Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,605
Message 1 of 20

Moto G 3rd Gen Bluetooth Won't Turn On

I have 2 - TWO - Moto G 3rd Generation where the bluetooth will not turn on.  Both are about 6 months old.  The first started happening about 2 months ago.  Went through support calls, no help.  Factory Reset fixes the problem for a few days, then suddenly, Bluetooth won't turn on again.

I sent it in for Repair and Return - I think all they did is a factory reset.  It worked for about 2 weeks, then, suddenly, Bluetooth wouldn't turn on.

Then, now on my household's second Moto G 3rd gen, suddenly the Bluetooth won't turn on with this phone!  Exact same problem, 2 different phones with 2 different users with 2 different sets of apps.  Tech support is no help.

From the drag down screen, touching the Bluetooth icon yields no visible response.   From Settings - Bluetooth - if I move the little switch from Off to On, it moves to On for a second or two and then immediately turns back off.

I can't do a factory reset every week on my phones.  Anyone have this problem and find a solution?  My online searching for help has yielded no results.  Smiley Sad

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,602
Message 2 of 20

Re: Moto G 3rd Gen Bluetooth Won't Turn On

For purposes of troubleshooting...are there any common apps on both phones?  In addition to what comes stock...

dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,574
Message 3 of 20

I'll look tonight when I have both phones in front of me. I'm sure we both use Outlook, Chase, Netflix, Hulu, Dunkin' Donuts, Pandora, Starbucks, Uber, Yahoo Mail. That's my guess looking at my phone. Should I start deleting them one by one and see if that helps? Power cycle in between?
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,558
Message 4 of 20

No.  Not necessary to start uninstalling apps...yet.

You said that there were two different sets of apps on the phone.  In that case, there could be (not definitely) a hardware problem.  So I asked if there were any apps in common to see if the problem could be caused by an app.

Since there are common apps, I would suggest running the phone in safe mode for 24 hours and see if bluetooth behaves the same.  If it turns on and stays on, then we can be pretty certain that there's an app, possibly one of the common ones, causing the issue.  If bluetooth still doesn't work properly, then we'd proceed to the next step.

dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,555
Message 5 of 20

I restarted my phone into Safe Mode.  I still cannot turn Bluetooth on.  I'll keep my phone this way tonight and see if anything changes.

dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,530
Message 6 of 20

I've had my phone in Safe Mode for half a day and Bluetooth still will not turn on.
dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,488
Message 7 of 20

@crystallet any additional help? I'm unable to turn on Bluetooth even in safe mode.  From history I know if I do a factory reset it will work for a few days or a couple weeks then same problem will present itself on 2 separate phones.

Agent_Liz Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 3,485
Message 8 of 20

Hi @dbiz ! Which software version are you running? 

Highlighted
dbiz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,484
Message 9 of 20

Here is the information for the phone I have in front of me.  I don't have the other with me, but I would imagine it's the same:

Model number

Moto G (3rd generation)

Android version

Android security patch level

December 1, 2015

Baseband version

M8916_2020629.41.03.21.51R

OSPREY_RETUSA_AWS_CUST

Kernel version

3.10.49-g88eb8b3

hudsoncm@ilclbld109 #1

Tue Dec 8 05:53:25 CST 2015