Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,591
Message 11 of 24

Re: Issues with unstable storage space

If you download the app disk usage it will show the extra space is used by "system data" but it is not accessible to determine more then that. 

I assume that the partitions may be divided that way, but I don't know for sure. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,589
Message 12 of 24

DiskUsage by Ivan Volosyuk didn't tell me anything new.  It shows me that I have 1GB apps, 1.5GB free space.  It doesn't hint at where the missing 2GB is.

So I have a stock brand new 8 GB Moto G3.  That means before I do anything with it, I have about 1.7GB of free space correct?  Realistically its closer to 1.2GB since you need 0.5GB free to keep things running.

I spent a few days researching phones before purchasing a Moto G3 and calculated about 2.5-3.5GB free space( 3.5-4 OS, 1-1.5 forced apps, I forgot the .5free).  Had I known an 8GB phone meant I could use 1 GB then I would not have purchased it.

I have to ask now, had I purchased a 16GB Moto G3 would it be missing 2GB, or 4GB?

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,571
Message 13 of 24

Factory Reset took 35 minutes and now I have 1.48 GB used of 4.53 GB

0.787 GB apps

0.002 GB cached data

And for every bit added as phone updates back to current its puts 2 bits into storage for some reason.

So I think I've answered my question about the 16GB and missing space.  

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,563
Message 14 of 24

Its done auto updating the phone.  I havn't put anything on it except Humble Bundle, Netflix and Pandora.  I let it update the pre loaded apps (foreware/bloatware whatever).  It now shows:

2.09 GB used of

4.53 GB

by

1.01 GB apps

0.001 GB cached data

Wait, I touched a button, now its 2.11 used, 1.03 by apps, 0.001 by cache.  Is this a warranty issue then or working as intended?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,546
Message 15 of 24

This is working as intended. Others have compared storage use, and yours is inline with theirs.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,540
Message 16 of 24

That means I could utilize about 5GB of a 16GB phone, and 13GB of a 32GB phone.  How does the company even advertise legally.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,536
Message 17 of 24

@jaggedman wrote:

That means I could utilize about 5GB of a 16GB phone, and 13GB of a 32GB phone.  How does the company even advertise legally.

No, I was referring to the 8gb phone. If you review posts of others with 16gb and 32 gb phones, the number is not linear as you predict. 

I have 16gb and 32gb motorola X and they are not as you describe.

And manufacturers advertise the amount of total storage, because usable space can change based on OS. My 16gb 11.88GB total,  and my 32gb shows 26.3GB available - both then lose another  1.5 - 2gb to system data.

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,533
Message 18 of 24

That makes no sense, unless you simply have no idea what my problem is.

I download a 1MB test file onto phone, and I lose 2MB of space.  Is this how a Moto G3 is supposed to work?  Or just a Moto G3 8GB?

See, if I was only losing about 5GB as you are on your Xs then I wouldn't be having this issue.  I am effectively losing 7GB of my storage.  Even that isn't quite accurate as I can really only put at best about 0.9GB on my phone.

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,261
Message 19 of 24

After the third reset it was only off by about 200MB (0.98GB used, 0.77GB accounted for), until I formatted the SD card as Internal after no major change in the spread.  I only had my Google account and pandora on phone at this time, didn't let it update anything at all.  After SD format it went from 1.15 to 1.22GB used and only 0.73GB accounted for, moved about 20MB to the SD card.

Just re-formatted SD as internal again and SD now shows 44MB used, but only moved 64KB from phone to it.  Phone went down to 1.19.

I will factory reset again after I empty a variety of SD card types/brands and see how it functions with/without them while using Storage Truth by scary alien & EarlyMon.

jaggedman
Punch Card
Views: 3,197
Message 20 of 24

SD card as internal storage is pointless.  Can't move enough apps/data to the card and it seems to make the undeletable data grow quicker.  Without an SD card for 5 days and just using text, pandora, amazon music, google maps and search a few times and already have about 640MB of data I can't do anything about and it keeps growing.  If only I could remove it without rooting or factory reset.

Best solution:  no more motorola phones, xda-developers and a good ROM.