Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G 2nd Gen / Moto G 4G LTE 2nd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-20-2016

United States

2 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 1 of 7

GOOGLE MAPS NOT ACCURATE SINCE MARSHMALLOW UPGRADE

2016-04-24, 8:38 AM

Prior to the latest version upgrade to 6 - Google Maps were accurate withini a metre or 2 - Now since the upgrade the maps are in excess of 200 metres inacurate and the location marker/indicator will not settle - Keeps Jumping around and impossible to rely on for any accuracy - I have unistalled Google Maps 3 times and reinstaled but the problem still persists - Anyone got any other suggestions with this issue

Options

199 Posts

01-30-2015

Germany

103 Signins

1129 Page Views

• Views: 1129
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: GOOGLE MAPS NOT ACCURATE SINCE MARSHMALLOW UPGRADE

2016-04-24, 11:59 AM

Try GPS test from the playstore to check gps status (clear reset agps).
You could also try clearing the system cache and checking again.

Options

15 Posts

03-27-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 3 of 7

2016-07-04, 1:39 AM

Same here. Most Android users whose devices work assume that this problem must be that Settings>Location is not properly configured, but mine was set to high accuracy but Google Maps refused to use GPS data.

If I drove down a local road that has a lot of stores and offices, it showed my location as jumping from one building to another, as if it would only use wi-fi data and not GPS. Driving down a rural highway, it jumped (mostly) from cell tower to cell tower, and occasionally to what must have been a residential wi-fi signal it picked up. I had installed the GPS Status app previously, which showed that there was no problem with the GPS hardware or function itself in the phone, as it would report location and speed exactly as shown on a Garmin GPS in the car.

Today I finally found a post on a general Android forum that suggested that when MotoG's updated from KitKat to Lollipop that something in Settings was possibly amiss--that the APN type "agps" must be present for Google Maps to access GPS data. It seemed logical that I should see if something like that also affected phones that updated from Lollipop to Marshmallow, so I tapped through... 

Settings>Wireless & Networks>More>Cellular Networks>Access Point Names>internet; when I tapped on internet, that brought up an "Edit access point" menu. I scrolled down to APN type, which read as follows (no spaces, only commas between the values):

default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

to which I added ",agps" so it reads:

default,mms,fota,hipri,supl,agps

And now Google Maps and navigation are back to working properly as they had in the past when I bought the phone with Lollipop.

FYI, my carrier is Cricket, so I don't know if this is something that only works on Cricket and/or AT&T or if that's how all providers would configure the APN types.

Options

1056 Posts

04-18-2015

India

588 Signins

7296 Page Views

• Views: 7296
  • Message 4 of 7

2016-07-07, 14:44 PM
Update Google Maps. It will solve issues.
Hoshang
Options

15 Posts

03-27-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

339 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2016-07-07, 15:34 PM

Simply updating Google Maps to the latest version did nothing to solve my problem.

Options

1056 Posts

04-18-2015

India

588 Signins

7296 Page Views

• Views: 7296
  • Message 6 of 7

2016-07-07, 17:11 PM
Try factory reset. As GPS issue is with Google Maps only. Otherwise all GPS based apps work fine.
Hoshang
Options

15 Posts

03-27-2016

United States of America

26 Signins

339 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2016-07-07, 17:40 PM

Nope. I had some other issues with the phone and a factory reset didn't solve the Google Maps issue. Neither the previous version of Google Maps nor the most recent update would work properly after the factory reset.

Manually appending ",agps" to the APN types immediately allowed the previous version of Google Maps to work properly after the factory reset, and the new version has continued to work after Maps updated.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms