05-14-2019 05:16 AM - edited 05-14-2019 05:17 AM
Thank you for posting. Can you try if you can access the settings during safe mode? Safe Mode puts your phone in a diagnostic state (returned to default settings) so you can determine if a third-party app is causing the issue.
1. Press and hold the Power button until "Power off" appears then release.
2. Touch and hold Power off until the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt appears (approximately 1 second).
3. From the "Reboot to safe mode" prompt, tap OK to confirm. The process may take up to 30 seconds to complete. Upon reboot, "Safe mode" appears in the lower left of the screen.
4. With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality.
05-14-2019 08:39 AM
I see, then I would suggest doing an external reset for your phone.
To do an External Reset:
1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
2. Press and release the Volume Down button until the arrow reads "Recovery Mode".
3. Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
4. Wait until you see an image of an Android robot on his back.
5. While holding down the Power button, press and release the Volume Up button.
6. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.
7. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.
05-14-2019 09:14 AM
Great, how very convenient, just what I need to do. How come the ability to use settings died overnight when I was not using it? Has there been an upgrade?
05-16-2019 01:53 PM
We can't tell exactly the root cause, but it could be some sort of software or a hardware failure. Kindly try the suggested external reset if you can't get into the phone's settings. Let us know how it goes.
05-17-2019 03:43 AM
I am having the exact same problem, it happened after the last update on my wifes MotoE4 , but my older Motoe4 is fine after the update. We have all of the same apps
05-17-2019 10:45 AM
Thanks for sharing. We don't see any possible way to fix that. Though, glad it works back again. Let us know if you need further help.
Thanks for reporting on this thread. If you have exactly the same situation and you cannot get into the Settings, kindly try the external reset as suggested here.