cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petarp
What's DOS?
Views: 313
Message 1 of 7

Does 3G work on Euro T-mobile on global MOTO G?

Amazon sells a global unlocked 8GB 2nd gen MOTO G, and the description says "Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when roaming outside the US. Only supports 2G coverage on T-Mobile" - does it mean 3G wouldn't work on T-Mobile USA, or it wouldn't work on any (European) T-mobile network? Thank you.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-2nd-generation-Unlocked/dp/B00MWI4HW0/

BrandonGiesel
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 7

Re: Does 3G work on Euro T-mobile on global MOTO G?

The key thing to look for is what bands the Moto G (2014) Global GSM that you are looking at purchasing supports.

I'm unable to tell which bands the Moto G (2014) model that you are looking for supports. I can say that atleast with last year's Moto G for example with Verizon the Moto G could only be activated as a Prepaid device, so I would consider calling T-Mobile support to confirm before you buy unless you are planning to do prepaid. I have two T-Mobile links that should help out, but won't speak for your service compatibility question you got. The first link is a link to some information talking about T-Mobile's cellular bands in which it uses to provide you cellular service.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6991

The other link is the APN settings that you'll need to input into the device to route your internet and mms messages through the best and fastest route.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2090

I know that isn't exactly what you are looking for. Hopefully it helps some. I'm gonna do some more research and report back soon.

petarp
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your help- it seems that the Amazon website refers to the US T-mobile network (I would be using mine in Europe). I found this link and I think that I need the international version, and that it should (fingers crossedSmiley Happy work on T-mobile in Europe.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2013/338376-differnces-between-gobal-us-versions.html

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it in a couple of weeks. :-)

BrandonGiesel
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 7

You know from what I'm seeing the Moto G (Global GSM), I guess the only difference between it and the US GSM is roaming capabilities for international traveling. The Moto G (2nd Generation) appears to support 3 of the 4 major cellular bands that T-Mobile uses which is the 850 MHz (2G), 1900 MHz (2G or 3G/4G), and 1700 MHz (3G/4G). So there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to see up to HSPA+ (4G) speeds which I believe is up to 21 Mbps. The only thing that I would recommend before purchasing this device is to make sure that T-Mobile will allow you to put this on a post-paid plan. Some devices are only prepaid devices. Otherwise, you should be all set.

I hope this helps you out.

BrandonGiesel
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 7

If you are wanting to use this new device in Europe, then this variant will be the best fit for you. The US GSM model technically wouldn't work there. So you're looking at the right device for what you're looking for. I really hope it works for ya too. I'm glad I was able to help you out. Sounds good. :-) Cheers!

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 7

petarp said:

Thank you for your help- it seems that the Amazon website refers to the US T-mobile network (I would be using mine in Europe). I found this link and I think that I need the international version, and that it should (fingers crossedSmiley Happy work on T-mobile in Europe.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2013/338376-differnces-between-gobal-us-versions.html

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it in a couple of weeks. :-)

View original

Petarp-

I see your country is listed as Croatia. Are you purchasing it from Croatia for use in Croatia or are you in US and will be using it in the US and eventually going back to Croatia for use there as well? The US version is optimized for T-Mobile US. The Global version would likely be the best fit for you however if a Warranty is important I would recommend getting a phone that is from your region vs from the US as our warranties aren't global.

Mark

Motorola Support

Mark
Former Employee
petarp
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

Thank you all for your replies! I've just got the phone and it does work on 3G on T-mobile Croatia.