Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dciccale
Paper Tape
Views: 7,399
Message 1 of 28

Access/Backup previously formatted SD card as internal storage in Android

Hi, I formatted my SanDisk 16gb card as Internal Storage for my Android Marshmallow 6.0 Moto G 2nd Gen XT1068 device. So far so good, the problem is that my phone was failing really bad yesterday not sure why, it won't move files from internal to the sd card so it was running out of space and the whole system started failing. I was not able to backup my SD card neither, because my developer options were blocked so no USB debugging available., I tried everything I found online, from stoping removing cache from Media internal app and some others, etc, and nothing worked.

So I decided to restore my phone to stock. I did this and now it works fine, however it does not recognize my SD card (because it was formatted as internal storage with the "previous" device) so now I have a 16gb SD Card (4GB occupied) inaccessible to make a backup.

Is there a way to gain access to this SD card so I can move out all the files I've in there so I can format it again as internal storage?

Any information missing please ask,

Thanks in advance,

Denis.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,368
Message 2 of 28

Re: Access/Backup previously formatted SD card as internal storage in Android

@dciccale wrote:

Hi, I formatted my SanDisk 16gb card as Internal Storage for my Android Marshmallow 6.0 Moto G 2nd Gen XT1068 device. So far so good, the problem is that my phone was failing really bad yesterday not sure why, it won't move files from internal to the sd card so it was running out of space and the whole system started failing. I was not able to backup my SD card neither, because my developer options were blocked so no USB debugging available., I tried everything I found online, from stoping removing cache from Media internal app and some others, etc, and nothing worked.

So I decided to restore my phone to stock. I did this and now it works fine, however it does not recognize my SD card (because it was formatted as internal storage with the "previous" device) so now I have a 16gb SD Card (4GB occupied) inaccessible to make a backup.

Is there a way to gain access to this SD card so I can move out all the files I've in there so I can format it again as internal storage?

Any information missing please ask,

Thanks in advance,

Denis.

There is no way. When you reset your phone, you erased the encryption key that was used to decrypt the SD card. The data is encrypted and you "threw away the key" - sorry for the bad news. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 7,256
Message 3 of 28

Hi, I have a similar problem in that I formatted my SD card as internal storage on my Moto G3 and it worked fine for a few months. I have some apps on there and a load of photo's. All of a sudden the SD card is not recognised anymore so I can't access any of the data on it. The first time this happened I just turned the phone off and back on again and it was ok. However the next time it happened this didn't work so I tried plugging the phone into my laptop to retrieve the data but as the phone is not recognising the SD card anymore it says there is no data. My situation is different in that the SD card is still in the phone as I don't want to take it out and potentially corrupt it. Is there any way I can get the phone to recognise the SD card again ? or is there any way I can get the data / photo's off the card ??

Thanks in advance

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,253
Message 4 of 28

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

Hi, I have a similar problem in that I formatted my SD card as internal storage on my Moto G3 and it worked fine for a few months. I have some apps on there and a load of photo's. All of a sudden the SD card is not recognised anymore so I can't access any of the data on it. The first time this happened I just turned the phone off and back on again and it was ok. However the next time it happened this didn't work so I tried plugging the phone into my laptop to retrieve the data but as the phone is not recognising the SD card anymore it says there is no data. My situation is different in that the SD card is still in the phone as I don't want to take it out and potentially corrupt it. Is there any way I can get the phone to recognise the SD card again ? or is there any way I can get the data / photo's off the card ??

Thanks in advance

If you remove the card while it is unmounted, you can't corrupt it. 

If the phone can't read the card, I don't know of anything you can do to retrieve data. One other user reported he was able to clone his card to a new card and put that new card in the phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
dciccale
Paper Tape
Views: 7,244
Message 5 of 28

This is exactly the issue I had. I finally had to erase everything to use the SD card again. Basically all my vacations pictures. I'm so pissed. I was not able even to recover them from Google Photos, since there I saw only black images like if they were synced but won't allow me to see them.
ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 7,234
Message 6 of 28

@AlphaDog wrote:

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

Thanks in advance

If you remove the card while it is unmounted, you can't corrupt it. 

If the phone can't read the card, I don't know of anything you can do to retrieve data. One other user reported he was able to clone his card to a new card and put that new card in the phone. 

Thank you for your reply, at least I now know I can take the card out without corrupting it. I would like to keep it just in case a solution is found to retrieve the data. I can't use the camera at the moment as it thinks there is nowhere to save the photo to so If I put a new card in and format it to transfer data from the phone to other devices i.e. not as internal memory this time would I be able to take it out and put the problematic card back in ? I ask this just in case a solution is found and I can retrieve the data - I know I'm clutching at straws here but I will endeavour to try an retrieve the data from the existing card.

Do you know who the other user is that said they were able to clone the card to a new card ? I might see if he / she can help.

Many thanks for your help

ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 7,232
Message 7 of 28

@dciccale wrote:
This is exactly the issue I had. I finally had to erase everything to use the SD card again. Basically all my vacations pictures. I'm so pissed. I was not able even to recover them from Google Photos, since there I saw only black images like if they were synced but won't allow me to see them.

I feel your pain as I hadn't backed up everything onto my laptop since the end of September. I went to google photo's expecting to at least salvage my photo's but nothing, absolutely no photo's at all. Worst of all I had taken a load of photo's for work the day before this happened and I've lost them all which has caused me a lot of problems............

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,231
Message 8 of 28

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

Thank you for your reply, at least I now know I can take the card out without corrupting it. I would like to keep it just in case a solution is found to retrieve the data. I can't use the camera at the moment as it thinks there is nowhere to save the photo to so If I put a new card in and format it to transfer data from the phone to other devices i.e. not as internal memory this time would I be able to take it out and put the problematic card back in ? I ask this just in case a solution is found and I can retrieve the data - I know I'm clutching at straws here but I will endeavour to try an retrieve the data from the existing card.

First and foremost do NOT "Forget this card" in the SD card storage screen. Doing so will erase the key used to decrypt the card. If you have to Reset the phone, the key will also be erased. 

Yes, you can insert another card and use it as storage for images from phone. 

ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 7,229
Message 9 of 28

@AlphaDog wrote:

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

First and foremost do NOT "Forget this card" in the SD card storage screen. Doing so will erase the key used to decrypt the card. If you have to Reset the phone, the key will also be erased. 

Thanks I haven't 'forgotten' the card and will make sure I don't.

Is it normal that photo's that were saved to the phone are no longer visible either ? As the phone is not recognising the card now I expected that I wouldn't be able to see anything saved to the card but thought I would see everything saved to the phone i.e. photo's taken but not yet saved to appropriate folder on the card and all whatsapp photo's as these are now all blurred when you view them in the whatsapp chats.

Also do you know who the member was that was able to clone the card to a new card ? I might see if they can tell me how they did it.

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,227
Message 10 of 28

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

@ChrisO2016 wrote:

Thanks I haven't 'forgotten' the card and will make sure I don't.

Is it normal that photo's that were saved to the phone are no longer visible either ? As the phone is not recognising the card now I expected that I wouldn't be able to see anything saved to the card but thought I would see everything saved to the phone i.e. photo's taken but not yet saved to appropriate folder on the card and all whatsapp photo's as these are now all blurred when you view them in the whatsapp chats.

Also do you know who the member was that was able to clone the card to a new card ? I might see if they can tell me how they did it.

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions

The adopted card became the internal storage for the phone...  likely you picked the migrate option when installing the adopted card and this migrated all phones on internal flash to the internal-adopted SD card. All photos going forward would be on the internal/adopted SD Card. 

I don't remember where the thread is about the cloned card, but it was in the last month. If I find it, i will post a link. Try the search box to - you may find it before me.