Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankrizzo
What's DOS?
Views: 273
Message 1 of 6

Is it Verizon or Motorola that decides?

I've read lots of great reviews on the 3rd gen Moto G, and I really want to buy one unlocked so I can add it to my Verizon account.  Looking at the Verizon line of the provider compatibility chart on motorola.com though it shows that I can buy a Moto X unlocked but a Moto G is showing as "through carrier" (i.e., I have to buy it from Verizon).  Soooo, my question is, if I can buy an unlocked Moto X but NOT a Moto G to put on the Verizon network, is it Motorola's decision to not include the right LTE bands (I'm ASSuming that's the "compatibility" difference) or is it Verizon saying, "we don't want to allow a feature-rich cheap android phone on our network unless we sell it..." ?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is it Verizon or Motorola that decides?

To me, I think that it behooves Motorola to pitch EVERYTHING at the carriers.  What the carriers actually decide to buy is another story altogether....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
koolade2
Token Ring
Message 3 of 6

I need to replace my sons first generation Moto X as it has cracked screen and it will be over 100 dollars to replace with the warranty plan.  For a few dollars more the G looks real good.  Not if I can't activate on Verizon.  Where did you see that info that Verizon only took the X and not the G unlocked.

frankrizzo
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

You can see the compatibility chart here:

http://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-no-contract-unlocked.html

the chart also shows that you can get a Nexus6 ($$$$) along with the Moto X ($$$) but the Moto G ($) is listed as "through carrier"...   almost seems like a scam that you're forced to buy an expensive phone if you want to use Verizon service.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 6

I don't see how it's a scam.  My guess is that, in lieu of contracts, at least with some phones, you'll have the opportunity to pay the phone off monthly.  With Verizon, that will most probably be a Droid model.  TMo is offering an iPhone for life for $15 a month.  On a two-year contract, the purchase price wasn't really "subsidized."  It was more like a down payment, and the rest was made up on your monthly charges, even if it was never stated that way.  That's what the early termination fee was designed to do: pay the company back for the balance of the phone.  At least this way, the choice of a carrier remains open, and we can change at any time.  

The cell phone industry is changing.  I have a feeling that we ain't seen nothin' yet.   ;-)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 6

Verizon still requires CDMA radios - you could use an unlocked G on VZW, but you will not have service in some areas. That is mostly the reason I think for the "through the carrier" requirement. 

You could just switch to T-mobile, AT&T or some other GSM carrier - bring your own phone then, and not worry about what Verizon requires. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Top Kudoed Authors