Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveBerg
Paper Tape
Views: 2,882
Message 1 of 10

error while searching for networks

Hi,

My wife has a 2nd Gen Moto E (Version: p3, SKU: XT1524) and it's intermittently claiming no signal. If I go to the mobile networks menu & look for available networks searching fails immediately with the message 'error while searching for networks'.

This issue resolves itself after a while, though we can't seem to speed up it coming back to life. Restarting does nothing, reseating the SIM does nothing, changing preferred network type or toggling airplane on/off has no effect. I've no idea where to go from here - are there further diagnostic steps I can take? The network itself is fine as I'm on the same network and all keeps going fine. I can't tell if the SIM maybe somehow to blame as it's a different size card to mine and I've not got one of those adaptor thingies.

Looking for any advice on my next steps. The phone is just over 3 months old so if it's faulty I can send it back, but being an intermittent issue I want to be confident it is the phone not something else before starting what could be a painful return process.

Cheers,

Dave

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,813
Message 2 of 10

Re: error while searching for networks

@DaveBerg wrote:

Hi,

My wife has a 2nd Gen Moto E (Version: p3, SKU: XT1524) and it's intermittently claiming no signal. If I go to the mobile networks menu & look for available networks searching fails immediately with the message 'error while searching for networks'.

This issue resolves itself after a while, though we can't seem to speed up it coming back to life. Restarting does nothing, reseating the SIM does nothing, changing preferred network type or toggling airplane on/off has no effect. I've no idea where to go from here - are there further diagnostic steps I can take? The network itself is fine as I'm on the same network and all keeps going fine. I can't tell if the SIM maybe somehow to blame as it's a different size card to mine and I've not got one of those adaptor thingies.

Looking for any advice on my next steps. The phone is just over 3 months old so if it's faulty I can send it back, but being an intermittent issue I want to be confident it is the phone not something else before starting what could be a painful return process.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

We always recommend that you use the correct size SIM card and don't use adapters with it. This will make sure that the gold contacts on the SIM and the phone are sitting correctly. Can you please try to test if the issue will still occur if you are going to use a micro SIM card? Let us know what happens.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

DaveBerg
Paper Tape
Views: 2,809
Message 3 of 10

Hi JM,

Apologies if my previous message was unclear. The issue is occuring with the correct size of SIM inserted (Micro SIM), no adaptor is in use. The only reason I mentioned an adaptor is that I wanted to try the phone with a different SIM card to see if that helped, but I have no other SIMs of the right size (My own phone uses a Nano SIM so I've not inserted it).

Cheers,

Dave

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,792
Message 4 of 10

@DaveBerg wrote:

Hi JM,

Apologies if my previous message was unclear. The issue is occuring with the correct size of SIM inserted (Micro SIM), no adaptor is in use. The only reason I mentioned an adaptor is that I wanted to try the phone with a different SIM card to see if that helped, but I have no other SIMs of the right size (My own phone uses a Nano SIM so I've not inserted it).

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Our last resort is factory data reset to determine whether this is a software or hardware issue. Keep in mind that it will erase all user data from the phone, so it is adviseable to back them up before proceeding. Also, please make sure that the Automatic Restore option is unchecked.

If the issue persists after the reset, the phone needs to be serviced.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

DaveBerg
Paper Tape
Views: 2,699
Message 5 of 10

Thanks JM,

Sorry for the slow response, Christmas rather slowed everything down. I've done a factory reset and with no further software installed the same issue occurs - it has now increased in frequency to being constant. I'm contacting the seller for repair, replacement or refund. Thanks for your help even if we didn't get it working this time.

Cheers,

Dave

oliverdieker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,693
Message 6 of 10

Hello Dave,
I think we have the same problem , see
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-E-2nd-Gen/Network-issue-Connection-lost-until-reboot-after-about-1...

For me the situation improved by switching from LTE to 3G in network preferences. Sorry, I'm using german version and don't know the exact english wording.
Please post in my thread if this was a workaround for you.
Best regards
Oliver
wnzalwayz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,621
Message 7 of 10

Hi guys,

I had the same issue with my moto Z play. Moto tech support team suggested me to contact service center to resolve the issue. I tried several steps including factory reset and the issue not resolved. And as a finally I did a silly thing: swapping the sim cards. Yes, I just swapped the two sim cards of the dual sim phone and the issue got resolved!

Now I swapped the SIM cards again (that is into their previous positions) and it is working properly.

Finally the issue is resolved but the experience from Moto tech support was really makes me regret about purchasing Moto. Pathetic service.

Wnz Alwayz
AmarooNathan
What's DOS?
Views: 70
Message 8 of 10

Was this issue resolved. Same symptom with a travel sim, factory reset completed no change.

The travel Sim support people can see the phone connecting on their side but no network on the phone...

DaveBerg
Paper Tape
Views: 68
Message 9 of 10

Did not get resolved for me no, sent it to Motorola (or, their repair centre) who despite it being very new said I'd have to pay more than it cost to have repaired. It was very frustrating as there were two points of contact, one who said it would be free as it was a factory fault and the other (repair centre who had the phone) demanded money - went back and forth between them for a couple of months and many many calls before I gave up and just bought a different phone.

I wish you better luck!

Highlighted
AmarooNathan
What's DOS?
Views: 59
Message 10 of 10

Stumbled upon a workaround that may last, who knows. Placed the travel Sim in slot 1 ( as per their instructions), removed my normal Sim from slot 2. Eventually it all came good. I'm 90% sure I did that earlier, but I was a bit frustrated so maybe not or maybe the factory reset worked and it just took a bit of time to work through. 

Not exactly confident of it working when I travel in a few weeks.