Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 1st Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

28 Posts

01-16-2015

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

13 Signins

68 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 6

Moto E out of memory problems

2015-01-17, 7:09 AM

Well, I've installed a few apps on my brand new Moto E and have rapidly run out of space.  I have a 32GB SD card installed and have transferred all but one of the downloaded apps onto it. I'm using Android Assistant and it shows 216MB RAM and 216 ROM free but when I try to download another app (eg Swiftkey) I get an out of memory message even though the app takes up much less space than this.  I have about 8GB free on the SD card after transferring music, photos and apps onto it.

I've cleared out the caches using Android Assistant.

The error message I get when I try to dowload apps incldues a suggestion that I 'unpin' apps but I don't know what this mean. 'Unintstall', perhaps?

Any help with this would be much appreciated, it's very frustrating.  Thanks in advance.

Andrew

PS downloaded apps installed are as listed below. App manager is also showing assist, goodle play, google text-to-speech etc as downloaded even though they were preinstalled and can't be removed.

Accupdeo pro

Android Assistant

Audible

BBC News

Feedly

Pocket

Rain Alarm Pro

Twicca

Answer
Options

55 Posts

11-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

Re: Moto E out of memory problems

2015-01-17, 8:22 AM

Do you update Google apps on a regular basis?  Go to settings->apps->Downloaded page, tap the tree dots->sort by size. If its already sorted by size, see what's eating up internal storage. The DOWNLOADED page or tab in Apps shows the internal memory at the bottom. Are you running ART or Dalvik? If you don't see "developer options" at the bottom of Settings, you can ignore this. If you can, try sending a few screenshots of the  apps on DOWNLOADED  and  ON SD CARD settings->apps. 

Replies(5)
Options

55 Posts

11-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2015-01-17, 7:29 AM

You don't have to worry about RAM usage. Android is pretty efficient at managing RAM on its own. Can you take a screen shot from setttings->storage. 

Options

28 Posts

01-16-2015

13 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2015-01-17, 7:45 AM

Many thanks for replying so quickly!  Am attaching a screen shot showing internal memory, not sure whether I can attach two images so will attach the external memory screen shot to my next post.

Also I realise my list of installed apps was incomplete: should also include, Battery Percentage, Keep, Tasks,  Youview, and Pocketcasts, 

Andrew

Options

28 Posts

01-16-2015

13 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-01-17, 7:46 AM

Here are the SD card numbers although I don't suppose it's relevant.

Answer
Options

55 Posts

11-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-01-17, 8:22 AM

Do you update Google apps on a regular basis?  Go to settings->apps->Downloaded page, tap the tree dots->sort by size. If its already sorted by size, see what's eating up internal storage. The DOWNLOADED page or tab in Apps shows the internal memory at the bottom. Are you running ART or Dalvik? If you don't see "developer options" at the bottom of Settings, you can ignore this. If you can, try sending a few screenshots of the  apps on DOWNLOADED  and  ON SD CARD settings->apps. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

28 Posts

01-16-2015

13 Signins

68 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2015-01-17, 12:02 PM

Ah, discovered the problem! Pocketcast was storing all my downloaded podcasts - nearly a gigabytes worth - on the phone!  Duh - don't know why any podcast app wouldn't assume that the SD card made more sense if there's one present.  Anyway, sorted out now and I'm much less frustrated!  Thanks again for your help!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms