Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdw202x
Punch Card
Views: 2,754
Message 11 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

AlphaDog:

Thank you for your suggestions.  The battery did drain last night and then I let it fully charge, powered off, last night until it was 100%. 

(Should you need it- I started charging about 7.45pm last night- when I woke up this morning around 6am, it was fully charged.  I used the non-USB charger that came with the phone.  I did check periodically on how full the battery was and it seemed to be charging very slowly-- although I didn't make a note of it, I seemed to recall that around 10.30pm it was 35% full, but I can't swear to that.) 

AlphaDog and crystallet,

I am not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've included screenshots of the battery since I turned on the phone this morning.  I have not plugged it in at all, and have treated the phone like I always do.  The screenshots show the time stamp in the corner; there are a total of five screens.

Finally, in response to AlphaDog's suggestion about a full reset (and others' desire to roll back)-- If a full/factory reset (are these the same) is done, will it change back to the 5.1 that originally came on this phone or will it change/reset to 6.0?  If it does go to 5.1, is there a way to do the one upgrade I received between purchasing (5.1) and 6.0, but without going all the way to 6.0??  (I am guessing it was the stagefright update, but can't recall exactly.  I realize this could be a new thread, so if we need to branch off, we can.)

cdw202x
Punch Card
Message 12 of 66

In looking at the shots I posted above, the 'Screen' feature is taking up the most percentage.  I have not changed this and the DISPLAY menu still shows that the phone is turned 'on' for Adaptive Brightness- something I've never turned off since purchasing the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 13 of 66

cdw202x said:

In looking at the shots I posted above, the 'Screen' feature is taking up the most percentage.  I have not changed this and the DISPLAY menu still shows that the phone is turned 'on' for Adaptive Brightness- something I've never turned off since purchasing the phone.

View original

2 more things to add - tap the screen bar/word and that will tell us screen on time. Also, tap the graph and give us that screenshot - it should be a more detailed graph with outer bars below. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 14 of 66

Anyone else that wants to provide battery stats, pull the notification bar down, then tap on the battery icon at the very top. This will give us the graph as pictured above. 2nd graph, not shown, is found tapping on the graph you do see, it brings to another battery stats page, with cell signal, wifi, wake, etc. 

To take a screen shot, press power and volume down at same time. To upload to the forum, there is an upload image/choose file button below this text box. 

Provide a screenshot of the 2 different graphs - you may have to create 2 different posts, or use some app to combine the pictures into one.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
cdw202x
Punch Card
Message 15 of 66

AlphaDog, I believe this is what you're looking for.  Let me know anything else you may need or any questions.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,753
Message 16 of 66

cdw202x said:

AlphaDog, I believe this is what you're looking for.  Let me know anything else you may need or any questions.

View original

Yes,

OK - so dissecting what you have provided. Your phone shows about 25% battery used after being on for 5 hours - your first picture is at 6:48. but we can see that your phone came off the charger before 6. 

Your screen usage is the #1 battery drain, and it shows 1:44 screen on time for that 25% battery drain. If we extrapolate that out, you would get 416 minutes of SOT (screen on time) - that is almost 7 hours. 

Your network signal is mostly good. Your awake time matches up with your screen on time mostly - that is good.

Everything you provide shows your phone working quite well, and as expected. Your current rate of use gives you another 15 hours of usage if you keep using your screen as much as you do. That number will adjust if you use the screen less, and the prediction will get further out. 

The only things you could change - lower screen brightness as that is the battery drain, and if you are not in wifi areas, turn off wifi. 

I see nothing wrong - if you have rebooted since your problems occurred, you may have killed whatever was causing the initial problem. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 17 of 66

A factory data reset will not bring you back to a previous version of the software.  It will always bring you back to a fresh version of the current operating system.

A couple of things: when Screen is the top battery user, the phone is typically operating normally.  In this case, we can see that between 6:00 when the graph begins and 11:40 (5 hours, 40 minutes), the screen was on for 1 hour and 44 minutes.

Image heavy apps (lots of downloading) make the phone work hard.  Averaging it out, you used about 5% per hour.  Even so, based upon that same moderate to heavy usage (in other words, to be conservative, another 4 hours of screen time), the phone estimates another 15 hours of battery power.  That's really good performance.

Compare your Awake line to your Screen on line, and you'll see they match up almost perfectly.  That means there are no runaway apps on your phone keeping it awake when you're not using it.

I honestly don't see a problem here, but there could be something I'm missing.

cdw202x
Punch Card
Message 18 of 66

Okay-- thanks all for the input.  Let's see how this plays out and hope everything is fine!

Fawkes1316
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 66

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhT0s2SzlQZWdScDA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhYzY4dFNYT2NUeTg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhUEhKV3BwbURHeFU/view?usp=sharing

i didnt use wifi almost at all since i recharged my phone...and it shows so much drain....i also miss a normal cellular data on/off switch...also the double chop moto feature is not working properly with marshmallow...i regret i updated...please help....

exactly same thing happens with my mom s phone...which is a 1gb ram model...she doesnt use wifi at all... and i get same picture on battery usage

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 20 of 66

Fawkes1316 said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhT0s2SzlQZWdScDA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhYzY4dFNYT2NUeTg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_53r7dyuSrhUEhKV3BwbURHeFU/view?usp=sharing

i didnt use wifi almost at all since i recharged my phone...and it shows so much drain....i also miss a normal cellular data on/off switch...also the double chop moto feature is not working properly with marshmallow...i regret i updated...please help....

exactly same thing happens with my mom s phone...which is a 1gb ram model...she doesnt use wifi at all... and i get same picture on battery usage

View original

Can you tap on the graph? you will get a new graph, with some bars below it. Please provide that screen shot as well. 

Have you rebooted the phone since this started? Is wifi on at all?