motorola supplied us with I finally have a phone that really fits my needs (faster - VLC is running well - the battery lasts for a whole day!).

nono_moto
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

Hi there, 

Just wondering if I should go down this route as well. My phone has been going all weird recently (hanging, rebooting) etc.

- Switch on Google Navigation, phone reboots.

- Try to delete a song, phone hangs.

- Connect to PC via USB, phone hangs THEN reboots.

Woohoo.

Also noticed Cyanogenmode is not officially supported for Milestone?

Bjoern,

I share your sentiments. I too wanted a phone with a keyboard and after extensive research I bought it April 2011. While build quality is good the software is driving me mad. 

I also got a Samsung Galaxy Note running ICS n must say it is superior...

nono...Moto!!!

gurkenpetr
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

Hey!

You're right, there's no official CM port of CM9 or CM10 for our MS2 (the device got the legacy status some time ago). But: development is still going on and there are a couple of guys knitting together a nice port of cm9 AND cm10 (jelly bean). I'm currently running Jelly Bean on my old MS2 and have to say that the build is pretty stable! The new possibilities regarding software are really awesome (for instance: Chrome is by far the best browser that I've seen on Android, yet).

The process of "updating" is very easy and there are a lot of manuals or nice people who can help on the XDA developer forums.

I can't take responsibility for what you do with your phones but I've to tell you that ICS (and now even Jelly Bean!) really revived my Milestone 2.

But: even though I'll probably switch to Apple's new iPhone by the end of the year / next year, because Googles and all the Manufacturers policies regarding official software updates really do annoy me. Sorry Googlerola, but you really blew it. Even now you don't supply us with the possibility to unlock our bootloaders (while we KNOW that there are developer MS2s without it) on your new unlocking site?

Greetings,

Bjoern