Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 2nd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

12-05-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 1 of 2

Is a phone battery any good after a long storage discharged to 0%?

2017-01-02, 20:47 PM

Is a phone battery good after a long storage discharged to 0%?

I have just bought a new, unused Moto E2 in the sealed, unopened package from a reputable store, in person (not online).

The battery was fully discharged, to 0%, probably from a very long storage on shelf. I think more than one year.

So the phone did not even start until I charged the battery for a few minutes.

Now the battery is charging showing 5%. I assume I will be able to charge the battery to 100%

Should I expect that the battery is irreversibly reduced in capacity from being discharged so deeply and for so long time?

If so, I could still return it to the store 

Is there a good Android app to test  (via full discharge cycle) and evaluate the factual battery capacity?

I understand that my question has little to do with  specifically Moto E, but rather about batteries in general.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Is a phone battery any good after a long storage discharged to 0%?

2017-01-02, 22:59 PM

wrote:

Is a phone battery good after a long storage discharged to 0%?

I have just bought a new, unused Moto E2 in the sealed, unopened package from a reputable store, in person (not online).

The battery was fully discharged, to 0%, probably from a very long storage on shelf. I think more than one year.

So the phone did not even start until I charged the battery for a few minutes.

Now the battery is charging showing 5%. I assume I will be able to charge the battery to 100%

Should I expect that the battery is irreversibly reduced in capacity from being discharged so deeply and for so long time?

If so, I could still return it to the store 

Is there a good Android app to test  (via full discharge cycle) and evaluate the factual battery capacity?

I understand that my question has little to do with  specifically Moto E, but rather about batteries in general.

It is probably fine, but the only real test is using it. To truly test a battery, would require removal and testing with battery test tools. But even that will not predict longevity. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms