Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhoneDonkey
WWAN
Views: 350
Message 1 of 4

Motorola Migrate and SD card

I am waiting for delivery of a Moto G2 and will want to migrate from a Samsung phone. 

I understand that Motorola Migrate will do that. How does Migrate handle the SD card?  I will want to simply move the SD card from the Samsung to the Moto G2. The SD contains photos which I wish to keep. I don't plan on buying another SD card.

My question is how? do I remove it from the Samsung before I migrate and insert it in the Moto G2 once migrated? or does it have to remain in the Samsung while migrating?

motoG_-_Gaurav
802.11n
Message 2 of 4

Re: Motorola Migrate and SD card

I don't think Moto Migrate enables transferring files on SD cards. It will only help migrating files/data <like contacts, calendar entries, photos, music,> on your internal phone memory.

The easiest way is to uproot your SD card from Samsung & plug it in your Moto G2. Make sure you insert SD card while the device is power-off.

Cheers!

Gaurav

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 4

I'd do it on a computer if you're looking to keep the files on both phones.  First, copy the card to a folder on the computer, then copy the files to the new card.  

I'd backup the card to a computer periodically anyway, just in case.

Good luck with the new phone!   ☺

PhoneDonkey
WWAN
Message 4 of 4

Thanks all for the feedback. @Crystallet. As I hope to just move the SD card rather than using a new one in the Moto G2 then I guess I don't need to copy the files back to it once it is in the Moto G2 as they should already be there and be able to be read by the Moto G2. I don't need the SD contents (mainly pictures) on both phones

I take your point about doing a back up to the computer periodically.

The G2 is an addition in the family as my original G continues to perform wellsmiley