Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BD_1982
Paper Tape
Views: 247
Message 1 of 3

Sudden invalid SIM error

Hello all

I am looking for help - I own a  Motorola Moto G 5-Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB SIM-Free, which I have been using happily for more than 3 years with a UK (Slot 1) and an Italian (slot 2) SIM. About 40 days ago I got a new Italian provider & SIM, which I installed no problem (slot 2). Have been having no issues whatsoever (except that I can't make the hotspot function work), then suddenly today the phone displayed a "no SIM message" (for both). I rebooted and put the correct PIN for the Italian SIM but got a "failed PIN authentication" message. The UK SIM reappeared but the Italian didn't.

I removed both SIMs and swapped them around in various cmbinations, and the UK one works in both slots, the Italian one doesn't work in neither. However, the Italian SIM does work in my husband's dual sim moto phone! Hence the issue is somewhat related to my phone-SIM communication I guess. 

I have tried to do soft reboots, switching on/off airplane mode, clearing cache. Anything else I should try?

Thanks very much

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 220
Message 2 of 3

Re: Sudden invalid SIM error

@BD_1982 wrote:

Hello all

I am looking for help - I own a  Motorola Moto G 5-Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB SIM-Free, which I have been using happily for more than 3 years with a UK (Slot 1) and an Italian (slot 2) SIM. About 40 days ago I got a new Italian provider & SIM, which I installed no problem (slot 2). Have been having no issues whatsoever (except that I can't make the hotspot function work), then suddenly today the phone displayed a "no SIM message" (for both). I rebooted and put the correct PIN for the Italian SIM but got a "failed PIN authentication" message. The UK SIM reappeared but the Italian didn't.

I removed both SIMs and swapped them around in various cmbinations, and the UK one works in both slots, the Italian one doesn't work in neither. However, the Italian SIM does work in my husband's dual sim moto phone! Hence the issue is somewhat related to my phone-SIM communication I guess. 

I have tried to do soft reboots, switching on/off airplane mode, clearing cache. Anything else I should try?

Thanks very much

Some users have reported some SIM cards are thinner then others, and the thinner ones don't always make contact correctly. 

Others have said there were successful in putting a shim or piece of tape on the back of the sim card when this was the cause. I have to add a disclaime that you could damage your phone trying this, so proceed at your own risk. I am not advocating you do this. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
BD_1982
Paper Tape
Views: 183
Message 3 of 3

Re: Sudden invalid SIM error

@AlphaDog wrote:

@BD_1982 wrote:

Hello all

Thanks very much

Some users have reported some SIM cards are thinner then others, and the thinner ones don't always make contact correctly. 

Others have said there were successful in putting a shim or piece of tape on the back of the sim card when this was the cause. I have to add a disclaime that you could damage your phone trying this, so proceed at your own risk. I am not advocating you do this. 

Thanks for your message - I tried but sadly it did not help in my case!