Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbsevern
Blue Screen Again
Views: 683
Message 1 of 4

MOTO E4 and Strava - dodgy GPS tracking

New owner of Moto E4.  Previously had Moto X which I had used for some time.  I use Strava for running a number of times a week, and never had any issues with it and the Moto X,  However, on the two times I have used it with the E4, the recording of the run has been incorrect, with wide errors in the GPS recorded.  It seems to work for a while, but does not seem as accurate as normal, and then seems to record very strange points later in the run.  Did a 10 K run on Sunday that was recorded as 5.8km.  I think this was because it kepting losing track and went into pause mode.

I have GPS enabled on high accuracy, and also have Battery Optimisation turned off for Strava.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 595
Message 2 of 4

Re: MOTO E4 and Strava - dodgy GPS tracking

@dbsevern wrote:

New owner of Moto E4.  Previously had Moto X which I had used for some time.  I use Strava for running a number of times a week, and never had any issues with it and the Moto X,  However, on the two times I have used it with the E4, the recording of the run has been incorrect, with wide errors in the GPS recorded.  It seems to work for a while, but does not seem as accurate as normal, and then seems to record very strange points later in the run.  Did a 10 K run on Sunday that was recorded as 5.8km.  I think this was because it kepting losing track and went into pause mode.

I have GPS enabled on high accuracy, and also have Battery Optimisation turned off for Strava.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

This is unusual, let me have one of our team take a look at this. Please update your profile with device IMEI. This will help us investigate further. 

Also, make sure the app is updated to the latest version available on the Play Store. You can also uninstall the app >> force reboot >> install the app and observe again. Let us know how it goes?

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

dbsevern
Blue Screen Again
Views: 585
Message 3 of 4

Hi Swaraj, I have updated my profile to include my phone details, and uninstalled and re-installed Strava.  I will do a short test at lunch time today, but probably won't know if there is any difference until I go for a run tomorrow night.  I have seen similar tracking errors in another app (Viewranger) but to a smaller degree, but then moving at a slower speed.  I therefore suspect it is a GPS issue rather than the apps themselves.

Derren

Highlighted
dbsevern
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22
Message 4 of 4

Swaraj,

Tried a few runs since uninstalling and reinstalling strava, and issue is still quite apparent.  Did my local regular parkrun and the run recorded was all over the field, so something is definitely off with the GPS/tracking on the phone.  I have installed GPS Status app, which refreshes the AGPS data, and the phone is able to get a GPS location, but tracking when using in running or walking apps goes wrong after a time.  I have set the battry optimisation off for these app, to make sure the phone was not turning off GPS to save battery.  Very frustrating as upgraded to this phone from Moto E which was great with Strava - seriously considering a new (non-Moto) phone as strava recording is important for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derren

Top Kudoed Authors