Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boz3
Punch Card
Views: 1,622
Message 1 of 16

Moto E4 & E Plus Android Security Update Continuation

Since the Moto E4 and E4 Plus phones are still being sold at their original full retail price on the Motorola website, how long will these two phones continue to receive Android Security Updates?

Please reply to let us know.  Thanks!

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-e-gen-4

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-e-plus-gen-4

Boz3
Punch Card
Views: 1,343
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moto E4 & E Plus Android Security Update Continuation

Can a Motorola/Lenovo representative please address this issue?

I'm happy to continue recommending this older, but still very good Moto E4/E4 Plus to others, but ONLY if I can be assured that Android security updates will continue.  Thanks!

Boz3
Punch Card
Views: 1,005
Message 3 of 16

Is this a really, really hard question?  Or what's the issue?

The Moto E4 and E4 Plus are still being actively sold by Lenovo/Motorola.

Why can't somebody answer what should be a fairly simple question about ongoing Android security support for a product still being sold by Lenovo/Motorola!?

Chris-Stuttgart
Paper Tape
Views: 987
Message 4 of 16

Hi, I have the same problem. For my Moto 4E Plus XT1771 no Android security updates are being published. Last security patch was 2018-08-05!!!! All patches after this date are missing! Other regional versions of Moto 4E Plus seem still to be supported. Where is the point? Did the support end in 2018, few month after I purchased the phone? Regards Chris
Lucek
Paper Tape
Views: 896
Message 5 of 16

Hey. I have the same problem. For me, the level of security is August 5, 2018. Motorola announced the update to the level January 2019, but this actalization did not reach my phone!
Boz3
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 6 of 16

Well, at least my security update is 2/1/19.  However, that's still behind!

I don't understand why Motorola/Lenovo reps are ignoring this question, which only makes customers or potential customers have bad feelings about Motorola/Lenovo!

PLEASE, Motorola/Lenovo reps, ANSWER!

Thank you.

Lucek
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 7 of 16

When did you get the updates until January 2, 2019?

Chris-Stuttgart
Paper Tape
Views: 852
Message 8 of 16

Hi everyone,

Few days ago I asked the Motorola-support:

"While the Moto E4 plus is still sold by Motorola (with an outdated Android version though) the support seems to have ceased.
For my Moto 4E Plus XT1771 no Android security updates are being published. Last security patch was 2018-08-05!!!! All patches after this date are missing! Other regional versions of Moto 4E Plus still seem to be supported. Did the support for my E4 plus end in 2018, few month after I purchased the phone?
How can I receive the recent Android security updates for my E4 plus?
Motorola Europe is no help and not responding."

Today I received a very polite answer

"... We would like to let you know that our old phones can no longer have a newer software because it may damage your phone in some ways ...".

Then I was referred to the international support page for E4 plus (ALL RETAIL VERSIONS!) telling:

"Security updates

This product will no longer receive security updates."

So I would recommend not to buy an obsolete "old phone" as Motorola likes to call the E4 plus.

By the way, Lenovo is a Chinese company just like Huawei, which can make it a subject to US-government sanctions pretty soon....

Chris-Stuttgart
Paper Tape
Views: 849
Message 9 of 16

Hi,

Motorola Europe telephone support confirmed today: no more security patches for Moto E4 plus after 2019-08-05. "USA may be different, there is no collaboration". On the US-support page E4 plus is listed as still eligable for security updates.

When I put one and one together it seems to me that Motorola is still selling obsolete phones in the USA with limited support that have been regarded as outdated in the rest of the world a year ago, instantly dropping support the moment the last phone was sold.

Not a recommendation as I see it.

Boz3
Punch Card
Views: 843
Message 10 of 16

@Lucek wrote:
When did you get the updates until January 2, 2019?

2/1/19 is February 1, 2019.  I received it on my Moto E4 XT1768 on 5/15/19.

I'm located in the US, and Motorola / Lenovo is still selling the Moto E4 and E4 Plus at the links I posted in the first post above.

But apparantly Motorola / Lenovo reps are afraid to answer my question.

So, based on the info in this thread, I guess US users should be thankful security updates didn't end in August, 2018, like reported above for European models.

Chris-Stuttgart, you posted a date of "2019-08-05" above.  Is that accurate, or did you mean 2018-08-05?

Top Kudoed Authors