Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTO E™ 2nd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-26-2017

GB

16 Signins

130 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎10-26-2017
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 130
  • Message 1 of 17

Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-10-26, 14:04 PM

Moto E 2nd (4G LTE) XT1524 running Android 6. About 18 months old.

 

Once battery gets below a certain level (70-80%) it will suddenly flash up a 0% battery warning and power off. It does this even if phone is in standby.

Trying to power up fails, showing Android 0% battery screen

Once plugged into a charger, phone can immediately be powered back on and shows battery back at original level (70-80%)

 

Any help or suggestions welcome

 

Thanks

 

 

 

Reply
Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

  • Posts: 2438
  • Registered: ‎12-19-2016
  • Location: PH
  • Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-10-27, 16:47 PM

wrote:

Moto E 2nd (4G LTE) XT1524 running Android 6. About 18 months old.

 

Once battery gets below a certain level (70-80%) it will suddenly flash up a 0% battery warning and power off. It does this even if phone is in standby.

Trying to power up fails, showing Android 0% battery screen

Once plugged into a charger, phone can immediately be powered back on and shows battery back at original level (70-80%)

 

Any help or suggestions welcome

 

Thanks

 

 

 


Hi francisbyng

 

I suggest battery calibration. To calibrate the battery, press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours. Let me know how it goes. 

 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Reply
Options

6 Posts

10-26-2017

GB

16 Signins

130 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎10-26-2017
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 130
  • Message 3 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-10-30, 8:42 AM

Hi Ella, thanks for the advice.

I did as you suggested, and fully charged the phone.

Then after 24 hours of light use, the phone powered off (as I was looking at it) with the battery meter at 84%.

After plugging in the charger for a few minutes I was able to restart it and the battery meter then showed 85%. I left it alone with the battery meter showing and after a few more minutes the battery meter fell to 84% and the phone powered off again.

Once again I plugged the phone in to the charger, and charged it for 15 minutes, then restarted it. The battery showed 89%.

Then I opened half-a-dozen apps simultaneously and as I opened the last one (Chrome) the phone shut down again.

 

My only thought is to wonder whether after 24 hours of (admittedly light) use a battery reading of 84% is likely? Maybe the battery really is discharged and it is the battery meter app/sensor that is playing up.....

 

What do you think?

 

Reply
Options

3 Posts

10-31-2017

US

6 Signins

75 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎10-31-2017
  • Location: US
  • Views: 75
  • Message 4 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-10-31, 22:45 PM

I may have the same issue. This afternoon my phone suddenly shut down. I got the "powering down" window. When I pressed the power button, I briefly got a white screen with the outline of a battery with a plug inside. There was a red line on the bottom of the battery. It showed "0%".

 

I knew the phone had plenty of charge. I barely used it today. So, I plugged the phone in with the wall charger. I got the typical black screen with the blue battery. The screen showed 80% battery left. I let it charge to 100%. I haven't had the shut down since. It's been about two hours.

 

 

 

 

 

Reply
Options

6 Posts

10-26-2017

GB

16 Signins

130 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎10-26-2017
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 130
  • Message 5 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-01, 21:12 PM

wrote:

I may have the same issue. This afternoon my phone suddenly shut down. I got the "powering down" window. When I pressed the power button, I briefly got a white screen with the outline of a battery with a plug inside. There was a red line on the bottom of the battery. It showed "0%".

 

I knew the phone had plenty of charge. I barely used it today. So, I plugged the phone in with the wall charger. I got the typical black screen with the blue battery. The screen showed 80% battery left. I let it charge to 100%. I haven't had the shut down since. It's been about two hours.

 

 

 

 

 


Yes, this is exactly the same as I experienced.

 

I assume the advice from Ella (above) amounted to "battery calibration" but it has not worked.

 

Anyone else have ideas, or links to other posts with same problem?

Reply
Options

3 Posts

10-31-2017

US

6 Signins

75 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎10-31-2017
  • Location: US
  • Views: 75
  • Message 6 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-01, 21:39 PM

More details: My phone died away from home. When I got home I plugged it in and saw that it still had 80% left. Then, I kept it plugged in, and pressed the power button. This turned on the phone. I wanted to make sure that, if I had to replace it, that I had everything I needed off of it. I then let it charge up  to 100% and a little bit longer.

 

 I had planned on trying to recharge it at home, and then going to the library to go online to do some research. But, the charging at home seemed to work. But, I still wanted to see what was going on. So, I did end up going to the library to do some research. That's how I found this forum.

 

So, maybe try plugging it in, and turning it on if it has a good amount of juice showing on that blue battery charging screen?

The Motorola Agent would know what is best. But, this might be worth a try. And, you may be able to access your phone. If you're in a pinch, this could mean that you have your phone available to you plugged in at work or at home until you can replace it if that is the only solution. I don't know about a car charger. I don't have one.

 

Between the time my phone died and I recharged it, I made a list. I was also going to research:

1. How much a new battery would cost.

2. If I could replace the battery myself (Probably by posting a question in this forum)

3. How much taking it to Verizon (my carrier) would cost

4. How much a replacement phone would be

 

 

 

 

Reply
Options

3 Posts

10-31-2017

US

6 Signins

75 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎10-31-2017
  • Location: US
  • Views: 75
  • Message 7 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-02, 17:00 PM

 I had this happen again today. I did some searching online and found that by pressing all three buttons at once, I can get an Android status report. It said that the battery was OK.

Then, my phone became totally unresponsive no matter what I did or pressed.

My phone is over two years old. The battery may need to be replaced.

I looked online and, if I wanted to do it myself, it seems like I would have to melt the glue that holds the back in place. I'm not going to attempt that. And, if I take it in for service, that will be...well...let's just say compared to the relatively inexpensive replacement cost of a new Moto E, it is better for me just to get a new phone. So, that's what I'm going to do.

 

I have always had the best luck with Motorola phones from back when I got my first flip phone to this, my first smart phone. The other brands of phones always seemed to have something go wrong with them for me. So, I'm going to stick with a Moto E for now. I should add that I am very careful with my phones. I don't drop them, and I use a zip-lock bag if there is any chance for it to get wet when I am out hiking.

 

Best of luck.

 

Reply
Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

  • Posts: 2438
  • Registered: ‎12-19-2016
  • Location: PH
  • Views: 37577
  • Message 8 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-03, 21:19 PM

wrote:

Hi Ella, thanks for the advice.

I did as you suggested, and fully charged the phone.

Then after 24 hours of light use, the phone powered off (as I was looking at it) with the battery meter at 84%.

After plugging in the charger for a few minutes I was able to restart it and the battery meter then showed 85%. I left it alone with the battery meter showing and after a few more minutes the battery meter fell to 84% and the phone powered off again.

Once again I plugged the phone in to the charger, and charged it for 15 minutes, then restarted it. The battery showed 89%.

Then I opened half-a-dozen apps simultaneously and as I opened the last one (Chrome) the phone shut down again.

 

My only thought is to wonder whether after 24 hours of (admittedly light) use a battery reading of 84% is likely? Maybe the battery really is discharged and it is the battery meter app/sensor that is playing up.....

 

What do you think?

 


Hi francisbyng

 

Have you tried booting the phone to safe mode and observe if it will act the same? If in case it has not helped, please try to go to Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Battery > Passed/Failed. Last resort would be resetting the phone with no restore and then observe the phone for 24 hours.

 

- Ella

Reply
Options

6 Posts

10-26-2017

GB

16 Signins

130 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎10-26-2017
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 130
  • Message 9 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-06, 20:35 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Hi Ella, thanks for the advice.

I did as you suggested, and fully charged the phone.

Then after 24 hours of light use, the phone powered off (as I was looking at it) with the battery meter at 84%.

After plugging in the charger for a few minutes I was able to restart it and the battery meter then showed 85%. I left it alone with the battery meter showing and after a few more minutes the battery meter fell to 84% and the phone powered off again.

Once again I plugged the phone in to the charger, and charged it for 15 minutes, then restarted it. The battery showed 89%.

Then I opened half-a-dozen apps simultaneously and as I opened the last one (Chrome) the phone shut down again.

 

My only thought is to wonder whether after 24 hours of (admittedly light) use a battery reading of 84% is likely? Maybe the battery really is discharged and it is the battery meter app/sensor that is playing up.....

 

What do you think?

 


Hi francisbyng

 

Have you tried booting the phone to safe mode and observe if it will act the same? If in case it has not helped, please try to go to Device Help > Fix > Hardware Tests > Battery > Passed/Failed. Last resort would be resetting the phone with no restore and then observe the phone for 24 hours.

 

- Ella


Thanks for your further advice.

 

Safe Mode made no difference. Powers off at just the same point.

Hardware Test>Battery shows "Battery OK"

 

Before I go to the trouble of doing a factory reset can you tell me what the issue is, and thus why a reset could work?

 

I have seen other mentions of similar battery issues with Moto phones so feel sure someone at Motorola/Lenovo must have an idea of what could be causing this.

 

Thanks again

 

Francis

Reply
Options

6 Posts

10-26-2017

GB

16 Signins

130 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎10-26-2017
  • Location: GB
  • Views: 130
  • Message 10 of 17

Re: Moto E 2nd - sudden battery drain and power off

2017-11-12, 19:09 PM

OK, update....

 

Carried out a factory reset (no restore) but this did not solve the problem

 

While performing a number of app updates following the restart, the phone actually powered off while plugged into the charger.

 

And thereafter powers off as before at around 84%

 

This must be a hardware/battery issue but as I will have to get some sort of a replacement phone anyway if I send this away to be repaired I might as well go with rt-hawk (above) and dump this phone.

 

After many years of Motorola I won't be buying again, sadly. This phone is only two years old and has had another ongoing issue which has never been resolved (constant unmounting of SD card and loss of data) so my trust in the make has been exhausted

 

Good luck to anyone else with the same problem

 

 

 

 

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete