Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDeano
Paper Tape
Views: 1,460
Message 1 of 7

Marshmallow update has killed my Moto G 3G XT1541

Ever since my phone went through the Marshmallow update, it has essentially become unuseable. The SD card will not work as internal memory, the phone keeps locking up/restarting, and after several factory resets, removing/replacing the SD card, the phone is dying. I'm rather annoyed at all this as I had updated to the Moto G in December but it's almost a brick at this stage. Any suggestions? (I mean besides the obvious one of smashing it into a bazillion little bits and then buying an old candy bar phone that actualy can make calls/send texts.) I've replaced the battery in my 2nd gen iPod so I now have portable music, and charged the battery in my 12MP Nikon digital camera - so I can actually go back to 3 device tech and be quite happy.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,440
Message 2 of 7

Re: Marshmallow update has killed my Moto G 3G XT1541

I recommend a factory reset, disable auto restore, do NOT restore or install any apps, and use the SD card for portable (external) storage. 

If all works well like that (and it should) , then starting adding apps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MrDeano
Paper Tape
Views: 1,433
Message 3 of 7

Okay, then I can't download any apps as the internal memory is filled with bloatware. With the SD card as portable memory, I can't move any apps to the SD card. So essentially the phone had gone backwards in capability from lollipop to marshmallow? This makes no sense to me - can I return the phone to lollipop and make this marshmallow nightmare go away?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,428
Message 4 of 7

@MrDeano wrote:

Okay, then I can't download any apps as the internal memory is filled with bloatware. With the SD card as portable memory, I can't move any apps to the SD card. So essentially the phone had gone backwards in capability from lollipop to marshmallow? This makes no sense to me - can I return the phone to lollipop and make this marshmallow nightmare go away?

I am not sure what model phone you have, but there should not be any bloatware. The phone should be near stock android. 

You can't roll back To L, but you can try and get a stable baseline for M, and go from there. 

From what I have seen, stability issues with SD card tend to fall on the quality of the card itself. I have never bought a phone with less then 16gb internal storage, so I have not had any issues with space for apps. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Highlighted
MrDeano
Paper Tape
Views: 1,410
Message 5 of 7

Maybe my use of the term bloatware is misleading - this is a Moto G 3rd gen model XT1541 - by bloat I mean all the connected Google apps like various Japanese, Korean and Pinyin keyboards, Google+, Hangouts, Play Movies, all the extra Google bits I never ever use and can't uninstall. Reminds me of the early days of Windows and Explorer. You couldn't get rid of them.

This phone is 8GB hence the limited capacity for storing apps internally. To completely remove the ability to store apps to the SD card is a backwards step from lollipop. I was happy with the 2nd gen which is what led me to the 3rd gen but if this is a taste of things to come I think my Moto days are behind me. I was going to buy a Moto E for my daughter but now I'm thinking otherwise. Personally, I think there's something seriously wrong here because I'm not the only one complaining about the SD card issue with the update to M. And it's a new SD card, class 10 UHS class 3 - which replaces the previous 'from new' (i.e. Not used in any phone before) class 10 SD card that also wouldn't work properly.

Hoshang
WWAN
Views: 1,406
Message 6 of 7

First of all, If none of trick is working, something messed up while updating, so send phone to service so that, Moto Representative can do clean install Firmware. After that, don't add account and use Memory card as Internal Storage and check performance.
Hoshang
Sergio_Sz
Punch Card
Views: 1,366
Message 7 of 7

Mr. Moderator.

You said " I have never bought a phone with less then 16gb internal storage, so I have not had any issues with space for apps.".

But the thing here is that Motorola offers several models with 8 Gb of internal memory, so the OS should be prepared to deal with that too, using a SD card. 

Everyday I read a thread like this one I congratulate myself of NOT upgrading to M, and staying on 5.1.1. Is not normal that so many people on this support site complains about tha same. What was Google thinking doing this? Not everyone can buy a 16 Gb or more internal memory cell phone. I think that they should seriously review that SD feature on future releases and make it optional. 

I'll see how this evolves and maybe some day I'll upgrade to 6... but not now.

Regards.