Options

2 Posts

01-17-2017

LU

1 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

Data connection of Moto E2 LTE drops into EDGE and stays on EDGE although phone claims HSPA

2017-01-17, 14:50 PM

Noticed recently that my download speed was only 0.5Mbit/s although phone using HSPA. Called the operator who said I was connected via EDGE and suggested my phone modem was jammed into (evolved) EDGE, still on 3G but EDGE instead of HSPA. Indeed that seems to be the case. After turning cellular data off and on again, I get real HSPA speeds. But after a while the phone seems to switch to EDGE again despite status showing HSPA, speed down to 0.5. It is annoying to have to constantly be turning cell data off&on to restore fast connection. Is this a known problem? Any remedy? Running Android 6.0.

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Data connection of Moto E2 LTE drops into EDGE and stays on EDGE although phone claims HSPA

2017-01-17, 15:59 PM

wrote:

Noticed recently that my download speed was only 0.5Mbit/s although phone using HSPA. Called the operator who said I was connected via EDGE and suggested my phone modem was jammed into (evolved) EDGE, still on 3G but EDGE instead of HSPA. Indeed that seems to be the case. After turning cellular data off and on again, I get real HSPA speeds. But after a while the phone seems to switch to EDGE again despite status showing HSPA, speed down to 0.5. It is annoying to have to constantly be turning cell data off&on to restore fast connection. Is this a known problem? Any remedy? Running Android 6.0.

If the display says HSPA, then I believe that. You can be connected to HSPA and have slow speed - I have seen it plenty of times, but it doesn't mean I am connected to Edge. 

Also 3G (and 3.5G HSPA) are based on UMTS - very different from Edge. The protocols are different, so there is no way the phone could should 3G when connected to Edge. 

The operator was likely making an assumption based on speed you reported. 

Everything you describe sounds like a slow connection from the tower you are connecting to. Cycling cell data just forces a new connection.  Slow 3G is still 3G. 

Edge maxes out at 384Kb, and 3G starts at 384 and HSPA at 600. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

2 Posts

01-17-2017

LU

1 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 5

Re: Data connection of Moto E2 LTE drops into EDGE and stays on EDGE although phone claims HSPA

2017-01-17, 16:15 PM
That's what I was saying to the carrier tech support, but he really verified my connection was EDGE. Seems they must have deployed Evolved EDGE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution#Evolved_EDGE
The speed always goes down to 0.5, then after cycling to normal 5-10. Once I happened to be looking at the screen when the data connection dropped, then it showed EDGE for some seconds and then HSPA again. But speed still 0.5 until I cycled. This problem started only some days ago.
Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 4 of 5

2017-01-17, 16:32 PM

wrote:
That's what I was saying to the carrier tech support, but he really verified my connection was EDGE. Seems they must have deployed Evolved EDGE:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution#Evolved_EDGE
The speed always goes down to 0.5, then after cycling to normal 5-10. Once I happened to be looking at the screen when the data connection dropped, then it showed EDGE for some seconds and then HSPA again. But speed still 0.5 until I cycled. This problem started only some days ago.

If the problem just started, it seems unlikely it is the phone unless an update occurred at the same time. It still strikes me as a carrier issue though. 

No one else has reported anything like this. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

1 Posts

08-31-2019

PK

1 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-08-31, 11:10 AM

Hello,

I'm having the same problem it shows me 3g at top but when i checked the status in settings it was showing me Edge and data romaing not enabled while I have already enabled it i have tried changing my apn but still the same problem is coming. Please tell me the solution for this I'm literally confused why its not working on 3g and connected to edge.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete