Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
areslagae
Paper Tape
Views: 3,177
Message 1 of 7

Battery suddenly and instantly drops to 0%

Hi,

The battery of my Moto G 2nd gen suddenly drops from a relatively high percentage (sometimes around 50) to 0% and the phone shuts down. I am having this on a dauily basis, not sporadically, and this is not due to a specific application consuming too much power. 

I have attached a screenshot.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is it a hardware or software issue? Will a factory reset help? Do I need to replace the battery?

Many thanks in advance,

Ares

Screenshot_20170622-200253.png

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,169
Message 2 of 7

Re: Battery suddenly and instantly drops to 0%

@areslagae wrote:

Hi,

The battery of my Moto G 2nd gen suddenly drops from a relatively high percentage (sometimes around 50) to 0% and the phone shuts down.

I have attached a screenshot.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is it a hardware or software issue? Will a factory reset help? Do I need to replace the battery?

Many thanks in advance,

Ares

Screenshot_20170622-200253.png

My first guess would be the battery is due for a replacement as the G2 is 3 generations old. How long have you had the phone? Do you charge it every day from mostly empty?

You can certainly try a reset without any apps installed, or safe mode. You can also try calibrating the battery by (with phone on) hold power button for about 15 seconds until phone reboots, then charge to 100%. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
areslagae
Paper Tape
Views: 3,159
Message 3 of 7

The phone is 2,5 years old, charged daily. Typically from almost empty, empty or even powered off.

I do not understand the graph however. Does the phone shut down while the battery still has 50% due to some software bug? Or is the battery charge symply not correctly reported?
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,157
Message 4 of 7

@areslagae wrote:
The phone is 2,5 years old, charged daily. Typically from almost empty, empty or even powered off.

I do not understand the graph however. Does the phone shut down while the battery still has 50% due to some software bug? Or is the battery charge symply not correctly reported?

Or the 3rd option - the battery itself is behaving exactly as the graph describes - not uncommon for batteries to act this way at the end of their life. 

No way to know for sure until you try some of the tests mentioned above. They may or may not help sort this out. If you do everything, and a reset without restoring any apps, doesn't fix it, then likely it is the battery. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
areslagae
Paper Tape
Views: 3,102
Message 5 of 7

Will replace the battery and report back ...

areslagae
Paper Tape
Views: 3,069
Message 6 of 7

Replaced battery with "factory original" and issue seems to be mostly solved.

Battery life has significantly improved (but still not as when new, probably the "factory original" is not ;-)

But I am not observing the sudden drops and extremely short battery life anymore. I guess battery was end of life.

Should bridge the time until the Moto G 6 I hope.
Akhilrk
What's DOS?
Views: 504
Message 7 of 7

I am facing Two issues with my Moto G4 Play sudden drop in battery level and less hour of backup (3 hour active - 7 hour idle)
i tried new battery but it wont work. so i just do a hard reset and now i am able to play game at 13% also my backup increases to 1 day 13 Hours in case of idle. may be there is a software issue. Hope i help few of you.