cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Charles124
What's DOS?
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-05-2016
Views: 1,027
Message 51 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining


OK, here is another update. Yesterday, I turned it off safe mode and it only went down to about 60% after using it for  about 12 hours. However, today, when I took it to work, large battery drain. Check out the signal strength issue. Could that be what is causing this?


 


crystallet said:


You get the screen on time by tapping the word Screen on the first battery page.



The phone has been on for 13 hours, and you still have 22 hours left.  Can you tell us what you did during this time period?


View original


 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 12,467
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,027
Message 52 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

I'd like you to clear your battery stats because I see things, and then I don't see them.



Before you go to sleep tonight, hold the Power key until the screen goes black and then release it.  This will take about 7 seconds and the phone will reboot on its own when you release the Power key.



Now plug it in with the charger that came in the box and let it charge overnight.  Just use it tomorrow as you normally would, and tomorrow evening, upload new screenshots.



Yes, your bad signal could be contributing, but something seems a little strange.  Hoping it's not e-Rewards, although you can use that on a computer.

Charles124
What's DOS?
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-05-2016
Views: 1,027
Message 53 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

OK, got up at 5 AM and it didn't make it to this evening. Went ahead and took the pictures before it dropped below 25%. Here they are. Time on screed was 35 M and 57 S.



 


 


crystallet said:


I'd like you to clear your battery stats because I see things, and then I don't see them.



Before you go to sleep tonight, hold the Power key until the screen goes black and then release it.  This will take about 7 seconds and the phone will reboot on its own when you release the Power key.



Now plug it in with the charger that came in the box and let it charge overnight.  Just use it tomorrow as you normally would, and tomorrow evening, upload new screenshots.



Yes, your bad signal could be contributing, but something seems a little strange.  Hoping it's not e-Rewards, although you can use that on a computer.


View original


 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,233
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,027
Message 54 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

From what I see your signal - from 8am until noon is poor. That is when your battery lost about 50% of its charge. I have worked in buildings that did this to my battery life - usually thick concrete. If this is the cause, there is nothing you can do but charge your phone while at this location. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Charles124
What's DOS?
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-05-2016
Views: 1,027
Message 55 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining


OK, I did a test yesterday and put the phone on airplane mode at work from
8 AM to 5 PM. It was at 88%. So, it seems this is a signal issue. Sounds
like the best option it to get another charger. Thanks for everyone's help.
Happy to take more comments if needed.
Indraneel_M
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-15-2015
Location: India
Views: 1,027
Message 56 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

Since upgrading to marshmallow, I have been observing this intermittent issue of significant battery usage due to Wifi even if Wifi was OFF. This problem usually goes away after a phone restart but I have noticed that it usually resurfaces back after I do app updates from Play store .It is to be noted that the issue does not come back after EVERY update but I am yet to figure out if its after updating certain specific app only.Coming to my phone settings,  Wi-fi scanning for location is always off and I have kept "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never".



Attaching battery stat and Wifi usage screenshots of my phone taken at 13:50 and 16:42 timestamps today(I have merged 6 screenshots into one file, 3 each for the 2 timestamps).Though the battery shows only 2% usage between the 2 readings (the phone was almost entirely kept idle during this period with no calls made/received) , what is BAFFLING me is the steady increase in "Computed power usage" of Wi Fi when its totally OFF (though running time shows same as expected). Suggestions/comments are most welcome.

jitendra10
Punch Card
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎11-19-2014
Location: IN
Views: 1,027
Message 57 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining


Indraneel_M said:


Since upgrading to marshmallow, I have been observing this intermittent issue of significant battery usage due to Wifi even if Wifi was OFF. This problem usually goes away after a phone restart but I have noticed that it usually resurfaces back after I do app updates from Play store .It is to be noted that the issue does not come back after EVERY update but I am yet to figure out if its after updating certain specific app only.Coming to my phone settings,  Wi-fi scanning for location is always off and I have kept "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never".



Attaching battery stat and Wifi usage screenshots of my phone taken at 13:50 and 16:42 timestamps today(I have merged 6 screenshots into one file, 3 each for the 2 timestamps).Though the battery shows only 2% usage between the 2 readings (the phone was almost entirely kept idle during this period with no calls made/received) , what is BAFFLING me is the steady increase in "Computed power usage" of Wi Fi when its totally OFF (though running time shows same as expected). Suggestions/comments are most welcome.


View original


Hi Indraneel_M,



The problem you posted is exactly same as mine and I was about to post it in the forum with similar screenshots like yours. I updated my G3 on 9th Jan and since then I'm getting these kinds of battery stats on my phone. Tried almost every possible fix/solution suggested over the Internet(specially from XDA Forums) but none of them worked for me. Recently, I booted my phone in safe mode, used it for some time and found that this problem was not happening under safe mode. I rebooted the phone to normal mode and the problem started again once I turned My Wifi On. Once again, I booted the phone in safe mode(just to make sure) and used the device for a few hours and thie 'Computed Power Use' under WiFI stats wasn't increasing at all. From this I came to the conclusion that some third party app might be the culprit. So, I removed a few apps that could cause this issue and now the problem seems to be solved. After enabling the WiFI scanning and using the WiFI on for long, WiFi is not even showing up in the battery stats and my Battery stats are back to normal. So, I suggest you to boot your phone in safe mode and see if any third party app is causing this issue or its something else.



Should you need this, I removed these apps - Truecaller, Truemessenger, Weather Timeline, Yahoo Aviate launcher and Oversleep? AMdroid Alarm Clock.

jitendra10
Punch Card
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎11-19-2014
Location: IN
Views: 1,027
Message 58 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

Update - This is really weird and strange, this issue has resurfaced once again is now happening in safe mode too. So, last night I decided to use the device in safe mode for a full day. At around 10.00PM, I rebooted the phone in safe mode and did a full charge until 11.30PM, unplugged the device and went to sleep. In the morning at around 8.00AM, I took some screenshots of the battery stats and everything was normal. At around 10.30AM after the phone was idle for around 2.30 hours, I took some screenshots again and started using it on WiFi in safe mode. Everything was normal till then. After using it for an hour I turned the phone's WiFi off and left it idle for a few minutes. When I came back, I turned the phone's WiFi on and started using it again. A few minutes later, when I looked at the battery stats I was surprised to see that the 'Computed power use' for WiFi has started increasing again and since then its increasing at the rate of 1mah per minute.



P.S. - Here, I want to mention that my Battery backup is unaffected by this WiFi issue.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 28,233
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: US
Views: 1,027
Message 59 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining

This has been a google issue for some time. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=188909



Google has it as a high priority... Not much else anyone can do. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
jitendra10
Punch Card
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎11-19-2014
Location: IN
Views: 1,027
Message 60 of 66

Re: Marshmallow update; battery draining


AlphaDog said:


This has been a google issue for some time. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=188909



Google has it as a high priority... Not much else anyone can do. 


View original


Thanks. So, its confirmed that this is the same Bug that is present since Marshmallow Developer Preview 3. Btw, I just wanted to know one more thing - How come only a handful of users are facing this issue? And AFAIK only a few of Moto G3 and G3 Turbo users are facing this issue and I didn't came across any G2 user who is facing this issue.