Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMOTO G 3rd Gen
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-10-2016

Canada

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 9

Marshmallow battery drain - wifi

2016-08-10, 14:17 PM

Phone: Moto G3

Since andriod 6 installed (really since new, so no experience with 5), battery drain due to wifi even though wifi is off.

Scenario:

-I have an app controlling wifi on/off (Smart Wifi Toggler).

-on a full charge, battery says I have 20 hours or so.  From battery, I touch the graph for more detail and it shows wifi as taking resources, but wifi is off and scanning in Location is set to off for both wifi and bluetooth.

- if I let this go on, battery will be very low by the end of the day (I don't use my phone that much).

- I check the app and it is not starting wifi at any point, so I don't think that is the source of the problem.

Temp workaround:

- if I turn my phone off and leave it off for a minute or two, my battery duration estimate will slowly increase and when I get details from the graph, the wifi section will be empty.

- this solution, will only last for the day, and next day I have to do the same routine.

Very annoying, some process must be dying in the background...

Options

858 Posts

10-08-2015

Canada

998 Signins

5947 Page Views

• Views: 5947
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Marshmallow battery drain - wifi

2016-08-10, 16:49 PM

I've been using Marshmallow v6.0 for a couple of months & experience no WiFi battery drain on my G3. So it makes me think that it may not be a v6 OS specific problem?

Have you tested to see if that WiFi "Smart? Toggler" app is actually the problem? Have you checked the app permissions & turned off or on relevant permissions? Have you tried removing that, maybe not so smart WiFi app, from your device, reboot & then see if you still have the battery drain over the next couple of days?

Also check this previous thread that I just read on this forum (you can search the forum for other threads):

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-G-3rd-Gen/Moto-g3-India-6-0-WiFi-battery-drain/m-p/3192594

Next thing to check would be other apps that YOU have installed, again first check app PERMISSIONS & SETTINGS for every single app that you have installed & turn off battery draining permissions etc. If this doesn't help, then again, of the apps that YOU have installed, remove one app at a time & see which removed app over a couple of days per app, stops the battery drain? No faster way that I know of to troubleshoot this, but it is very often user installed app error vs. the device out of the box be the problem, as this doesn't appear to be a G3 v6 OS common problem vs. a settings or per app problem. Be very carerful of 3rd party apps, especially if "free".

Also, you may not even need that WiFi Smart Toggler app for quick access to turning WiFi On & Off. From the User Guide for your device, which I just read over for you, it points out several ways to gain quick access. One way is to swipe down from the top for notifications, but to use 2 fingers & that instantly opens up Quick Access to thing like WiFi, then press WiFi for On or Off. Maybe one more step than your other app (which may be always running to be ready to turn WiFi on or off, thus perhaps using up the battery?).

Another & maybe slightly faster way to gain WiFi On/Off, again from my just now reading of the User Guide (which is also accessed via the Help App on your device but needs data connection or WiFi or can be downloaded from Motorola.com & saved to your Downloads folder) & then my testing it out for you just a few minutes ago; is to make a WiFi On/Off  Widget for your Home Screen. First read the User Guide or Help App on how to use & make Widgets, then scroll down to the Settings Widget & place this widget onto your display as per widget instructions. As soon as you do that, another Menu of a full page of settings will appear. You can make a Widget of any of these settings. So, scroll down to the bottom of the list & select WiFi & then that will become an On / Off WiFi button on your display. Press once for WiFi & choose your WiFi network from the list & or just press the On button. Press again for the OFF button or to change WiFi networks.  As well, if you explore the 3 vertical dots at the top right of your WiFi Settings, then you can further fine tune your WiFi settings if needed with more options. WiFi scanning sounds like it is a common battery drain & if you have lots of WiFi spots in your area, then this setting may be making your device work overtime?

Let us know what helps you solve your problem?

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2016

Canada

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2016-08-10, 18:07 PM

Thank you kindly for that detailed response.  I don't believe the wifi toggler is the problem, as far as I recall, I did remove it and it made no difference.  I'll try again maybe just to be sure.  I hate doing it manually because I always forget to turn wifi back on at home and then I end up killing my data plan (which sucks).

I have very few apps and most are the major players - FB, LinkedIn, Spotify just a couple of others.... I'm not a power user by any stretch.  Only other meh app I have is one called Netguard which sends your data through a VPN so you can control apps that suck up your data (that I don't have much of).

I first ran into trouble after the update.  battery life was REALLY bad.  I reset the phone to rebuild from scratch and that fixed much, but not all.  Through all of this, I've rebuilt the phone a bunch of times which is a pain.  I thought that was fixing it until I found powering off fixed it.

Nice to hear you are not having the problem, so there should be a solution... I will start with removing the toggler and move on from there.

best regards

P

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2016

Canada

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2016-08-15, 13:37 PM

So I am now running basically a vanilla phone.  I have all apps removed except for google Inbox.  The problem still happens.  When I start up for the day, the phone says it has about 18 hours remaining, which although that doesn't seem too bad, I find unacceptable for a lightly used phone.  When I touch the battery chart, it always shows 'wifi' as being active even though wifi is manually turned off and scanning is disabled.  Once I do the restart (and change nothing else), the 'wifi' part goes away, and the battery life  will increase to usually at least 1.5 days or so... depends on the usage of course.

I have done multiple rebuilds of the phone with no real effect, so not doing that anymore (and it shouldn't be necessary).

At any rate, as far as I'm concerned this is either a marshmallow problem or Lenovo problem.  I'll have to continue restarting in the morning after charging if I want decent battery life. ahhhhhh  well... just ditched my iPhone for this, so a little disappointing, but maybe it'll be fixed in subsequent releases.

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2015

Pakistan

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 5 of 9

2016-08-24, 18:07 PM

Hi, I had (and still have) the MM wifi battery drain bug but I found a workaround that works really well most of the time. So  I did a lot of experiments to determine what exactly caused the drain to start and I found out that the drain starts right  after one of manually turning off wifi or right after then turning on the Wifi (i dont remember which one exactly). Just leave wifi on, even when you dont have wifi signals.

If you do have to manually turn off and turn on wifi, you'll need to restart phone  after turning on wifi. This workaround may or may not work for you, but it kinda solved the issue for me. The problem starts when  I need to switch  off wifi to switch to cellular data at times. 

Oh, and I also reinstalled MM. 

Options

5 Posts

08-10-2016

Canada

5 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2016-08-24, 19:26 PM

Thankyou .... an interesting observation.... I will try to duplicate with my device. 

Hopefully, android 7 (N) will be ready soon for our devices and it might fix this problem.

Options

858 Posts

10-08-2015

Canada

998 Signins

5947 Page Views

• Views: 5947
  • Message 7 of 9

2016-08-24, 20:58 PM

Reading about Android v6+ is supposed to greatly reduce battery drain & WiFi & Bluetooth being left on, supposedly also no longer drains the battery.  I don't seem to have a battery drain problem with WiFi On or Off. But besides an internal problem if both of our devices are the same, then it "should" be an app setting problem, such as a email app that is trying to check for email really often, an app like Farcebook other social sheople app looking for a connection or IME with cheap friends, using apps that are free but Ad driven, so that the Ads keep probing the WiFi connection in order to activate Ads.

I had 2 friends using new Moto E's & they both had battery drain problems until I removed all the free crapware apps that they installed & then I went through all their apps to lower WiFi polling & restricted App permissions where suitable & disabled their unused social media apps. I also scanned their devices for malware etc., but nothing was found.Their rebooting & battery drain problems disappeared after removing the adware apps. Both had v6 OS as does my G3.

Hope you can figure it out as being a user, app or permission setting.

Options

9 Posts

11-05-2015

Pakistan

4 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 8 of 9

2016-08-25, 8:03 AM

Its not an app issue, battery drain only starts after I manually turn off and then turn on wifi again. It stops when I restart phone.

Happened even when I reinstalled MM, even without any apps.

Options

1 Posts

03-06-2017

India

7 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 9 of 9

2017-03-11, 13:25 PM

Hi, 

Wi-Fi without turning it on is taking too substantial amount of battery in moto g3 india. Earlier I had 6.0 in Moto G3,then it was upgraded to 6.0.1 but in both versions, this bug was present. Under location, I hav already turned off wifi scanning, underbwifi also i have selected already to never keep phone awake. I have reset cache also from recovery, have also factory reset. After doing factory reset it works well for few days, then again d same bug comes. So, I have left no other solution just to reset phone after evry few days. Moto Guys, Plz listen.. U need to seriously look into it. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms