Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 4th Gen / MOTO E™ 4th Gen Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

09-19-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

188 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-19-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 188
  • Message 1 of 127

Frequent SIM card errors with replacement SIMs and devices on Moto E4

2017-09-19, 7:39 AM

Does anyone have any insight into known issues with the Moto E 4th gen regarding SIM cards which abruptly stop being read (ICCID shows a null in WhatsInSIM app). I've encountered repeat issues with replacement SIM cards and replacement devices. The SIM cards are usually detected in other phones. It almost seems like either a design flaw (maybe the placement of the battery near the SIM slot is leading to overheating directed towards the SIM?) or some kind of recent software bug, as the problem seems to be more frequent in the past few months than it was during launch. In many cases it seems to be initially triggered by entering a poor coverage area but is not restored afterwards.

Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-16-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-16-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 35
  • Message 2 of 127

moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-16, 5:45 AM

I have two moto e4 phones that are only a month or two old. They both just started having the same problem. We noticed the first lost ability for calls/SMS/data on the cell network yesterday, but WiFi works. I checked and it could not detect the sim, so I tried rebooting, removing and replacing the sim, and I even got a brand new sim from T-Mobile, but it still doesn't detect it. I also tried a factory reset, but still no luck. I took the sim card out and it it in a working phone, and that works.

The other e4 device we own started failing the same way today.

any ideas?

Reply
Options

2 Posts

09-10-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

26 Page Views

  • Posts: 2
  • Registered: ‎09-10-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 26
  • Message 3 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-17, 22:23 PM

It sounds like you have a serious issue there. T-Mobile is a GSM network. It it was me, I would be tempted to try out a sim of the alternate persuasion.

Reply
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

  • Posts: 5418
  • Registered: ‎07-12-2014
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 79600
  • Message 4 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-18, 16:05 PM

wrote:

I have two moto e4 phones that are only a month or two old. They both just started having the same problem. We noticed the first lost ability for calls/SMS/data on the cell network yesterday, but WiFi works. I checked and it could not detect the sim, so I tried rebooting, removing and replacing the sim, and I even got a brand new sim from T-Mobile, but it still doesn't detect it. I also tried a factory reset, but still no luck. I took the sim card out and it it in a working phone, and that works.

The other e4 device we own started failing the same way today.

any ideas?


Hi pwl,

 

If at all possible for you to do, have you tried using a different carrier SIM on your phone?

 

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-16-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-16-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 35
  • Message 5 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-18, 16:50 PM

Not from a different carrier, I only have one cell plan, and tmobile is advertised to work with these devices. But these sims were working just fine for over a month. They only recently stopped working at all.

Reply
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

  • Posts: 5418
  • Registered: ‎07-12-2014
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 79600
  • Message 6 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-19, 19:54 PM

wrote:

Not from a different carrier, I only have one cell plan, and tmobile is advertised to work with these devices. But these sims were working just fine for over a month. They only recently stopped working at all.


Understandable. When you did the reset, did you test the phone before installing or restoring any of your apps? How did you do the reset? Was it from the phone settings or by pressing the external (power and volume) buttons combination?

 

-JM

Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-16-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-16-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 35
  • Message 7 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-09-19, 20:43 PM

After doing the factory reset through the menus, I did not login or install any apps, but it still had no detection of the sim card. I also tried clearing cache/data from recovery, still no luck.

Reply
Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

  • Posts: 2438
  • Registered: ‎12-19-2016
  • Location: Philippines
  • Views: 37577
  • Message 8 of 127

Re: Frequent SIM card errors with replacement SIMs and devices on Moto E4

2017-09-19, 20:49 PM

wrote:

Does anyone have any insight into known issues with the Moto E 4th gen regarding SIM cards which abruptly stop being read (ICCID shows a null in WhatsInSIM app). I've encountered repeat issues with replacement SIM cards and replacement devices. The SIM cards are usually detected in other phones. It almost seems like either a design flaw (maybe the placement of the battery near the SIM slot is leading to overheating directed towards the SIM?) or some kind of recent software bug, as the problem seems to be more frequent in the past few months than it was during launch. In many cases it seems to be initially triggered by entering a poor coverage area but is not restored afterwards.


Hi blorenzo

 

How can you say that it is not being read? Have you encountered an error message? Just to verify, was it only with WhatsInSim app where you noticed it is not being read? Have you used different sim cards on your phone? What particular issues have you encountered with replacement sim cards? Are you not able to use it for phone calls or able to send text messages? 

 

Have you recently updated your phone? If this issue has started after an update, I suggest doing a clear cache partition

 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Reply
Options

14 Posts

10-02-2017

United States of America

26 Signins

268 Page Views

  • Posts: 14
  • Registered: ‎10-02-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 268
  • Message 9 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-10-02, 17:28 PM

My daughter's E4 just started doing this over the weekend.  The SIM card works fine in here old phone.  Has anyone ever gotten resolution on this?  It's only 2 months old, so still under warranty.

Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-16-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-16-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 35
  • Message 10 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-10-02, 17:56 PM

Yes! You'll want to call lenovo support. I recommend you back up anything you need from the phone via usb or wifi first. Once you get to level 3 support, they will probably want to have you try doing a factory reset, so you may even want to try that first, though if it's the same problem I had, it won't help. I had to fight with level 1 support to get them to understand that the sim card works fine in other phones, and that I've tried several known-good sim cards that work in other phones, and they don't work in this one. L1 kept wanting to tell me that it's a problem with the sim/carrier, but that was clearly not the case. Once I reached L3, I got someone who was really helpful. We went through a few last minute things like doing the factory reset and he agreed that both these devices were probably bad. I have received two replacement devices already, and they worked perfectly right out of the box. Let's hope they don't end up having the same problem eventually though...

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms