Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 940
Message 1 of 11

Moto e4 plus - Wi-Fi turns on by itself

Hi. Moto e4 plus. I will receive a notification of available Wi-Fis. I go to settings & Wi-Fi is turned on.

I never turn the Wi-Fi on & the setting to "notify me when a Wi-Fi is available" is turned off.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 679
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto e4 plus - Wi-Fi turns on by itself

Hi jreederx,

Thank you for posting. Did you also set the "Keep WiFi on during sleep" to "never"? Try resetting your network settings, just go to Settings > Network & Internet > Tap the 2 vertical dots on the right top part of the screen > Network Settings Reset. Let me know if it persists. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 669
Message 3 of 11

Rich,

Thanks for the info. "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" was on 'never' so I reset network. Can we give it a day to see if it comes on?

Is it supposed to turn on by itself?

Thanks again. I will let you know.

Jeannie

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 658
Message 4 of 11

Rich,

WiFi still & now Bluetooth turns on by itself.

If it's supposed to be like that ok. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong.

Thanks

Jeannie

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 508
Message 5 of 11

Hi Jeannie,

How long it's turning on after using the phone and/or after rebooting the phone? Try observing this in safe mode. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 458
Message 6 of 11

Thanks Rich. Btw, it's early Saturday morning so I understand if I don't hear back from you until next week. This is no rush.

I noticed the wifi turning itself on a few wks ago. Sometimes a notification pops up saying new wifi available, sometimes it doesn't. I tried to keep track of what I was doing prior to it turning on (what apps I was using or was I on the internet, etc) & I couldn't find a pattern.

Safe mode- when I do as you say, hold power button then press again etc, the phone restarts with no reference to safe mode.

I updated my profile however it asks for a serial/IMEI. My phone has both so I entered the serial #. Please let me know if you need the other.

Motorola privacy is on so do what you need to do, look @ apps or whatever.

Thanks again.

Jeannie

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 274
Message 7 of 11

Hi jreederx,

Thanks for the reply and for updating your profile. If you encounter the same incident try following the same steps I provided. Here's the video I found you can follow on how to boot in safe mode. Here's the link (Pressing and holding the power off on the screen will also boot the phone in safe mode).

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 249
Message 8 of 11

Rich,

Thanks. I got it restarted in safe mode and will let you know.

Thanks again.

Jeannie

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 9 of 11

Rich,

Wi-Fi didn't turn on in safe mode. I went back to normal mode and the Wi-Fi turns on just about after every app is used. So unless you have any reasons why it's bad to keep the Wi-Fi on I'm not going to worry about it.

I did come across 2 other settings i turned off. I attached a screenshot of those settings. I am hoping turning them off might help. Please let me know if you think I should leave them on. 

Thanks

Jeannie

jreederx
Punch Card
Views: 163
Message 10 of 11

Rich,

FYI - WiFi turns on even when I have not used an app. It's annoying but like I said I'm willing to live with it as long as you don't see a problem with having the wifiW on all the time.

Thanks

Jeannie

Top Kudoed Authors