Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caseyrock
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,008
Message 1 of 4

Another one with an SD card missing message

Like many other community members, I had this message pop up a couple of times.  I bought this phone (moto G 3rd gen) in November from Koodo (Telus).  It was refurbished, but had Marshmellow 6.0 installed.  It didn't have an SD card, so I bought and installed a Sandisk 32 GB, class 10 card.  It all worked fine for about a week until I kept getting the missing SD card message.  Sometimes once a day but eventually 3 or 4 times a day.  Lately however, I don't get the message anymore, but the phone will just turn itself off and start to reboot.  After rebooting, most of my apps are inaccessible (icons are faded) and the app icons have to be reinstalled again.  Also, my notification sounds are being reset to the default notification sound.  I cannot reset the sounds until after I do another reboot, because it cannot access my 'custom' sounds (Probably doesn't recognize the SD card at this time).

Annoying is just to put it mildly.

Just today I got a message that said that new version 7.0 is availble to be installed.  Maybe it has a fix to this problem, but I'm a bit leery to install it at this time.  Has anybody installed it already and if so, is it running okay?  Did it fix the "missing SD card problem?"

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 967
Message 2 of 4

Re: Another one with an SD card missing message

@caseyrock wrote:

Like many other community members, I had this message pop up a couple of times.  I bought this phone (moto G 3rd gen) in November from Koodo (Telus).  It was refurbished, but had Marshmellow 6.0 installed.  It didn't have an SD card, so I bought and installed a Sandisk 32 GB, class 10 card.  It all worked fine for about a week until I kept getting the missing SD card message.  Sometimes once a day but eventually 3 or 4 times a day.  Lately however, I don't get the message anymore, but the phone will just turn itself off and start to reboot.  After rebooting, most of my apps are inaccessible (icons are faded) and the app icons have to be reinstalled again.  Also, my notification sounds are being reset to the default notification sound.  I cannot reset the sounds until after I do another reboot, because it cannot access my 'custom' sounds (Probably doesn't recognize the SD card at this time).

Annoying is just to put it mildly.

Just today I got a message that said that new version 7.0 is availble to be installed.  Maybe it has a fix to this problem, but I'm a bit leery to install it at this time.  Has anybody installed it already and if so, is it running okay?  Did it fix the "missing SD card problem?"

There is no android 7.0 for 3rd gen G. The update is something else or you have misidentified the ohone.  

Try moving data from sd card back to ohone and  use sd card as external.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Guru
Views: 953
Message 3 of 4

I also have a Telus reconditioned G3 8 GB version & so far after 6? months, it still runs perfectly. Yesterday I received an update for security version Osprey 24.71.2 & it so far has been installed for 24 hours & still runs well. No problems. This is NOT Android OS v7 but still Android OS v6.0. (After installation & using it for a bit, I also cleaned out the Cache Partition just to clear out old files cause I can (search forums for how to do this if you want to try it, print out instructions to have beside you)).

Also, I may have the same SD card as you but I have had zero problems with it. I have my SD storage set up as EXTERNAL, and I have never moved any apps to the SD card, which is usually the problem folks encounter, such as you are. Search the forum for info on this. OS v6 does not allow this.  As already suggested, check to see if you have apps previously installed to the SD card from say OS v5? If so, uninstall them & reinstall them to "Internal Storage".

So while it may be a hardware issue you are encountering, it may & likely be, an user installed app conflict (quite likely), an app installed to SD card which is no longer allowed for OS v6+, VERY likely if done, malware, incorrect app permission(s) or incorrect app setting or permission for a Google Services app, also quite possible.

I have a few Google services apps disabled or permissions throttled & have disabled & or uninstalled a bunch of the default apps that came with the device, so it is possible & to have the device run trouble free. But to disable Google Services apps or to modify their permissions takes a bit of trial & error as some device functions can be broken until reset. Some are vital for other apps to continue working but it's not a big deal to try & tweak them

FWIW, I use the free, compact, Total Commander for my file manager app & it has a function to copy installed apps to a folder, which I use all the time to back up an app before installing a new version. It is a nice way to back up apps or to make copies for other devices if re-downloading apps is a PITA. I have also done this for ALL apps on the device, even the original OEM apps though I've not yet had to use them.

Here is how to set up the SD card for ANDROID OS v6+: Android OS v6+ SD Card Tips

caseyrock
Fanfold Paper
Views: 890
Message 4 of 4

All's well!!!

About two weeks ago, there was an update.  After installing it, I have had no more problem with my phone not being able to detect the SD card.

I don't know if there was a change in the software that corrected it, but I'm so far quite happy.

Fingers crossed that this update actually fixed the problem.