US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Moto E 2nd Gen. Lollipop 5.0.2 won't allow Update to Marshmallow 6.0

2020-01-27, 2:54 AM

Hello out there

I need some help, or atleast answer as to why my phone isn't giving me an option to update/upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0 (I think that is the latest version??).

When I check in "about phone" for system updates, it says "already up to date".  Phone info below:

Moto E 2nd Generation, 4G LTE

XT1527 Sku

It's a free phone, I mean... no carrier.

Thanks in advance.

Options

1974 Posts

03-11-2019

US

590 Signins

42140 Page Views

• Views: 42140
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Moto E 2nd Gen. Lollipop 5.0.2 won't allow Update to Marshmallow 6.0

2020-01-30, 15:00 PM

Hi Carint,

Thanks for posting. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier, and IMEI, this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

You may also try to check if your phone has the latest update by using our Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant Tool for the PC. 

Instructions Link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht102605

Download Link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

0 Posts

01-27-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2020-01-30, 18:42 PM

"Thanks for posting. Please update your profile with current phone, carrier, and IMEI, this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems."

- Done

"You may also try to check if your phone has the latest update by using our Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant Tool for the PC. 

Instructions Link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht102605

Download Link: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101291"

- I click "Device", but nothing happens.

I try to connect via Fastboot when program requires, but It says "Device non compatible".....

Options

1974 Posts

03-11-2019

US

590 Signins

42140 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-01-30, 21:49 PM

Hi Carint,

We checked that you are behind 2 software updates. Please see the private message that I sent you.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

0 Posts

02-04-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

Moto E 2nd Gen, how to upgrade to Android 6?

2020-02-04, 7:57 AM

Hello,

I have a Moto E2 cell phone which I bought in 2016 from an AT&T retail store. Currently my service provider is T-Mobile and the cell phone's OS is Android 5.1. I think the phone is unlocked (or was unlocked when I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile). The phone works alright and I don't want to buy a new one. I want to upgrade the OS of the phone because it is running out of internal memory space trying to upgrade installed apps. I have read that Android 6 can treat the external micro SD card as internal memory.

Reading this thread MOTO-E-2nd-Gen/Moto-E-2nd-Gen-Lollipop-5-0-2-won-t-allow-Update-to-Marshmallow, I have downloaded and installed Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant on my PC. The phone connects correctly through a USB data cable with my PC and I followed the steps (developer options and such) to have the Mobile Assistant on the phone.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Options

1974 Posts

03-11-2019

US

590 Signins

42140 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

Re: Moto E 2nd Gen, how to upgrade to Android 6?

2020-02-04, 19:57 PM

Hi ogenos,

Were you able to successfully connect the Moto E2 with the LMSA tool? If you are able to connect to the tool, were you able to check if there were available updates? 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

0 Posts

02-04-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-02-04, 22:35 PM

Hello Zeke,

This is what LMSA shows when the cell phone is connected through the USB cable. It definitely is the max kernel that AT&T has allowed for Moto E2 cell phones. Would it be possible to upgrade to Android 6 without causing any problems? The phone is in good shape as it is, only short of space where to install current software upgrades.

Thanks.

Options

1974 Posts

03-11-2019

US

590 Signins

42140 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2020-02-05, 14:09 PM

Hi ogenos,

Thanks for posting the screenshot. It does look like you are up to date on your software update from the tool. It might cause more problems if you forced the phone to update to Android 6. Please update your profile with your current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me double-check if your phone is on the latest software update. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

0 Posts

02-04-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2020-02-06, 4:15 AM
I updated my profile. Its OK for you to check if the upgrade of my cell phone's OS to Android 6 is possible.

Thanks
Options

1 Posts

06-23-2020

IT

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 10 of 10

Re:Moto E 2nd Gen. Lollipop 5.0.2 won't allow Update to Marshmallow 6.0

2020-06-23, 22:11 PM

Hello Zeke, 

I have the same problem with my Moto E2 4G LTE. 

From the Settings menu no updates are available. 

From LMSA tool I can connect to the device but, in the "Rescue" panel, it is impossible for me to find the correct SKU. I have a XT1524 but this version is not available in the picklist. Here in Italy a new app called "Immuni" has been developed  by the Italian Government to track the possible contacts with people that may have got in touch with Coronavirus. I don't know if it will work fine or not, but it it is worth a try. On the other hand, it requires Android 6 or higher. Do you think it is possible to update the phone? When I bought it, in October 2016, I had been receiving the notifications of the new Android releases for months, but I didn't install it because the phone was fine and fast. Now the update is no more available. Does it depend on the expired warranty? 

Thank you for your support. 

Best Regards, 

GBorghet

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete