03-17-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 26

Cast Screen through Mira cast not working

2015-03-17, 8:06 AM

Pretty disappointing see that even though the E2 is running on Android 5.0 it still doesn't supports Screen Cast through Mira cast.

Even my 2 year old tablet running on Android 4.2 supported Mira cast and casted pretty well.

Almost all post 4.2 devices support Mira cast except this even though it has a capable hardware. I hope Motorola fixes this ASAP

P.S. Cast screen is an available under both quick settings and display settings, but no option to enable it.

Solved! See the solution
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 26

Re: Cast Screen through Mira cast not working

2015-03-17, 11:34 AM

I know on some of the budget and midrange phones, Motorola made the decision to disable some features to ensure a good user experience. This is probably one of those cases. I know one phone did not perform well when streaming and casting and so that feature was not enabled. 

When purchasing a phone for the price point of the E, you should expect some features to not be present. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

234 Posts

03-17-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 26

2015-03-17, 14:00 PM
Well going by the price, Mira cast works perfectly fine on Lenovo A6000 *similar price, CPU, GPU everything except it runs on Android KitKat* but still it supports Miracast.
Also, my tablet(Samsung tab 2) had a 1ghz dual core processor and casted pretty well on Android 4.2, that's what makes 'hardware limitations' on E2(and Moto G2 too) sound ridiculous. I hope Motorola fixes this ASAP.
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 26

2015-03-17, 14:53 PM

I know the E 1st gen supports chromecast. The 1st gen G is the one that had Miracast disabled due to the radio architecture, but it predated the E.

I don't know if any Lollipop devices now support Miracast. You may have to go the chromecast route. 

EDIT - so some do. But i see now that you don't have the 3 dot menu and check box to enable screen mirroring. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

234 Posts

03-17-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 26

2015-03-17, 15:11 PM
Android supports Mira cast since 4.2 and obviously lollipop supports it otherwise Google wouldn't have given an option of 'Cast Screen' natively in quick settings.

Anyway i hope Motorola enables it in some future updates..

EDIT - Yup exactly, there's no option to enable.
Options

5 Posts

12-01-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 26

2015-03-18, 23:05 PM

Hi Rohan9 - 

We currently don't support Miracast on the E2 because of the user experience.  The E2 is a 2.4 GHz only WiFi product.  Due to the amount of interference at 2.4 GHz, the user experience for video and audio did not meet user expectations.  We do support Miracast on other Motorola products that support 5 GHz WiFi such as the Moto X and Droid Turbo.  If Miracast is an important feature to you, those products will be more capable of better meeting your expectations.  

Dan

Options

234 Posts

03-17-2015

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 26

2015-03-19, 6:04 AM

Due to the amount of interference at 2.4 GHz, the user experience for video and audio did not meet user expectations.

View original

If it doesn't meets our expectation at all then we won't use it, simple! But at least give an option.

As i said before, there are tons of Miracast supporting devices which are 2.4 GHz only.I think Motorola should let users decide if they want to use Miracast or not.

So please enable Miracast even if Cast will be 10 seconds late! Most of the users are jus gonna play movies through Miracast so it doesn't really matters.

Jus give an option to enable it next update(maybe in developer options) and let users decide if they want to use it or not.

P.S. I saw on YouTube that many users enabled it themselves after rooting, which means Miracast works on Moto E.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 8 of 26

2015-03-19, 12:23 PM

Rohan9 said:

Due to the amount of interference at 2.4 GHz, the user experience for video and audio did not meet user expectations.

View original

If it doesn't meets our expectation at all then we won't use it, simple! But at least give an option.

As i said before, there are tons of Miracast supporting devices which are 2.4 GHz only.I think Motorola should let users decide if they want to use Miracast or not.

So please enable Miracast even if Cast will be 10 seconds late! Most of the users are jus gonna play movies through Miracast so it doesn't really matters.

Jus give an option to enable it next update(maybe in developer options) and let users decide if they want to use it or not.

P.S. I saw on YouTube that many users enabled it themselves after rooting, which means Miracast works on Moto E.

View original

I am not a moto employee so this is my opinion, but enabling something that does not work well is a recipe for a disaster. When someone calls or posts that their video casting is choppy - the only answer that can then be given is "that is the best it is" - most people would not be happy with that. 

It is easy to say "let them make their own decision", but if you look around, the feedback to something that doesn't work well is a lot worse then the feedback regarding something that is missing. 

And of course Motorola does have to differentiate the products. If you want all the bells and whistles, you buy the more premium product. 

Options

19088 Posts

02-03-2016

US

2337 Signins

57462 Page Views

• Views: 57462
  • Message 9 of 26

2015-03-19, 14:25 PM

None of our Value products -- Moto Es or Gs we've released -- will support Miracast. 

Moto E 2nd Gen currently supports Chromecast App 1.9.6 or Above (Left Pull Out Drawer -> Cast Screen). There are plans to enable Chromecast support using Settings->Display->Cast Screen and Notification Bar->Cast Screen Tile on the Moto E 2nd Gen.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

06-02-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 26

2015-07-02, 18:04 PM

Hello, I own a Nexus 7 and a samsung note 2 and 2 Moto E and second generation, as they have sufficient hardware and wifi band as well as the hardware. As stated above, "... many users enabled it Themselves after rooting, Which means Miracast works on Moto E...", and this is also evident in your assertion that "...There are plans to enable Chromecast support using Settings->Display->Cast Screen and Notification Bar->Cast Screen Tile on the Moto E 2nd Gen...". Why only with CHROMECAST, that is a proprietary product from Google(Motorola? lenovo?), it will be unlocked?.

If we must buy an expensive Motorola phone to have just miracast working, it is better unlock this directly via rooting, or just buy another brand phone.

I teach students of embedded engineering develop applications exploiting exactly this functionality and would be a shame spread among them the information that Motorola deliberately blocked that In Software, forcing inducing the purchase of more expensive products ...

Therefore, if you feelit it is important, please forward this information to those responsible for marketing of the "entry level" products. A handful of apps developers targeting  teachers, salesmen,... rather still recommend Motorola to its customers if the smart and simple act of releasing one PATCH (an upgrade if you want ) be made available immediately.

greetings

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete