Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FJK
What's DOS?
Views: 862
Message 1 of 9

US-GSM or Global GSM for Use in USA + Europe

I live in the U.S., but will be spending several months in Europe, mostly Germany. Which one should I get?

I haven't made a decision about the service provider, but T-Mobile prepaid looks decent to me, and I already have a T-Mobile Sim card for Germany. From what I've been able to gather, the Global GSM version may have problems with T-Mobile here, which seems to require 1700 and 2100 see http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988:

T-Mobile 4G (HSPA+)

• With 4G, theoretical maximum download speeds range from 21 Mbps up to 42 Mbps.

• Our 4G network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. We use 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies to use voice and data services. You'll need a phone that supports 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz to connect to our 4G network.

• Once you're registered on our 4G network, you can take advantage of incredibly fast download speeds, and even use voice and data services at the same time.

T-Mobile 3G (HSPA)

• With 3G, theoretical maximum download of 14 Mbps.

• Our 3G network operates on the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz frequencies. You'll need a phone that supports 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz to connect to our 3G network.

• On our 3G network, you can use voice and data services simultaneously.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 2 of 9

Re: US-GSM or Global GSM for Use in USA + Europe

If you are going to use T-Mobile as your carrier, pick the US version.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
shaleck
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

If you are going to use T-Mobile as your carrier, pick the US version.

View original

What about VZW?  I was going to purchase the Moto G Global GSM last evening; however, it looks like it is "pre-order" only and won't be shipped/available until September 19, 2014.  Does that sound right?

Also, why do you need to go all the way though check out (i.e. enter credit card info) to determine availability?  I found this to be a bit frustrating.

Wendy_W
Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 9

VZW uses a CDMA network, so a GSM device is not going to be fully compatible with their network.

shaleck
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 9

Wendy_W said:

VZW uses a CDMA network, so a GSM device is not going to be fully compatible with their network.

View original

When you say won't be fully compatible, what does that mean?  VZW customer service said this phone would work with their service.

Wendy_W
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 9

Did you specify that you were referring to the GSM version? Verizon does sell a CDMA version of the Moto G (1st gen, anyway), on their prepaid plan.

Highlighted
shaleck
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9

I did say GSM when I called Verizon Wireless.  That is scary!

It sounds like VZW won't allow the Moto G (1st gen) to be utilized as anything other than pre-paid device.

kbmaverick
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

shaleck said:

Wendy_W said:

View original

When you say won't be fully compatible, what does that mean?  VZW customer service said this phone would work with their service.

View original

Verizon's version of the Moto G - 1st Gen is the model XT1028, which they call the "Moto G by Verizon".  This is a CDMA only phone.  It will not take a GSM SIM card like the CDMA version of the iPhone 5S, so it is worthless in Europe, Brazil, or anywhere GSM networks are the standard.  It is only available only though Verizon with their pre-paid plans.

The Moto G - 2nd Gen is currently only available in three versions, all of which are GSM only - will not work on Verizon's CDMA network.

RakSiam
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9

I am on T-mob and I ordered the Global version. I assume that's what I received. And it works perfectly fine for my with my T-mobile SIM. I am in the DC area so we are one of the areas with good hi speed coverage on the 1900 band. It's been showing me H+ and I've been streaming radio no problem.

Since I am headed to Asia where I need the 2100 band for 3G it seemed to make sense to get the Global version. However, strangely, the Global version sold to US customers only has one SIM slot instead of the dual SIMs available elsewhere. This seems like a weird and needless complication to me. Why build so many different versions of the same phone? I contacted customer service because I was concerned that only one SIM meant that they had sent me the US version instead of the Global version. But they told me that if you're in the US you can only get one SIM slot no matter which version (US or Global) you buy.