Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
robm103
What's DOS?
Views: 9,989
Message 1 of 15

Driving Mode in Assist?

I'm very confused because I've upgraded from a 1st generation Moto X to the new Moto G, but Assist is completely different now and there's no option for Driving Mode to speak texts and automatically default the phone to speaker mode when answered. Is this not a feature on this phone? And if it is, where do I find it? Because it doesn't appear under the Moto Assist app under Activities: all I get is Sleeping and Meeting there.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 9,950
Message 2 of 15

Re: Driving Mode in Assist?

Assist Driving Mode is not supported by Moto G 3.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Avilash22
What's DOS?
Views: 9,926
Message 3 of 15

assist driving mode was very useful. please put it in moto g 3rd gen. we really need it

saucycg
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 15

How in the world did this feature not make it into the 3rd generation G?  I just got one and was really looking forward to this feature.  Should not be hard to implement, especially for most cars with bluetooth in them already.  Very disappointed.

Philadelphia
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 15

I agree that the lack of this feature feels kind of bogus. I loved moving from a Moto X (2nd Gen) to a Moto G (3rd Gen) -- happy to have the storage, speed, fm radio, better camera, etc. But this "Moto" app on the G 3rd Gen feels so cheap compared to "Moto Assist" for my old Moto X 1st gen. So cheap. Really, really cheap. Did I mention cheap?

Here's what "Moto Assist" offered: 1. Driving options to read messages that arrive on my phone OR play music (super cool and helpful!), 2. "Home" options where the phone would read messages aloud (or not). 3. "In a meeting" options that were sensible and helpful. 4. Sleeping options such as interrupt when a starred favorite calls or someone calls twice (kinda cool). 5. Clear and helpful design.

Here's what "Moto" offers: 1. Sleeping options (but it doesn't tell users that "priority interruptions" are defined via the interface accessed via volume button). 2. Meeting options (same as above). 3. Limited "Other places" options like "Home" or "Work" where the moto offers you two options: keep the phone quiet or let it vibrate (and, again, the unexplained "priority interuptions") -- what happened to reading messages aloud? 4. Creepy design and a clueless butler of inconvenience instead of the old butler who knew how to do so much more.

What's going on here? I know the Moto G 3rd Gen is a mid-range to budget phone. Is this the result of cost-cutting? Is Lollipop about to do all the stuff that Assist used to do?  I know there are always work-arounds, so I'm really just asking 'cause I'm curious.

(I edited this to note that my first Moto was a 2nd gen X (not a first gen).

captain-janeway
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 15

Agreed Philly. Just got a Gen 3 because I lost my Gen 1 and wish I had it back. Besides all the other stuff you mentioned, I hate that there is no notification light. The Moto app does one quick blink and that's it. At least it should be able to be set to keep blinking until acknowledged. The only way to see if there's something on the phone is to pick it up. I can even see where there's a notification light on the handset, it just doesn't work. May send this one back and get a gen 2 that had better useful features. Hope they all wouldn't be wiped out with a Marshmallow upgrade.

Philadelphia
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 15

Update: I am actually in the free-trial period of an app called ReadItToMe, and I am very satisfied with it. After only using it for one week, I am actually enjoying MORE hands-free functionality than I did with the hands-free features of my first Moto.

I tried Agent for a while, but it's driving mode detector wasn't so hot. That option never left beta, and it only worked twice for me over the course of four months. ReadItToMe is amazing. Seriously, angels sing, sunlight breaks through the clouds, and all that.

I don't mean to shill for an app here, but it has been an excellent solution to the problem I first posted about months ago.

The marshmallow update, along with ReadItToMe, has allowed me to be very productive while driving. The best thing about the app is how much control it gives me over which apps I want to use hands-free with while driving. The options are almost a bit overwhelming (almost). I can reply to texts, emails, and more.

The coolest (and simplest) thing about the app is how it can be set to Always On, turn on when plugged into your car's audio jack, or turn on when detecting Bluetooth 1, Bluetooth 2, etc. Using the different Bluetooth profiles (one for when I am home, one for when I am in the car, one for work) has basically returned my phone to knowing when I'm working, driving, or relaxing. So, basically, I have what Moto Assist used to give me--maybe a bit more.

simeonivan
Paper Tape
Views: 7,544
Message 8 of 15

Don't think it has got anything to do with cost cutting. I used a Mote E(1st Gen), it had all the above options which you mentioned in Moto Assist, it was just awesome. The latest G4 Plus does not have any of those options, inspite of 3 years advanced from that and @ double the cost.

Dick21
Paper Tape
Views: 2,852
Message 9 of 15

Can you advise which new moto phone supports drive assist? I'm looking for a new phone.

Philadelphia
Paper Tape
Views: 2,817
Message 10 of 15

So, Dick21, the bad news is I don't know if "drive assist" is around any more. The good news is there are plenty of apps that recreate the Moto Assist "Drive" setting fairly well--if not better. Check out this link:

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-driving-apps-android-793566/

Even if you don't use any of the the apps mentioned in this article, the latest Android versions do a fairly good job of recognizing voice commands, so it's much easier to ask your phone to read text messages aloud--and respond to them without using your hands at all--then it was even just two years ago.

For example:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3094831/android/ok-google-160-valuable-voice-commands-for-andr...

I've also noticed that the "OK Google" commands seem to get better every few months. Experiment with different instructions and see what you get.

Good luck!

M