Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam87
What's DOS?
Views: 3,559
Message 1 of 23

Delayed or not receiving Notifications?

I have had the Moto G 2nd Gen for about 10 days now and I have noticed that notifications from several apps (Exchange email, Gmail, Whatspp, Facebook...) are either delayed by a few hours or don't come at all. This happens on both Wifi or my 3G network. 

In some cases the notifications would arrive once the phone is awakened by pressing the power button.

It was also noticed over at XDA forums that  any notification (such as email or message) received within 10 minutes or less after the phone goes to sleep (pressing the power button ) would show up instantly. However any notification after 10 minutes would either not arrive or show up after several minutes or hours in my case. 

A similar behaviour was noticed when playing music on Google Play. A track would still continue playing as expected once the phone goes to sleep (pressing the power button). You would expect the next track will play automatically but that doesn't happen. In some cases the next track will play once you awaken the phone. 

This issue seems to be occuring on the build 21.11.14.titan_retgb.retbgall.en.GB.

I have tried the following with no success:

1- disable Wifi optimization

2- factory reset phone

3- Installed PNF No-Root and set hearbeat to 5min

4- Cleared data & cache of apps

The XDA thread can be found here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g-2014/help/delayed-receiving-notifications-t2886343

Thanks 

Anshumand
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 23

Re: Delayed or not receiving Notifications?

I too have the same problem of delayed notification with the same build. I also tested the 10 minutes issue and it seems to exist. When I sent test whatsapp message from my other number, within the first 10 mins of sleep they were delivered immediately. After 10 mins they showed as not delivered until next 30 mins. And the delivery report synchronized with the beep on my Motot G 2nd gen. If I wake the phone in between, notifications arrive within 10 secs of waking the phone. 

Jay555
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 23

I three am having the same problem with delayed notifications or receiving all the notifications as soon as the device is woken, I am running the same Software Version: 21.11.14.titan_retgb.retbgall.en.GB retgb

On 3G I am having the same 10 minute problem, within 10 minuets of the phone being slept all notification come through immediately, however after the 10 minutes all notification are delayed until 30 minutes after the phone was slept.

On WiFi however notifications can be delayed at any time even straight after the phone has been slept, usually the delay time is 1-2 minutes but can be several minuets longer than that, or then can be immediate.

This is affecting all notifications I receive, Gmail, Hangouts, WhatsApp and Telegram, I first 'confirmed' the problem while using the Android Device Manager when playing locating the phone (located it aOK) I then sent the command to make it 'ring' however the phone never rang even after some time, I picked up the phone and tapped the power button to wake it and at only that point the phone started ringing.  I have since been using Telegram to send myself messages to test different solutions, I was previously using Gmail to test and having the same problems but Telegram is quicker to send messages.

I have noticed that if the device is playing music (I'm using Play Music app with music stored on the SD card) even when the device is sleeping notifications work flawlessly 100% of the time, even after an hour or more of not being woken up while using WiFi.

(I am also having the same problem when playing music while the device is sleeping occasionally one song ends and you expect the next song to start but it never does, you hit the power button to wake the device and the next song then starts as normal)

A good way to 'test/replicate' the problem is to use WhatsApp or Telegram to send messages to the device, the delays when it is sleeping are very apparent compared to when the device is awake or when the device is sleeping and playing music.

I have tried the same 'fixes' as Sam87, sadly none have worked, PNF No Root seemed to help notifications while using 3G but did nothing while using WiFi which I use the majority of the time.

Jay555
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 23

Further to my previous post I have since noticed that when the device is sleeping whilst charging notifications also work perfectly (this is while using WiFi), in the same way that it does if the device is playing music on battery.

So specifically this issue seems to only exist when the device is sleeping while not doing anything else while on battery.

Hope this helps

JonS1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 23

I have a problem with Chromecast stopping when phone sleeps, and after reading this I tried it whilst charging. Problem solved. Sounds like WiFi isn't behaving in sleep when on battery power. I can always charge when using Chromecast, but this isn't a solution for the notifications.
wallman
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 23

I have a problem with notifications from the stock clock timer when display is off. I set a 15 minute countdown but didn't get any sound. After unlocking the device the countdown has long expired and was counting negative time.

And Chromecast is also stopping after every song... sad

I suspect that it is caused by the exzessive app killing https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6168839e0e

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 7 of 23

We're investigating this. Can you please do the following

• Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap 7-10 times to start Developer Mode

• Go back to Settings and look for Developer Options. and enable USB Debugging.

• Select option for Power menu bug reports

1. When notifications stop press power button down and then select Bug Report and then select Report.

2. When capture is complete there will be a 4 parallel line icon in notifications bar and phone will vibrate to conclude capture.

3. Accept Privacy Screen

4. Then Select Email account you use on forums to send email to us.

5. Send email with subject "Moto G 2nd Gen Muted Notifications" to Supportforums@motorola.com with attached logs. 

6. If you prefer you can upload the file to Google Drive and Then share the file with supportforums@Motorola.com. Ensure that you add a message to the File share screen that indicates your Forum Display Name and also contains "Moto G 2nd Gen Muted Notifications.

7. We don't recommend you upload the file to the forum but you can indicate your bug report specific file on the forum after it has been emailed to us. (example bugreport-2014-10-01-12-42-24.txt)

Do's and Don'ts

Do:

1. Do send us your bug report if you are encountering this issue and you're a member of the forum. If you send a bug report but you're just a lurker, we won't look at the bug reports.

2. Do Subscribe to this thread if you've sent us an email with a bug report incase we need to reply to you.

3. Do put the appropriate subject line "Moto G 2nd Gen Muted Notifications". This helps us route your bug reports to our engineers sooner than later.

4. Reference your Display Name in your email and this thread https://forums.motorola.com/posts/dbb4806484 if you have it handy.

5. Take a bug report right after it happens and indicate the time so we can quickly look through the report for relevant data. Some of the files are huge.

Don't: 

1. Submit a bug report for another issue from another thread. If we need logs then we'll ask for them in the respective thread.

2. If we have enough bug reports to evaluate and have stopped requesting them. Don't send more. 

3. Follow the steps above.

4. Don't send emails asking for a status update. We'll post in this thread if we have any news or any additional questions to ask.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
wallman
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 23

I just noticed that the Hangouts background service has crashed at least 20 hours ago and wasn't automatically restarted. After manually opening the Hangouts app i received a message that was sent 20 hours before.

fatfatfatman
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 23

Have done the system upgrade yesterday to the 21.11.23.GB retgb version and tested for the notification problem few times yesterday as well as today. Results are mixed or even worse than before the updated,ie. viber and wechat are also having the same problem. First 15 mins into the sleep mode gives you 2-3 mins delay. Any thing longer than that one might not get the notification at all. Very depreesing. Will try few more times today to confirm. Any comment Mark?

Sam87
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 23

I got the OTA update yesterday and I'm still experiencing the same issues. This has become really frustrating. I will send some bug reports