Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esjayy
Punch Card
Views: 545
Message 2 of 10

How to save data and do factory reset

Hi, I tried to find the answer in archives but couldn't.

My Moto E4 has gotten so squirrely that I'd just like to go to factory reset and start over. But can I save my contacts, photos, etc to my computer and then reinstall them afterwards? This is my first smartphone and I've never dealt with the Cloud before so I don't know if everything is saved there and can be downloaded again.

First my fingerprint ID wouldn't work, then craziness with online text (like I'm doing here--it's a nightmare) and now the camera won't hold a setting.

Can you help please?

esjayy
Punch Card
Views: 546
Message 1 of 10

Save data and go to factory reset

Hi, I've tried to find the answer in archives but couldn't.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 521
Message 3 of 10

Re: How to save data and do factory reset

Hi esjayy,

Sorry to learn that you have challenges with your phone. Before doing a factory reset, it is advisable that you back the data on your phone. The following links should help.

Transferring files: https://support.motorola.com/us/en/Guide/ML120282

Import/Export Contacts from SD card: https://support.motorola.com/us/en/Solution/MS120254

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 450
Message 4 of 10

It's best to double up backups just in case.

If you have a Google account all your Contacts and Calenders etc will be backed up and if you have Google drive intalled you can backup photos and sound files to it.

https://www.recovery-android.com/backup-android-files-to-google-drive.html

Settings/Accounts/Google and see what sync options you have.Un-tick and re-tick them for a fresh backup.This is best done on WiFi if possible as it may use a lot of Data.

There are backup and restore apps as well like,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts

Once backed up to the SD card I also copy the SDcard to my Laptop just in case so in effect a,"Triple" backup/redundancy.

HTH Smiley Happy

esjayy
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 5 of 10

Hi guys, I'm sorry itsi taken me so long to get back to this. Right after I got your answers, our computer crashed. Between taking time yo get anoyhan one and then Life getting in the way, I'm just now vegetti back to this.

Thank you for your answers. 

In checking the Google account, I seem to be connected to the Cloud. But it creeps me out to think of relying on that to back everything up, especially since I'm not absolutely sure everything is on the Cloud. I'd like to back it all up in my computer as well. But out computer is not online. We live in the boonies and our only online connection is through our smartphone. It would seem that all instructions

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 226
Message 6 of 10

Make sure you have a USB to Micro USB data cable and install these Windows USB drivers,

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

When detected pull down the Notification bar and choose this option,

ii0cGRyMoto G3 USB screenshot

Then copy and paste across whatever you like Smiley Happy

esjayy
Punch Card
Views: 223
Message 7 of 10

Well this squirrely phone was jumping all over the place and sent the message out before I was done. I was saying that our computer is not on the Internet. Is there a way to transfer the vital info to the computer manually? It's Windows 10. I regularly transfer files like photos, but how do I transfer settings, calendar, emails, and so on? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 221
Message 8 of 10

Do you have a Google account?

Highlighted
esjayy
Punch Card
Views: 206
Message 9 of 10

Thank you. I have done a lot of transferring photos to my computer via USB but in looking over what phone data is displayed on the computer screen, I can't find anything that looks like Contacts, Emails, etc. Are they in there somewhere that I'm not recognizing?

Sherry

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 202
Message 10 of 10

Emails are held on your Email server,not on the phone.You won't lose them if you did a Factory Reset.

Contacts are backed up automatically if you have a Google account and use Gmail and it's synced.To make sure the Google contacts are synced up-to-date go Settings>Accounts>Google and untick and re-tick all sync options you require and be connected via Phone data or WiFi.

However as a safely feature there's an,"Old School" way of making sure you never lose your Contacts list.

Open Contacts app>3 dots>Import/Export and choose to export to a .vcf file either on the SD card or the phone.This file will look like contacts.vcf or 000001.vcf.

This is a transportable file that can be imported into any Android Contacts app and can be copied wherever you like as a backup.

Tip:I send a copy of the .vcf file to  myself attached to an Email.That way I always have a copy I can download and use on any device anywhere in the World Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Authors