Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 4th Gen / MOTO E™ 4th Gen Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

90 Posts

08-29-2017

United States of America

78 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Views: 1083
  • Message 491 of 803

Re: NEED Android O 8.0 Oreo update for moto e4 plus with all bugs cleared

2018-02-08, 23:12 PM

My sense is, most of the Lenovo line is representative of the Chinese way of doing things:  quick manufacturer, quick obsolesence, quick new sale.

My most serious regret re the Moto E4 Plus -- which I enjoy using, mostly -- is having to provide my own security, since Lenovo considers security an afterthought or unnecessary.  In today's environment, that can be fatal.

My second regret is doing without visual notifications unless I install a suboptimal launcher.  Bizarre. It negates 50% of the value of owning a mobile device.  Why take your phone with you if you can't readily see who's trying to get in touch, when key email arrives, when someone's breaking into your home, when nuclear war begins, etc.? 

Nougat's absence of visual notifications leads to misinformation, misunderstandings, and missed opportunities. 

Also, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the Moto E4 Plus seems to have a habit of eating SD cards. My own SD is now limited to 30% capacity as a result of ... ? ... and can't be reformatted.  Sure, I can buy a new SD for US $75 or $120, but therein lies the rub: for all the E4 Plus' economies and reasonably enjoyable use, its follow-on costs -- financial and in terms of service limitations -- make buying another brand irresistible when the time comes for a new phone. 

Next round, Lenovo will lose the entire Indian market, where the Moto E4 and Plus were really hyped, and a good share of North American, European, and even Chinese buyers, too.  It didnt' have to be....

Options

90 Posts

08-29-2017

United States of America

78 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Message 492 of 803

2018-02-08, 23:34 PM

wrote:
"Your two years are for security updates bro, not a new os."

Yes, Anthony. and I and other new customers still deserve one at least. 

I'm contacting my carrier (Verizon, which also was selling the Moto E4 Plus), to (a) inform them and (b) request a security update.

Options

90 Posts

08-29-2017

United States of America

78 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Message 493 of 803

2018-02-09, 1:04 AM

Yes, Verizon offered a security update in October 2017, apparently more competent than the stock security from Lenovo, dated July 2017.  But it can only be downloaded to Verizon-sold phones. Mine was purchased from Amazon.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/motorola-moto-e4-plus-update/

If Verizon could do it, why can't Lenovo?  An embarrassment.  Much loss of face.

Options

454 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

606 Signins

7395 Page Views

• Views: 7395
  • Message 494 of 803

2018-02-09, 11:27 AM
I agree, but your first mistake was expecting Motorola to be Motorola now that it's been sold twice, had all it's patents taken before Google sold the name to Lenovo. You are on Lenovo time now bro.....not Motorola
Options

454 Posts

10-28-2017

United States of America

606 Signins

7395 Page Views

• Views: 7395
  • Message 495 of 803

2018-02-09, 11:32 AM

Bottom line is we bought what Lenovo calls a budget device, both the 4 and the+. 

The device was basically rendered dead upon purchase for os updates. Budget devices normally come stock with a rather clean or " vanilla" version of Android. Which allows the consumer to purchase a cheap yet current device with the newest operating system. This is done for the simple reason the oem knows this is as far as the devices life will go. It gives consumers that cannot afford a Google device, or top tier device something that is still new and fresh. I mean in reality nougat 7.1.1 isn't in very many devices, more people are on marshmallow. So this budget device was made, allot of makers do this. The only difference is they keep up with security patches and updates, Lenovo is failing miserably with this. 

Options

5 Posts

12-11-2017

India

60 Signins

447 Page Views

• Views: 447
  • Message 496 of 803

2018-02-09, 12:39 PM
Compare the Redmi y1 and Moto e4 Plus,. Redmi y1 is the feature mobile .
Options

26 Posts

02-08-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

24 Signins

202 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 202
  • Message 497 of 803

2018-02-09, 13:27 PM

wrote:

Bottom line is we bought what Lenovo calls a budget device, both the 4 and the+. 

The device was basically rendered dead upon purchase for os updates. Budget devices normally come stock with a rather clean or " vanilla" version of Android. Which allows the consumer to purchase a cheap yet current device with the newest operating system. This is done for the simple reason the oem knows this is as far as the devices life will go. It gives consumers that cannot afford a Google device, or top tier device something that is still new and fresh. I mean in reality nougat 7.1.1 isn't in very many devices, more people are on marshmallow. So this budget device was made, allot of makers do this. The only difference is they keep up with security patches and updates, Lenovo is failing miserably with this. 

I agree with everything you said I do love this device it's new and fresh for me that is why it's a luxury for me. The device ain't ugly either I've had a few people ask is it a top tier and I was like no but it runs the one of the latest android version and has decent spec and the battery is killer but for me it ain't the Oreo update I'm bothered about it's just the security updates I'm concerned about as this will be lasting me a good while but I can't knock Lenovo/Moto for making a great device I'm more than happy with

S.Cunningham
Options

7 Posts

02-10-2018

United States of America

8 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 498 of 803

2018-02-10, 5:35 AM

I read a couple pages of this thread, that was enough lol

I get it, people want the latest and greatest.  I just bought this phone too....but I had no expectations of getting Oreo.

Let's be real...I got this phone for $59.

I ran on kit Kat for the last 3 years.....3 years.

Economically, it's just not worth it for Moto/Lenovo to update these low end devices, so be it.

Frankly I'd rather buy a shiny new $59 device every single year then waste $1000 on a pixel or some such and I guess hope they support it for 10 years?

Options

38 Posts

11-12-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 499 of 803

2018-02-10, 6:01 AM

wrote:

You really should check how many devices still run marshmallow I think it's 28%, nougat JUST and I mean a couple days ago became the most used operating system currently with OREO ONLY BEING IN 1.1% OF DEVICES so do please tell me why this device deserves OREO?
Please don't be ignorant, deal with fact that it's over for the E4 and E4 plus ok.
It's really comical how not even 2% of devices have Oreo and you people are begging for it.
You keep drinking on about Nokia, well maybe you should have bought one. You keep saying that they are PLANNING on updating all their devices, yet they haven't at all.
I get what you are saying but you need to understand that unless you buy a pixel, Galaxy, even blackberry has a device with Oreo, but that's it my friend. You just aren't understanding how slow Android and it's operating system updates work, so yes this like repeating myself because you and I have already had this conversation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2017/12/12/google-android-oreo-platform-update/
Start here, you know me I'll go all day. It's not a matter of being right about something or wrong it's about being educated and understanding why things work the way they do

Oh yeah I fully realize that it is over for the E4/E4 Plus...Moto showed me the company they have become...Don't worry I know...Um the Nokia 6 and 7 got the stable Oreo update in Mid-Jan and the low/mid range Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 already got the stable Oreo update too....What are you talking about NOkia isn't delievering..? they have updated almost all their phones except the super low end Nokia 3 &2...The Finns do what they say...Just ask Russia.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/30/nokia-rolls-official-oreo-update-nokia-5-6/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/15/android-8-0-oreo-rolling-nokia-6-2018-nokia-7/

Also I didn't expect the E4 to be first in line to get Oreo...But over 2 years it should have got it eventually. Of course all the flagships need to be updated first and that is fine. But to NEVER update a device so new...Absurd. When little nokia is banging out updates like there is no tomorrow. As you can see above. I don't care if they get to the NOkia 2 until a year from now...fine, but I guranteee they will update it. 

And Yeah don't worry I threw the obsolete in the drawer for backup and got me a Nokia...I support the companies that support their customers....It already got the Jan 2018 security patch the first time I booted up..My E4 was still on Sept 2017...Apparantly android updates are only as slow as they want them to be...So to say again...I know most devices don't have Oreo yet, but mostly all of them will get it sooner or later...They didn't just abandon their phones. 

Options

38 Posts

11-12-2017

United States of America

21 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 500 of 803

2018-02-10, 6:20 AM

wrote:

I read a couple pages of this thread, that was enough lol

I get it, people want the latest and greatest.  I just bought this phone too....but I had no expectations of getting Oreo.

Let's be real...I got this phone for $59.

I ran on kit Kat for the last 3 years.....3 years.

Economically, it's just not worth it for Moto/Lenovo to update these low end devices, so be it.

Frankly I'd rather buy a shiny new $59 device every single year then waste $1000 on a pixel or some such and I guess hope they support it for 10 years?

I hear ya and I'm glad you got up from Kit Kat...Though for its time Kit Kat was a beast....But come on you gotta read the whole Saga that this thread has easily become....:) But in all seriousness, the E4 and especially E4 plus wasn't near that cheap when it first came out. For the unlocked(not the carrier locked) version the E4 was 100 bones and I forgot how much the E4 plus was....like 150 or so...

Let me tell you Nokia is updating much worse devices to Oreo that cost around the same money...I mean 1 gig ram devices...And Nokia started from nothing a couple years ago after the Microsoft break...Moto is just falling down on the job right now...I just expect more from companies I pay money too...if you expect less, you will get less...But I get for the average person this might be fine and that's fine too.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms