Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parth18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,049
Message 1 of 13

Moto G3 not detecting internal storage

Hi. I use a Moto G3. Recently the phone has stopped detecting internal storage. What I mean is that when I use camera, it says "your internal storage is running out of space"; or when I try to take a screenshot, it says "can't take screenshot due to limited storage space". I cannot download Whatsapp images and videos , it says" can't download because no internal storage is available. Please unmount it as a disk drive and try again". If I try to send a voice message on Whatsapp, it says "internal storage required- Please turn off USB storage and try again".  When i try to back up my chats in Whatsapp, it says "Backup skipped - No internal storage found" 

But I have almost 5GB of free phone memory. And I use a SD card which the phone has stopped detecting abruptly. 

My PC running Windows 10 is also unable to detect any internal storage in my phone, though it gets connected. 

What do I do? 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,028
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto G3 not detecting internal storage

@Parth18 wrote:

Hi. I use a Moto G3. Recently the phone has stopped detecting internal storage. What I mean is that when I use camera, it says "your internal storage is running out of space"; or when I try to take a screenshot, it says "can't take screenshot due to limited storage space". I cannot download Whatsapp images and videos , it says" can't download because no internal storage is available. Please unmount it as a disk drive and try again". If I try to send a voice message on Whatsapp, it says "internal storage required- Please turn off USB storage and try again".  When i try to back up my chats in Whatsapp, it says "Backup skipped - No internal storage found" 

But I have almost 5GB of free phone memory. And I use a SD card which the phone has stopped detecting abruptly. 

My PC running Windows 10 is also unable to detect any internal storage in my phone, though it gets connected. 

What do I do? 

SD cards do go bad. Have you tried a different one?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Parth18
Paper Tape
Views: 1,012
Message 3 of 13

I have. tried a Strontium Class 10 card, which the phone then asked to be set up as internal or portable storage.  I've browsed the internet for hundreds of hours for the solution, but I still have hope that this case seems a little different. 

That's because, when the phone stopped detecting SD card, and when I was reading some solutions, I came across this advice to boot the phone in safe mode and see for once. I did that and the phone was reading the SD card. I was able to upload some of my photos to Drive before it stopped detecting it in safe mode. Now it does not detect it in safe mode too. 

Also, it's not reading any OTG device too. I have checked the cable, the usb port and everything with other similar devices and they all seem fine. There is some bug, something that is causing all this. It is not showing any storage when I connect it to PC. 

Please help. It seems the card is not corrupted and the SD slot is also fine. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,006
Message 4 of 13

If the card is not showing up in the phone, it won't show up when phone is connected to PC. 

Cards can fail. They can also be intermittently detected when they fail. Since this other class 10 card was detected, you appear to have a problem with the SD card. 

If you don't have a backup, I don't have any suggestions. 

EDIT - sorry, missed a few points. 

If it is a bug in the phone, your only real options are safe mode or a reset. If your SD card is formatted as internal, a reset will make it unaccessible as the encryption key will be deleted. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Parth18
Paper Tape
Views: 987
Message 5 of 13

Ok. Even if i take that SD card failed, why would the PC not detect the internal flash on phone. Explorer doesn't show anything.

Also, when i set up a new card as internal storage in the phone, the phone did not go back to working as usual. I could not take photos, screenshots or download whatsapp images and videos or send voice messages or anything that requires storage. 

Which means the phone is not detecting any storage, let alone the SD card. 

I am sure that's a software or OS or some issue at the intersection of it. I went through a lot of posts, and a lot of people over the years have been disappointed with this thing. Some posts say the problem continues even after a factory reset. I hope something can be of help. 

And why the weird messages about USB? Like "turn off the USB storage", or unmount it as a disk drive. Something has gone wrong other than the card. 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 981
Message 6 of 13

See this post,

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X4/Using-SD-card-as-internal-storage/m-p/4370193

Using an SD card as Internal/Adoptive Storage is not a good  idea IMHO.Too many ways it can go wrong.This an Android problem,not Lenovo/Moto's fault.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 972
Message 7 of 13

@Parth18 wrote:

Ok. Even if i take that SD card failed, why would the PC not detect the internal flash on phone. Explorer doesn't show anything.

Also, when i set up a new card as internal storage in the phone, the phone did not go back to working as usual. I could not take photos, screenshots or download whatsapp images and videos or send voice messages or anything that requires storage. 

Which means the phone is not detecting any storage, let alone the SD card. 

I am sure that's a software or OS or some issue at the intersection of it. I went through a lot of posts, and a lot of people over the years have been disappointed with this thing. Some posts say the problem continues even after a factory reset. I hope something can be of help. 

And why the weird messages about USB? Like "turn off the USB storage", or unmount it as a disk drive. Something has gone wrong other than the card. 

It could be a hardware issue - if it were an OS issue then many would be affected. you could try a reset or safe mode. For the PC connection, I am sure you know to pull down the shade and change USB to file transfer mode from charge only?

If this is an OS issue, it should be fixed via a reset - but there is nothing i have seen in the G3 similar affecting others; at least i don't recall the other posts you refer too. I have to admit it is hard to comment on a phone that is 4 generations old. 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 970
Message 8 of 13

It has nothing to do with my phone being a G3.It's fickle implementaion of using Micro SD cards as,"Adoptive" memory.

If you doubt me format any Micro SD card on any Android phone as,"Internal Memory".Then soft eject or take the card out and and then try and use the Card back in the phone.Tested on Two different Brand Android phones the data becomes unreadable.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 963
Message 9 of 13

@Porphyrius wrote:

It has nothing to do with my phone being a G3.It's fickle implementaion of using Micro SD cards as,"Adoptive" memory.

If you doubt me format any Micro SD card on any Android phone as,"Internal Memory".Then soft eject or take the card out and and then try and use the Card back in the phone.Tested on Two different Brand Android phones the data becomes unreadable.

I have always told people that Adopted storage is unreliable and not to use it unless you have to. I won't use it, but i have tested it and i have removed cards and reinserted without problem. But full encryption of the SD cards is hard on them, and if you reset your phone, you lose the key and access to the data. 

Parth18
Paper Tape
Views: 936
Message 10 of 13

Yeah. I use the MTP mode when I connected the phone to PC. No kind of storage is visible. If I reset it and lose the encryption key, I would lose all my images. Thats the only thing I'm worried about. 

But if it's a hardware issue, it means that my card is fine (which I believe it is). I just dont know why it's asking me to turn off USB storage or saying that no internal storage found  - implies that it is not detecting any kind of storage, neither internal flash or card. 

I just hope to figure out a workaround this