Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerumbo1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,775
Message 1 of 5

Does this phone work in China?

I bought the Moto G (3rd Gen) XT 1540 because it was advertised as a "global" GSM phone and I want to give it to my wife for her to use in China (with a SIM card to be bought in China, like China Mobile for example).  However I am concerned becaue the full model number that I received ends with 00927/NARTL, with I understand means it is the North America variant.  Can anyone please tell me whether this phone will work in China?  Thank you for any info on this!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,748
Message 2 of 5

Re: Does this phone work in China?

It would help if you told us what frequencies the carrier used. Is the carrier GSM or CDMA? Will the carrier allow you to bring your own phone?

But Motorola doesn't recommend buying phones in one region and using them in another.  All warranty is in region phone is designed for. Also, phones are optimized for certain regions. They may travel globally, but not all features may work in other regions. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
kerumbo1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,733
Message 3 of 5

Fair enough, thanks for the reply, AlphaDog!  The plan is to buy a SIM card in China, so...GSM. From what I can find out China uses 900 (and in in some areas 1800), which  believe this phone has, so on that score it looks OK, but I guess I was hoping for better informed confirmation if possible. The 2 major choices of carriers are China Mobile and China Unicom, and both say they use 3G 2100 and 4G LTE 2500 Mhz.  I didn't know there are other variables, but that's why I am asking for expert advice. My wife will probably want, ideally, to be able to make some calls to the USA and a few local, plus some texting and if possible use some internet features like maps.  Thanks again.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,709
Message 4 of 5

@kerumbo1 wrote:

I bought the Moto G (3rd Gen) XT 1540 because it was advertised as a "global" GSM phone and I want to give it to my wife for her to use in China (with a SIM card to be bought in China, like China Mobile for example).  However I am concerned becaue the full model number that I received ends with 00927/NARTL, with I understand means it is the North America variant.  Can anyone please tell me whether this phone will work in China?  Thank you for any info on this!

Hi kerumbo1,

Either of the two versions may work. Try to see this link as it may show you this phone may work to some carriers in China. See here.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

iman1978
Blue Screen Again
Views: 155
Message 5 of 5

Re: Does this phone work out of China?

Hi

I bought a Moto Z in China and now I out of China.

I tried to install apps like Whatsapp, Instagram, etc. but it failed.

Also I could not set my location for wheather updates.

As I read your reply that some Moto phones in china have been tailored for that market, are those issues come from this point? Is there any way that I can set it back to a consition that is free for installation?

Thaks and Regards

Top Kudoed Authors