Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 4th Gen / MOTO E™ 4th Gen Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

10-13-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 11 of 127

Re: Frequent SIM card errors with replacement SIMs and devices on Moto E4

2017-10-13, 22:46 PM
Yeah, I've been dealing with the same thing. Mine is the phone - the sim card is absolutely fine and still works in other phones.
Options

10 Posts

10-13-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 12 of 127

Re: moto e4 no sim detected

2017-10-13, 22:48 PM
I'm just about to send my phone in for the second time for the same problem. Hopefully you have better luck than me!
Options

6 Posts

09-19-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

188 Page Views

• Views: 188
  • Message 13 of 127

2017-10-16, 18:13 PM
In this case, the cell signal bars at the top disappear entirely, unlike a normal SIM card error where you get the NO SIM icon (grey box with a slash through it).

If you look at the What'sInSIM app, which displays detailed info about your SIM card, the carrier provisioning information and ICCID are reported as null.

Once it starts, the issue persists with SIM cards from any carriers. Replacement SIM card will not resolve. The issue is not specific to any particular carrier.

Calls and texts are not possible in this state.

I happen to know this issue is the result of modem panic causing a kernel panic for this particular Motorola software ROM and needs to be resolved by a Motorola software update or else the problem will keep occurring eventually, even once replaced.
Options

10 Posts

10-13-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 14 of 127

2017-10-16, 18:16 PM

Is there any way to avoid the issue, such as rolling back to a previous software version or something? Maybe changing a setting in the developer tools? This has happened to me twice now...

Options

6 Posts

09-19-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 15 of 127

2017-10-16, 18:25 PM

Unsure as to what the specific trigger is, and I don't know if there's a software version you can go back to which would not have the issue.

As of right now the solution is to RMA via Motorola and hope your next one lasts until they push the update so it stops happening.

Granted this is not happening to all of the devices, and some seem to last several months before the problem starts up.

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 16 of 127

2017-10-18, 21:28 PM

Hi everyone, 

May I ask what is your Service provider? Can you also send us your sim info via PM.

Would you also update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled. 

Please check the link and update your profile here

- Ella

Options

2 Posts

10-20-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 17 of 127

2017-10-20, 11:03 AM

Having the same issues with my Moto E4 I bought at the end of September. I thought it was a problem with the mobile service, so I went out of my way to find another one to come to the very unfortunate conclusion that it was the phone all along. Imagine the disappointment.

So, the signal strength takes on a static 3/5 bars and keeps at that uncompromising state. I'm unable to make phone calls and texts; they just hang and fail eventually. Once I restart the phone, it's fully functional for between half an hour and an hour. I also notice that when I wake up the phone, sometimes the signal bar is just completely gone. It seems like, as the OP explained, when the phone goes idle enough times, it disconnects and fails to reestablish. In my case, it doesn't even reflect the disconnected state on the signal strength icon.

I've been dealing with this phone's issues since I got it and I've switched phone carriers dealing with customer support all throughout. I'm at my wits end. Any help or advice or fixes are very much appreciated. I've factory defaulted, I've cleared the device cache, I've changed carriers. Enough is enough.

Options

2 Posts

10-20-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 18 of 127

2017-10-20, 11:27 AM

Having the same issues with my Moto E4 I bought at the end of September. I thought it was a problem with the mobile service, so I went out of my way to find another one to come to the very unfortunate conclusion that it was the phone all along. Imagine the disappointment.

So, the signal strength takes on a static 3/5 bars and keeps at that uncompromising state. I'm unable to make phone calls and texts; they just hang and fail eventually. Once I restart the phone, it's fully functional for between half an hour and an hour. I also notice that when I wake up the phone, sometimes the signal bar is just completely gone. It seems like, as the OP explained, when the phone goes idle enough times, it disconnects and fails to reestablish. In my case, it doesn't even reflect the disconnected state on the signal strength icon.

I've been dealing with this phone's issues since I got it and I've switched phone carriers dealing with customer support all throughout. I'm at my wits end. Any help or advice or fixes are very much appreciated. I've factory defaulted, I've cleared the device cache, I've changed carriers. Enough is enough.

[sorry if double post; couldn't see if original posted]

Options

10 Posts

10-13-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

96 Page Views

• Message 19 of 127

2017-10-20, 13:45 PM

I'd get in contact with Motorola. Although it's annoying to have to keep sending the phone back, they have been very good about it.

Options

6 Posts

09-19-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

188 Page Views

• Message 20 of 127

2017-10-20, 18:22 PM

@So Noted

This is not the same issue as what I am reporting as far as I know.

This particular issue results in your cell signal bar icon permanently disappearing and results in permanent loss of cellular function. Your issue is a different issue and I recommend opening a new thread. If you have service on and off intermittently, it could be a number of problems including poor coverage.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms