Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 1 of 6 (2,973 Views)

Where does all my internal storage go?

I'm puzzled by how storage is handled / reportd in Android.

I have the Moto G 2, Dual Sim, 8GB storage. Under Storage & USB, I see Android OS takes up 2.49GB, and my Internal Storage capacity is 5.51GB. 8GB total, all good.

But my phone says I've used 4.49GB of the Internal Storage, and this is where I get confused. When I look at the details, it shows Apps as taking up 1.84GB, and Cached data 151MB. So where's the other ~2.5GB gone? All my other stuff is on the SD card (I switched to using my SD as internal / adoptable storage a couple of weeks back).

Before I made any changes my Internal Storage was up around the 5GB mark. I cleared out some lesser used apps, then did the switch to adoptable storage, and after that I was down to under 4GB Internal in use. But now about a week later, having hardly added a thing, it's up at 4.5GB.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Senior MotoAgent
Message 2 of 6 (2,813 Views)

Re: Where does all my internal storage go?

JamesR wrote:

I'm puzzled by how storage is handled / reportd in Android.

I have the Moto G 2, Dual Sim, 8GB storage. Under Storage & USB, I see Android OS takes up 2.49GB, and my Internal Storage capacity is 5.51GB. 8GB total, all good.

But my phone says I've used 4.49GB of the Internal Storage, and this is where I get confused. When I look at the details, it shows Apps as taking up 1.84GB, and Cached data 151MB. So where's the other ~2.5GB gone? All my other stuff is on the SD card (I switched to using my SD as internal / adoptable storage a couple of weeks back).

Before I made any changes my Internal Storage was up around the 5GB mark. I cleared out some lesser used apps, then did the switch to adoptable storage, and after that I was down to under 4GB Internal in use. But now about a week later, having hardly added a thing, it's up at 4.5GB.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

Hi JamesR, 

The actual available capacity of the storage and internal memory is less because the operating system, software, and other functions utilize part of this capacity. The available capacity may change when you upgrade the device.As well you can check that in this link.

Regards, 

Maya

Motorola Support

Punch Card
Message 3 of 6 (2,806 Views)

Thanks Maya!

One of the things that I was most concerned by was how quickly the free space seemed to disappear. Not long after I'd got down to just under 4GB used, it crept back up to being 4.5GB. So it seemed that however diligent I was at removing apps, the space I had free never stayed free for long.

One thing I did today that changed things quite a bit - I removed and then reconfigured my Exchange account. Just doing this has meant my used space has gone from 4.5GB to 3.6GB! I can only assume that the Exchange account was somehow consuming more and more space as time went on, despite the amount of actual content staying pretty consistent.

Do you know of any way to address this ongoing, other than deleting it all and starting over? It does seem a bit drastic an approach!

Senior MotoAgent
Message 4 of 6 (2,787 Views)

JamesR wrote:

Thanks Maya!

One of the things that I was most concerned by was how quickly the free space seemed to disappear. Not long after I'd got down to just under 4GB used, it crept back up to being 4.5GB. So it seemed that however diligent I was at removing apps, the space I had free never stayed free for long.

One thing I did today that changed things quite a bit - I removed and then reconfigured my Exchange account. Just doing this has meant my used space has gone from 4.5GB to 3.6GB! I can only assume that the Exchange account was somehow consuming more and more space as time went on, despite the amount of actual content staying pretty consistent.

Do you know of any way to address this ongoing, other than deleting it all and starting over? It does seem a bit drastic an approach!

Hi JamesR, 

In this link you will find some steps that you can perform, can you please try it? and let me know if it works.

Regards, 

Maya

Motorola Support

Punch Card
Message 5 of 6 (2,771 Views)

I'd already converted my SD card to adoptable storage, that was how I'd freed up about 1GB of space (along with deleting older apps).

What alarmed me was how quickly that free space disappeared, despite me not loading any new apps.

Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 6 (2,720 Views)

Unfortunately it appears as though the "adoptable storage" doesn't function as advertised to consumers. It appears that it is only the "primary shared storage contents" and it does not in fact "act like internal storage." Apps still need to be built and deployed with the correct settings that allow users to designate that the app should be installed in external storage, and you still need to manually move apps (some? all?) to the SD card.

It appears that some apps advertise that they prefer to be located on internal storage (e.g. Facebook, FB Messenger) and every time they update you need to move them to the SD card all over again. Then there are those apps that don't allow you to move them at all. If I'm feeling charitable I'll allow that some may in fact run into trouble in certain cases if they aren't stored internally and there are sufficient users that the support burden would be unreasonable for those users that don't understand the tradeoffs (e.g. Google apps), although I suspect most are due to low-quality development or from a developer's over-inflated sense of the importance of their app, which usually also suffers from performance issues in attempting to accomplish a single simple task (seriously? Your crappy little school lunch calendar which basically wraps some RESTful service calls in an ugly non-standard poorly performing UI can't run from external storage?).

Basically, adoptable storage is poorly represented and still requires a significant manual effort to regularly groom internal storage usage, a burden that has increased since Marshmallow no longer allows apps such as App2SD to manage things for you.

Top Kudoed Authors