Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jaydo
Paper Tape
Views: 9,004
Message 1 of 24

Issues with unstable storage space

I have a problem with some missing internal storage. I only had a few apps installed but the phone kept telling me I was out space. So I factory-reset the phone recently and did a fresh update of the standard google apps and installed a few of my other apps. When I look in "internal torage", at the top it says, "2.83 Gb used of 4,54 GB," but if I count up the folder sizes shown underneath then I do not end up with the same amount. At first, the total given was higher then the sum of the folder sizes. Then I installed a satnav map and now the Apps folder is 3.01 GB but the total still shows 2.83 GB.

What is going on?

By the way, after the factory reset the phone reports that Android 6.0 takes up 3.46 GB. I asked in the Android forums and they say this may be normal. Is it?

ajh158
What's DOS?
Views: 8,970
Message 2 of 24

Re: Issues with unstable storage space

I have a similar problem, but in my case the gap is a bit more extreme.

I have an 8GB Moto G3 on Marshmallow with a 32GB SD Card mounted as adoptable internal storage.

I move everything I can to SD card but still keep running out of internal storage space.

Android OS is listed as 3.47 GB, Internal Storage is listed as 4.01 GB used of 4.53 GB.

3.47 GB + 4.53 GB = 8.0 GB, which seems right.

However, if I tap on Internal Storage to look at what is using the 4.01 GB, I see:

Apps 1.71 GB, Cached data 32.86 MB

1.71 GB + 32.86 MB = ~1.74 GB

4.01 GB - ~1.74 GB = ~2.27 GB

What is using the other ~2.27 GB?!

ajh158
What's DOS?
Views: 8,963
Message 3 of 24

P.S. I also posted about this on /r/AndroidQuestions but wasn't able to resolve it with any of the input from there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/4az9qa/2gb453gb_of_internal_storage_mysteriously/
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,933
Message 4 of 24

The amount used by android is normal. 

The space not shown is in system areas that are not readable.  Other disk usage apps do a better job of showing storage space used, but the number you see reported by android is correct.  

Disk usage, Nodescope,  storage analyzer, will all show you a better view, and you can see missing space is in system files.  

It is hard to install many apps on an 8gb phone.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Jaydo
Paper Tape
Views: 8,850
Message 5 of 24

Ok, so essentially that reporting window just does not work very well. Alright, but then ehm...I hope an app can help me get rid of the extra space in the not readable areas.

I end up with a strange situation where I delete pretty much everything I can think of and yet the phone still tells me that I am almost out of space. I feel like there is a hidden temp folder somewhere (like in Windows) that never gets emptied.

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 8,689
Message 6 of 24

Not a Solution.

I have 8GB

8.0 GB total space

-3.5 OS

=4.5 GB internal left

-1.5 GB apps

=0.5 GB left????

I should now have 2GB left of internal space (minus 1.5mb of cache) Where is the missing 2GB? I know its in the data folder, however I can't access it unless I root my device.  Can I root without voiding warranty?  How do I root?  Why do I have to do that anyways?  Or is there a specific file explore app that will allow me to access that 2GB data and delete it so I can use my phone instead of throwing it at the wall and going back to Samsung?  After that, my next problem will be actually using the SD card as Internal storage first, so I don't have this issue again, but one thing at a time.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,674
Message 7 of 24

@jaggedman wrote:

Not a Solution.

I have 8GB

8.0 GB total space

-3.5 OS

=4.5 GB internal left

-1.5 GB apps

=0.5 GB left????

I should now have 2GB left of internal space (minus 1.5mb of cache) Where is the missing 2GB? I know its in the data folder, however I can't access it unless I root my device.  Can I root without voiding warranty?  How do I root?  Why do I have to do that anyways?  Or is there a specific file explore app that will allow me to access that 2GB data and delete it so I can use my phone instead of throwing it at the wall and going back to Samsung?  After that, my next problem will be actually using the SD card as Internal storage first, so I don't have this issue again, but one thing at a time.

You can't root without voiding warranty, and the forums don't permit this discussion.  The space is taken up by system files the storage manager has no access too. Also, SMS, email, pictures and video could have lots of files taking up space.  

An 8gb Samsung phone will have the same issue. The real solution is a phone with more internal space, or less apps. 

Here is a link to using SD CARD https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-X-Play/Guide-to-using-your-SD-Card-on-Marshmallow/td-p/3301578/jum...

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 8,667
Message 8 of 24

Then why have the 2GB available at all?  It should be auto included into the 3.5 taken by OS. Or at least represented somehow so I know what it is and why I can't remove it.

I know 8GB isn't enough, thats why I purchased a Motorola phone with SD slot.  If the SD card worked properly as internal storage I wouldn't have this problem.  It doesn't, so I do.  Is your final answer that I need a different phone if I want more than 8 apps on mine?

My wife's 16GB samsung does not have this problem.  I can account for all 16GB on it.  No missing 2GB anywhere.  It has many more texts and emails than mine ever would.  Same with the other Samsung.  They both utilize SD cards better than my Moto G as well.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,661
Message 9 of 24

I can't answer what you may need as everyone has different requirements, or why Samsung is different.  Others are finding Android's new internal adopted storage (under Marshmallow) works for expanding internal storage. But, there is still no substitute for purchasing a phone with more internal storage then initially needed. 

Have you seen the post on using SDcard as internal storage for apps?

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 8,655
Message 10 of 24

Using SD card as internal storage is not the problem I was trying to solve here.  The missing 2GB is what I'm trying to solve.  I got the phone end of March and had the SD card as internal before it even had service.  Your previous hyperlink didn't really provide me any information I didn't know before April.  I have 1.03GB used by apps on my phone, 0.17GB apps on SD card.      Phone has, not counting system apps:

Android System WebView; Audio Effects; Avast Mobile Security; Calculator; Calendar; Camera; chargin-related noise suppression; Chrome; Clock; Cloud Print; Contacts; CQATest; Downloads; Drive; Emergency Alerts; FM Radio; Gallery; Gmail; Google App; Google Keyboard; Google Now Launcher; Google Pinyin Input; Google Play Movies & TV; Google Play Music; Google Play services; Google Play Store; Google Text-to-speech Engine; Google+; Hangouts; Help; Humble Bundle; Maps; Messaging; Messenger; Moto; NativeDropBoxAgent; Outlook; Phone; Photos; Settings; SIM Toolkit; TalkBack; YouTube

Of those, Avast, Humble Bundle, Messenger, and Outlook are the only ones I have put on the phone myself.  None of them can be moved to SD card.  All my other chosen apps (6 total currently) are on the SD card.  I have cleared cache on every app I'm allowed to.  I have cleared data on almost every app, got a little over zealous on this as now I have to redo ringtones/notifications and some other personalizations.  I have 19 total texts across 3 different contacts, no MMS, just text.  Most of them under 40/50 characters.

My 16GB samsung I can account for every byte and it has 8.82GB free, no SD card in it.  My 16GB tablet, all accounted for, with 4.21GB free, no SD card in it most times as they spring out unexpectedly.  I use the tablet daily, have used SD card for about 9 days in the last 6 months.  I gave the Nexus tab to kid cause it didn't have SD slot and no data plan so no streaming unless near free wi-fi when I travel.  Perhaps you can see why I might think an 8GB phone with 32GB SD card would work fine for me.  If I could access this mystery 2 GB I'm sure the phone would work great; it was before I discovered the issue.  Well, the internal SD card isn't working as I think its supposed to, but one thing at a time.