cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WolfKuerschner
Paper Tape
Views: 15,906
Message 1 of 11

SD-card (adopted as internal storage) suddenly not recognized anymore by Moto G 2014

Hi,

my SD-card suddenly stopped working together with my phone. It is adopted as internal storage. Now in the menu "storage and usb" it is listed as missing. During booting of the device it tries to connect to the card, but does not finish it. This behaviour started suddenly after an error message appeared on the screen (don't remember anymore, what kind of error). I restarted the phone, and then - the SD-card was not recognized anymore. I plugged it into a PC (Win10) - the card seems to be ok (and shows the usual folders of adopted sd-cards). 

I did not do anything to the phone - the bootloader in not unlocked, the phone is not rooted.

In the meantime I found out, that there has to be a file on the phone (expand%s.key) in a vold-folder within the data folder containing the encryption key for the SD-card. I also found some guideline how to decrypt the data on the SD-card using the encryption key.

The problem is: as my phone is not rooted, I cannot gain access to the encryption key file. If I try to access it, I always get "permission denied". 

If I would open the bootloader, all internal sytem files including the encryption key will be deleted. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the key from my phone? 

:-( Wolf 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 15,899
Message 2 of 11

Re: SD-card (adopted as internal storage) suddenly not recognized anymore by Moto G 2014

@WolfKuerschner wrote:

Hi,

my SD-card suddenly stopped working together with my phone. It is adopted as internal storage. Now in the menu "storage and usb" it is listed as missing. During booting of the device it tries to connect to the card, but does not finish it. This behaviour started suddenly after an error message appeared on the screen (don't remember anymore, what kind of error). I restarted the phone, and then - the SD-card was not recognized anymore. I plugged it into a PC (Win10) - the card seems to be ok (and shows the usual folders of adopted sd-cards). 

I did not do anything to the phone - the bootloader in not unlocked, the phone is not rooted.

In the meantime I found out, that there has to be a file on the phone (expand%s.key) in a vold-folder within the data folder containing the encryption key for the SD-card. I also found some guideline how to decrypt the data on the SD-card using the encryption key.

The problem is: as my phone is not rooted, I cannot gain access to the encryption key file. If I try to access it, I always get "permission denied". 

If I would open the bootloader, all internal sytem files including the encryption key will be deleted. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the key from my phone? 

:-( Wolf 

There is no known way to recover the key without breaking the security model (root) and we can't discuss that here. 

I am sorry your card can't be read, but that is the downside to adopted/internal storage. 

I suggest you ask on other forums that cater to hacking to see if there is way to get access to the encryption key. That is not something we can help with on this forum. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
WolfKuerschner
Paper Tape
Views: 15,849
Message 3 of 11

Re: SD-card (adopted as internal storage) suddenly not recognized anymore by Moto G 2014

Well, I still hope to find a way to get the access without hacking the phone!

Next thing I will try is copying everything (1:1 copy of every bit and byte) from the card to a USB stick and then see, what the phone thinks about that... If the data on the card is not corrupt, and as the phone itself encrypted the data, it should be able to decrypt it. But I fear, that even in the case it can read the data on the stick, it will not decrypt it, as it is not the same SD card at the same (internal) address. But I will post the results of my tests here!

WolfKuerschner
Paper Tape
Views: 15,818
Message 4 of 11

HEUREKA!

I was able to safe all my data, without hacking the phone!

And in the end it was so easy!

1. I took the SD card out of the phone and put it into the card reader of my desktop computer (Win7).

2. I tested a small external USB hard disk with my phone with a normal FAT32 partition - it was recognized by the phone without any problems.

3. I backed up/imaged the SD card to the hard disk of my desktop computer (standard partition manager program). (Just in case, but probably this step is not needed.)

4. I cloned the image of the SD card to the external USB hard disk. The SD card size is about 64 GB, the HDD's size 240 GB. So enough space to create a second (FAT32) partition. The original partition from Nr. 2 gets destroyed during the image cloning!

5. Then - I plugged the external HDD to the phone, and: it recognized it! It opened the encrypted folder, all apps in the adopted storage were working, all my images are ok! It also recognized the second FAT32 partition as a normal external USB storage!

6. I went to "Storage and USB", opened the "SD card", scrolled down in the menu to the bottom ("Explore"), then selected the important folders (DCIM!!), clicked on the menu (upper right side), chose "Copy To". The program then already shows the root folder of the external USB storage, I just clicked ok and then I had to wait for the copying to complete. Because of the size of the picture folder I had to unplugg the external HDD several times to charge the battery of the phone. I also moved all important apps from adopted storage to internal storage, and they are working just fine.

Now I will test the SD card to find out what is wrong with it!

Hopefully, this information will help you if you get into similar trouble!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 15,811
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for reporting. I thought it might work, but i also thought the disk serial may be tied in and it wouldnt. 

Is the destroyed nr2 partition the sd card? Or is that the usb hard drive partition? The encrypted partition should be Ext3/4

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
skeeeeee
Paper Tape
Views: 15,775
Message 6 of 11

Hi!

i have your same problem and i need to recover the data from my sd set as internal memory storage on my Moto G 2° Gen, but unfortunately my phone don't detected anymore the sd (just for 10 s and then the sd disappeared).

I find your guide after a lot of research, and i wish could work also for me.

Can we write in private somewhere for more details? because i don't understand very well what you explain Smiley Happy

Thank! Smiley Happy

@WolfKuerschner wrote:

HEUREKA!

I was able to safe all my data, without hacking the phone!

And in the end it was so easy!

1. I took the SD card out of the phone and put it into the card reader of my desktop computer (Win7).

2. I tested a small external USB hard disk with my phone with a normal FAT32 partition - it was recognized by the phone without any problems.

3. I backed up/imaged the SD card to the hard disk of my desktop computer (standard partition manager program). (Just in case, but probably this step is not needed.)

4. I cloned the image of the SD card to the external USB hard disk. The SD card size is about 64 GB, the HDD's size 240 GB. So enough space to create a second (FAT32) partition. The original partition from Nr. 2 gets destroyed during the image cloning!

5. Then - I plugged the external HDD to the phone, and: it recognized it! It opened the encrypted folder, all apps in the adopted storage were working, all my images are ok! It also recognized the second FAT32 partition as a normal external USB storage!

6. I went to "Storage and USB", opened the "SD card", scrolled down in the menu to the bottom ("Explore"), then selected the important folders (DCIM!!), clicked on the menu (upper right side), chose "Copy To". The program then already shows the root folder of the external USB storage, I just clicked ok and then I had to wait for the copying to complete. Because of the size of the picture folder I had to unplugg the external HDD several times to charge the battery of the phone. I also moved all important apps from adopted storage to internal storage, and they are working just fine.

Now I will test the SD card to find out what is wrong with it!

Hopefully, this information will help you if you get into similar trouble!

MSA2016
Paper Tape
Views: 15,694
Message 7 of 11

hello, i have the same problem my card is recognized only for a few seconds and then it stops.

did you find a solution? did the steps helped you?

thank you!!

WolfKuerschner
Paper Tape
Views: 15,551
Message 8 of 11

Hi,

My SD-card was not recognized by my phone anymore, too. You have to take the card out of the phone and plug it into an SD-card reader (probably with an adaptor for the tiny card). Hopefully the card is not damaged, that is, it still can be read. If it is still recognized by e.g. Win10 pc, get a backup of the card as soon as possible! You need a 1:1 copy of the whole card! I used "USB Image Tool". It creates a copy of the whole SD-card within a single file! This file contains all the encrypted partition(s) of the SD card. 

Then you have to write the copy to another storage medium. Probably another SD-card. First I used a portable USB hard disk, because my other (new) SD card from another brand was a bit smaller then the old one, and the image program could not write the file to the card. Anyway, as long as your phone recognizes a portable USB stick or USB hard disk, this works: because in the moment you add the card to the original phone, android will decrypt the encrypted files! But only on the original phone. If the phone is destroyed, you will probably never can retreive the files. Maybe with brute force attack and a quantum computer in years to come?

I then just copied all the files from the usb hard disk to the new sd card inside the phone. Before I already installed it as internal storage - android can have several internal storage cards!

Hope this helps!

WolfKuerschner
Paper Tape
Views: 15,550
Message 9 of 11

My card was not recognized by the phone anymore. Don't know why. But I could get the backup, because it was still recognized by Win10. Later even Win10 was not recognizing it anymore. So, probably the card has a failure. Currently I try to get another one from the manufacturer ("life time guarantee..").

DrMartin77
What's DOS?
Views: 11,621
Message 10 of 11

I have this exact same issue. My phone suddenly stopped recognizing the SD card. This is formatted as internal memory, so I have some apps and most important all of my pictures from the last few months in it, which I wouldn't want to lose. The problem with this solution is that since the card is formatted as "internal memory", when I plug it into my PC, it offers me the option to format the card as if it was empty. Is this supposed to be like this? Can I still go through the whole image copy of it even if the PC does not recognize the information contained in it?