Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramenta
What's DOS?
Views: 8,766
Message 1 of 48

Problem using SD card

I recently purchased the new Moto G and am trying to use an SD card. However, after I insert the card a message appears telling me the card is removed.

The SD card I'm using is a Kingston microSDHC 8GB class 10. The card works fine on my pc. I already formatted it with SDFormatter, with no effect.

On the internet I found other people having similar problems with the old Moto G. Those problems were mostly fixed after upgrading to 4.4.4. However, my Moto G came with 4.4.4 pre-installed.

Is this a common problem for the new Moto G and if so, are there any known solutions?

motoG_-_Gaurav
802.11n
Message 2 of 48

Re: Problem using SD card

Are you trying to insert SD card while the device is up & running? If so, then you may chose to do the following & see if it works

1. Power-off your device

2. Insert the SD card in the slot

3. Power-on your phone

ramenta
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 48

motoG_-_Gaurav said:

Are you trying to insert SD card while the device is up & running? If so, then you may chose to do the following & see if it works

1. Power-off your device

2. Insert the SD card in the slot

3. Power-on your phone

View original

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried this aswell, but it didn't fix the problem.

I also tried a different card (2gb class4 from ADATA), which did work. However, the 8GB one still does not.

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 48

Hi there

Can you format on PC using FAT32 option..

Then put one or two mp3 files on the card and then insert it into the phone to see if it works.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
ramenta
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 48

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

Hi there

Can you format on PC using FAT32 option..

Then put one or two mp3 files on the card and then insert it into the phone to see if it works.

Mark

Forums Manager

View original

Thanks, Mark. I tried what you asked, but my phone still doesn't use the SD card. Is there anything else I can try? Could this have anything to do with the SD card problems reported for the first gen Moto G?

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 6 of 48

We're investigating this. Can you please do the following

• Go to Settings > About Phone > Build Number and tap 7-10 times to start Developer Mode

• Go back to Settings and look for Developer Options. and enable USB Debugging.

• Select option for Power menu bug reports

1. When notifications stop press power button down and then select Bug Report and then select Report.

2. When capture is complete there will be a 4 parallel line icon in notifications bar and phone will vibrate to conclude capture.

3. Accept Privacy Screen

4. Then Select Email account you use on forums to send email to us.

5. Send email with subject "Moto G 2nd Gen SD Card Problem" to Supportforums@motorola.com with attached logs. 

6. If you prefer you can upload the file to Google Drive and then share the file with supportforums@Motorola.com. Ensure that you add a message to the File share screen that indicates your Forum Display Name and also contains "Moto G 2nd Gen SD Card Problem"

7. In the email please include the following details.

1. The exact time you saw the issue.

2. Specific filenames that you attempted to access.

3. What limitations you had (SD card didn’t show, couldn’t open/access file, etc).

8. We don't recommend you upload the file to the forum but you can indicate your bug report specific file on the forum after it has been emailed to us. (example bugreport-2014-10-01-12-42-24.txt)

Do's and Don'ts

Do:

1. Do send us your bug report if you are encountering this issue and you're a member of the forum. If you send a bug report but you're just a lurker, we won't look at the bug reports.

2. Do Subscribe to this thread if you've sent us an email with a bug report in case we need to reply to you.

3. Do put the appropriate subject line "Moto G 2nd Gen SD Card Problem ". This helps us route your bug reports to our engineers sooner than later.

4. Reference your Display Name in your email and this thread https://forums.motorola.com/posts/42394635fa if you have it handy.

5. Take a bug report right after it happens and indicate the time so we can quickly look through the report for relevant data. Some of the files are huge.

Don't: 

1. Submit a bug report for another issue from another thread. If we need logs then we'll ask for them in the respective thread.

2. If we have enough bug reports to evaluate and have stopped requesting them. Don't send more. 

3. Follow the steps above.

4. Don't send emails asking for a status update. We'll post in this thread if we have any news or any additional questions to ask.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tom

Motorola Support

Cookie1338
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 48

Greetings, I am facing the exact same issue with the exact same sd card (Kingston microSDHC 8GB class 10) and have found this thread via a google search. I have followed all suggestions on all posts and the steps on the last post and have sent a bug report too.

bugreport-2014-10-05-13-25-58.txt

Motorola Admin
Message 8 of 48

Cookie1338 said:

Greetings, I am facing the exact same issue with the exact same sd card (Kingston microSDHC 8GB class 10) and have found this thread via a google search. I have followed all suggestions on all posts and the steps on the last post and have sent a bug report too.

bugreport-2014-10-05-13-25-58.txt

View original

Thank you very much for submitting your bug report. I'd like to get some more information. Have you tried using any other SD Card in your device? If so, did any other SD Cards work? If so which card worked in the device?

Thank you,

Tom

Motorola Support

Cookie1338
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 48

I have not tried any other SD card because I only have that one which didn't work. Thanks.

Edit: I have tried a friend's Sandisk 8GB microSDHC I and that does not work either. I don't even get the notification "SD card removed. Please insert a new one." like with my own sd card.

Motorola Admin
Message 10 of 48

Cookie1338 said:

I have not tried any other SD card because I only have that one which didn't work. Thanks.

Edit: I have tried a friend's Sandisk 8GB microSDHC I and that does not work either. I don't even get the notification "SD card removed. Please insert a new one." like with my own sd card.

View original

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. We have tested with the card you mentioned and haven't been able to recreate the issue. We want to make sure we're testing the the exact same SD Card. Can you please take pictures of the front and back of your SD Card? Please email it to Supportforums@motorola.com with the subject "Moto G 2nd Gen SD Card Problem_Picture". Please also include your Display Name in your email and this thread https://forums.motorola.com/posts/42394635fa.

Thank you

Tom

Motorola Support