Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G 3rd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

09-19-2016

United States of America

15 Signins

173 Page Views

• Views: 173
  • Message 1 of 4

Hands Free Voice Activated Outgoing calls using names from Contacts List?

2017-03-10, 17:57 PM

When I am in my car, I would like to be able to make Outgoing calls without looking at/touching or fooling around with the phone (with the idea of NOT running over school children).  I would like to say something like "Hey phone! Call Phil Jones at home," and it would look for Phil Jones in my contact list and, assuming it could find a Phil Jones, then dial his Work number.  And I could converse with Phil using either bluetooth or the speaker on the phone.  Is there anything that does that (and using OS 5.1.1 - I don't want to upgrade to Marshmallow...had a problem with the prior phone suddenly not recognizing the SD card and that seems like it may be Marshmallow related).  Thanks for any help!  

Answer
Options

13 Posts

09-19-2016

United States of America

15 Signins

173 Page Views

Re: Hands Free Voice Activated Outgoing calls using names from Contacts List?

2017-03-10, 20:58 PM

If the phone is unlocked (not asleep), and I am NOT in a browser, when I say "Ok Google," it responds and a google bar with a microphone comes up.  WOW!  I added "Call Phil" and it FOUND him and asked if I wanted to call work or home phone.  This is majorly cool. So... um... thanks!  

I may just have to disable it from going to sleep/being locked, or maybe change the amount of time it takes to do that from a couple of minutes to, say a half hour or so.  That's probably in some setting I can find.  Anyway, it WORKS!  

Replies(3)
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 4

2017-03-10, 19:18 PM

wrote:

When I am in my car, I would like to be able to make Outgoing calls without looking at/touching or fooling around with the phone (with the idea of NOT running over school children).  I would like to say something like "Hey phone! Call Phil Jones at home," and it would look for Phil Jones in my contact list and, assuming it could find a Phil Jones, then dial his Work number.  And I could converse with Phil using either bluetooth or the speaker on the phone.  Is there anything that does that (and using OS 5.1.1 - I don't want to upgrade to Marshmallow...had a problem with the prior phone suddenly not recognizing the SD card and that seems like it may be Marshmallow related).  Thanks for any help!  

I don't think the G3 has an always listening feature. Most phones require some kind of button press - if your car has BT or you are using a hands free headset, you can usually push the talk button, and then say "dial phil at work"

Some phones with Moto Voice or Google voice will activate from any screen by saying "OK google" or similar, but I don't think the G3 does this.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Answer
Options

13 Posts

09-19-2016

United States of America

15 Signins

173 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2017-03-10, 20:58 PM

If the phone is unlocked (not asleep), and I am NOT in a browser, when I say "Ok Google," it responds and a google bar with a microphone comes up.  WOW!  I added "Call Phil" and it FOUND him and asked if I wanted to call work or home phone.  This is majorly cool. So... um... thanks!  

I may just have to disable it from going to sleep/being locked, or maybe change the amount of time it takes to do that from a couple of minutes to, say a half hour or so.  That's probably in some setting I can find.  Anyway, it WORKS!  

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 4 of 4

2017-03-11, 3:44 AM

If you have settings for ok Google and voice, there is an option to listen on any screen. If this can be turned on, you should only have to tap the power button to wake the screen. If you set screen timeout for 30 minutes you will not be happy with battery life likely.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms