Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdw202x
Punch Card
Views: 12,001
Message 1 of 66

Marshmallow update; battery draining

Yesterday morning I received the marshmallow update and went from 5.1 (or 5.11?) to 6.0.

I've noticed changes-- most of which are minor, but the one that concerns me the most is how quickly the battery drains.

I'm not a power user; I will talk on the phone, send a few texts and check a few things on the internet.  Just to give an idea--usually, I can last three or four days on a single battery charge.

However, since upgrading to 6.0, in the day and a half, my phone is almost drained three times.  One was at work yesterday; once after I went home and charged (but before bed) and then today at work.  Each time I started out with 9X%-100% battery.  In fact, as I type this, the battery is at exactly 16%.

Nothing except the installation has changed: no heavier usage of the phone; the location I have it is exactly the same; I live in the same house, in the same neighborhood, no unusual weather, etc.  I have not installed any new apps, nor deleted or disabled any; as mentioned, the only change was to install android 6.0.

Does anyone have any insight or feedback?  I believe the rollout is new in the US (I'm in DC), but wonder if others have any input.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 11,940
Message 2 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

Upgrades the ruin battery do happen. First option, reboot the phone and see if things get better. If so, some app was stuck. 

2nd option, reboot in safe mode and use for a while. If things get better, some app didn't upgrade well - solving which one is another issue.

3rd option, and it usually is required, is a full reset. You will lose all data that is not backed up. If you reset, do NOT auto-restore anything. Setup manually apps and settings. It will fix your issue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
gottarace83
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 66

I have the same battery drain issue. Phone use to last DAYS... now down to 58% in 8 hours and I was only on it to call and text fkids

FatherMystic
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 66

i updated my moto g 3ed last night to android 6 I've been trying to find a way to roll back to 5.1.1 all day. i would call myself a power user but I've had to charge it 3 times today for gods sake vs once a day on 5.1.1. that's insane. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 5 of 66

This is not typical behavior for Marshmallow.  Something on the phone not working properly is the most likely cause of the battery drain, although reduced battery performance is quite possible during the first week after an upgrade.

If you'd like to troubleshoot, upload your first battery screen, your second battery screen and report actual screen on time as reported by the battery app.

Fawkes1316
What's DOS?
Views: 11,941
Message 6 of 66

Same problem here... Battery started draining much faster.. And battery usage shows about 42% WiFi with 25% of battery left...then I really enjoyed the double chop feature that is very laggy now..although double twist seems to work fine...please provie an update for this issues...or please help me rollback to 5.1.1 which I was happier with...I was so excited about doze...and ended up with faster battery draining
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 66

Fawkes1316 said:

Same problem here... Battery started draining much faster.. And battery usage shows about 42% WiFi with 25% of battery left...then I really enjoyed the double chop feature that is very laggy now..although double twist seems to work fine...please provie an update for this issues...or please help me rollback to 5.1.1 which I was happier with...I was so excited about doze...and ended up with faster battery drainingView original

The battery drain problems can be fixed if you care to provide the data requested. There is no rollback to 5.1.1. You can help us help you, if you choose too. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
FatherMystic
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 66

crystallet said:

upload your first battery screen, your second battery screen and report actual screen on time as reported by the battery app.

see problem with that the battery screen resets with each full charge so the first and second battery screens are gone and not coming back as far as i can tell. i'll see how the performance goes today and post again when i get any usful info

gottarace83
Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 66

you will have to guide me through this. the phone is only 2 weeks old. loved the 1 week and now HATE it.... battery is crap now and all kind of bugs, SD card can't be seen. want to go back......

Fawkes1316
What's DOS?
Views: 11,938
Message 10 of 66

please explain step by step.

1. how and where to upload battery screen?

2. how do I get a battery screen?