Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMOTO E™ 4th Gen / MOTO E™ 4th Gen Plus
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-07-2018

Netherlands

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Moto e4(not plus) led notification

2018-06-07, 11:12 AM
Really? Please provide an option or setting to have to notification LED back. The Moto Display function is useless because it only tells me there's a message when I touch the phone. not having a properly working notification function is really stupid,
Options

1 Posts

06-21-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 12 of 19

2018-06-21, 22:11 PM

I really like this phone, but this LED problem is a huge deal breaker.

I do not like moto display at all. The other issue I have is no double tap to wake option.

These can both easily be fixed in an updateupdate. Which I don't understand why isn't happening when many people are voicing the same concerns .

Options

90 Posts

08-29-2017

United States of America

78 Signins

1083 Page Views

• Views: 1083
  • Message 13 of 19

2018-06-23, 0:57 AM

Better this than nothing. It's actually quite clever. But a flashing LED would better get the user's attention, without picking up the phone to do so.  Is it impossible?  Let us know.

Options

1 Posts

07-15-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 14 of 19

2018-07-15, 23:33 PM

I loved my original Moto-e, but when Lenovo took over Moto I was hesitant to buy a new Moto-e4 (non-plus).

This is not a solution to the notification problem, it's crap.  They destroyed a useful feature.  

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 15 of 19

2018-08-29, 20:29 PM

Unlike the Moto E4 Plus, which has that red/green LED indicator in the upper-right corner that could potentially be used for notifications, but isn't by the default software, it appears that the plain E4, at least in its XT1768 variant, does not have any such LED physically present.  The hardware simply doesn't exist, as far as I can tell.

After rooting mine (for other reasons), I checked /sys/class/leds/ for a suitable control file (the G5 Plus XT1687 has "charging" here for its dim LED within the earpiece, and an E4 Plus has "red" and "green") that could be controlled by notification events via Tasker, as I do on my G5 Plus, but all that's there are the standard Qualcomm SoC LED bindings (led:switch, lcd-backlight, wled, etc.) which seem not to map to any real hardware.  echo'ing 1 or 0 to each of these has no visible effect.

Also, unlike on the G5 Plus, no LED comes on when starting up, or first attaching a power source to a phone that's switched off.

The front-camera flash LED can be used for notifications, though, and this doesn't even require root.

Just go to the Play store and install a free app called "FrontFlash Notification" (by 3ndy.com).  Here's a direct URL, if the board will allow it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trendy.frontflashnotification&hl=en_US

The only real drawback is that this flash LED, as you'd expect from its intended purpose is VERY bright, likely enough to wake someone if the phone's left on a night-table in a dark bedroom, and there seems to be no way to dial down its intensity.  The app does allow setting hours of the day where it won't activate, though, as well as controlling how frequently it strobes (default once per 5 seconds, which I increased to 15sec), and gives various options for using the rear flash when the phone is face-down, canceling the strobe upon either unlocking, or merely waking the display (for which Moto Display automatic wakeups don't count), or even shaking the phone to cancel; I was surprised that the last option works on an E4, since it lacks a gyroscope (hence no chop-for-flashlight or twist-for-camera on this model).

Also, you can choose exactly which alerts trigger the flash strobing.  I went into Excluded Applications, hit the toggle up top to exclude all, then scrolled down to Phone and turned that on, for missed-call notifications.  Messaging doesn't appear in the list, but there's a separate option on the main FrontFlash menu to trigger it on received texts.  If you want to only be alerted for these two things, it's probably best to turn off "Exclude consecutive notifications", which is on by default.  Otherwise, if you get a missed call or text, and wake the phone to stop it flashing but don't immediately dismiss the notification, any subsequent call or text won't make it start flashing again until you clear the first one (this option makes it ignore any notification of the same type as one already on your drop-down list).

Another app that may be helpful for some people, which I've been using for years is "Relay.ME", which is now completely free and open-source.  It sends you an email each time you receive a text or miss a call - quite handy when working at a computer where email is always open, but the phone might sometimes be silenced and out of your direct view:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinywebgears.relayme&hl=en

Options

17 Posts

06-03-2018

India

59 Signins

632 Page Views

• Views: 632
  • Message 16 of 19

2018-08-30, 16:48 PM

When plain moto e4 mobile drains upto zero percent battery and get switched off and we plug it in for charging, it shows red led notification light in front top right corner brightly. So it has led notification light in hardware but not in software.

Options

41 Posts

06-23-2017

United States of America

47 Signins

415 Page Views

• Views: 415
  • Message 17 of 19

2018-08-30, 21:06 PM

Rounakole, is your E4 an XT1768, or one of the other variants? e.g. XT1767 for Verizon, or the Sprint/Boost one without a fingerprint reader?  Or maybe the Mediatek-based one (non-Qualcomm) sold outside the US?  Edit: oh, I missed that you were in India - guessing based on this that yours probably has a Mediatek CPU?  I think these are significantly different from the US Qualcomm models, so yours could easily have an LED that doesn't exist on ours. CPU-Z app (or similar) should help identify the model.

If all models have the red LED, it might be connected to the E4's power-management chip (PMIC) that controls charging and power-save modes, rather than to main CPU/SoC, hence difficult or impossible to directly control from Android.  There's usually an i2c bus link between the SoC and PMIC, though, but we'd need to find exactly which chip is used to have any hope of manipulating it.  This would definitely require root, and any mistakes made in direct register writes could have unpleasant side-effects.

My XT1768 has three i2c bues, populated as follows - the 'UU' means the device at that address has a driver bound to it:

[code]

perry_f:/data # ls /dev/i2c-*
/dev/i2c-2 /dev/i2c-3 /dev/i2c-4

1|perry_f:/data # i2cdetect -r -y 2
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- 04 05 06 07 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
perry_f:/data # i2cdetect -r -y 3
00: -- 04 05 06 07 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
perry_f:/data # i2cdetect -r -y 4
00: -- 04 05 06 07 -- -- -- -- UU -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- --

[/code]

Options

3 Posts

03-10-2018

Australia

2 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 18 of 19

2019-02-28, 4:44 AM
Has any progress been made on this? I will never, ever get another Moto phone until this issue is fix. A phone that does not notify the owner about messages or missed called in only half a phone.
Options

2 Posts

09-04-2018

India

3 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 19 of 19

2019-03-02, 21:53 PM

Sorry

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms