Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,863
Message 11 of 28

Re: Access/Backup previously formatted SD card as internal storage in Android

I had the thread about copying the card in my email.....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-2nd-Gen-Moto-G-4G-LTE-2nd/SD-card-adopted-as-internal-storage-su...

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 1,859
Message 12 of 28

@AlphaDog wrote:

I had the thread about copying the card in my email.....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-2nd-Gen-Moto-G-4G-LTE-2nd/SD-card-adopted-as-internal-storage-su...

Thanks for the explanation and the link, your help is much appreciated. Fingers crossed I can clone the card........

dciccale
Paper Tape
Views: 1,845
Message 13 of 28

Good luck and share your results!
ChrisO2016
Paper Tape
Views: 1,838
Message 14 of 28

@dciccale wrote:
Good luck and share your results!

I am not sure I completely understand how they copied /cloned the card so will have to see if one of my more technical friends can lend a hand. I might have to wait a bit until someone is free due to xmas etc but will post how I get on.

werogreg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 15 of 28

Hi! 

I have a simple question - I've searched and found plenty of questions and response regarding what to do when you are in this situation, but none about what to do to AVOID this situation. I have a Motorola G with Android v 7.0. I have an SD Card configured as internal storage. I need to reset the phone to try and resolve some performance problems. I want to avoid losing access to my SD Card after the reset. 

If I simply leave the SD Card in place and DO NOT CHECK "Erase SD Card" when I go to do the factory data reset, can I expect everything to go smoothly?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,153
Message 16 of 28

@werogregwrote:

Hi! 

I have a simple question - I've searched and found plenty of questions and response regarding what to do when you are in this situation, but none about what to do to AVOID this situation. I have a Motorola G with Android v 7.0. I have an SD Card configured as internal storage. I need to reset the phone to try and resolve some performance problems. I want to avoid losing access to my SD Card after the reset. 

If I simply leave the SD Card in place and DO NOT CHECK "Erase SD Card" when I go to do the factory data reset, can I expect everything to go smoothly?

No. If you reset the phone, you will lose access to the card. The encryption key for the card is on the phone. The key is not user accessible and can't be backed up. 

If you are resetting the phone, you must move all data off the card, back it up, then move it back after a reset. Adopted storage is made to extend a phone for app installs, so resets are designed to erase the card. 

If you want an SD card the survives phone resets, format as external. I regularly advise users not to use internal/adopted storage for SD cards. It is not worth the risk. But regardless of how you format your SD card, always have a backup of your data somewhere else. SD cards fail often, phones get lost, stolen or damaged. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
werogreg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,150
Message 17 of 28

Awesome. thanks for the reply. Previously I connected the phone to my computer to try and back up the data from the SD Card, but the computer doesn't "see" anything on the phone. Is there a way to backup the SD card via the phone or do I have to remove it and connect it to a backup device separately?
werogreg
Paper Tape
Views: 1,147
Message 18 of 28

Apologies, no need to respond - I was able to figure this out.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,147
Message 19 of 28

@werogregwrote:
Awesome. thanks for the reply. Previously I connected the phone to my computer to try and back up the data from the SD Card, but the computer doesn't "see" anything on the phone. Is there a way to backup the SD card via the phone or do I have to remove it and connect it to a backup device separately?

The only access to the SD card is via the phone. when connected to USB, in order to browse the phone via computer file manager, you must pull down the notification bar on the phone, tap "USB charging notification" and switch from charge to file transfer. 

You could also use google drive or dropbox on the phone to move data using a file manager on the phone. 

Screenshot_20170926-145823.png

jdsm
Paper Tape
Views: 117
Message 20 of 28

i have the same issue
can i reuse my memory card by any means?
i don't need the data on the SD card.
can i format or wipe it?