Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnhMotoG3Gen
Paper Tape
Views: 8,894
Message 1 of 16

Moto G 3rd Gen Switches off at full power with no error messages or warning

I am generally in love with my Moto G 3rd gen having upgraded from 2nd gen. However, one problem is starting to really bug me. I charge the phone overnight (as recommended) and I have an alram set for 6:15am. Unfortunately once the phone reaches full charge it seems to casually shut down. I tried this during the day today with both the Samsung hard wired cahrage that I have been using since I got the phone and also using the supplied cable with a standard charger. Both times the phone turned itself off when at full power. I did notice it getting very sluggish, but then the next time I looked it had completely switched off.

The ONLY thin I can think that I've done that might have caused this is that I configured my SD card to be internal, but when I noticed that the apps wouldn't recognised it and were failing to upgrade - I moved every app I could onto the SD card and since then the update process has worked fine, but this auto shutdown feature seems to have started the evening I made the change so I'm inclined to beleive that is related.

Has anyone else had similar problems - does Motorolla have a splendid way of fixing this?

any help much appreciated.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,891
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moto G 3rd Gen Switches off at full power with no error messages or warning

There is nothing built in to cause the phone to shut off on its own. 

You could try running it in safe mode, and see if the shutdown still occurs, if not, it is an app. Also, you could reformat the card as portable and remove it completely, that would rule out the card. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Hoshang
WWAN
Views: 8,872
Message 3 of 16

Pull out all SIM cards and Memory card, and do factory Reset and check. BTW, when Phone turns off and charger still connected, then can u power it on back?? Or when u press Power button, does it show Battery Percentage with Battery icon????
Hoshang
johnhMotoG3Gen
Paper Tape
Views: 8,855
Message 4 of 16

Hio, doing a factory reset is not going to be my first port of call on this - they take ages to get set up.. Smiley Happy However in answer to your question it switches on fine once I realise it's switched itself off and no it doesn't display the battery percentage- maybe because it's full.

johnhMotoG3Gen
Paper Tape
Views: 8,854
Message 5 of 16

Hi AlphaDog, Thanks for the reply. I will try in safe mode to see if that changes anything. As for reformattting the card as removable - that wil delete all my apps and data on there won't it? 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,852
Message 6 of 16

Formatting does erase the card. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
johnhMotoG3Gen
Paper Tape
Views: 8,847
Message 7 of 16

Hi AlphaDog, Well, I've learned something more - it still does it in Safe Mode, but it doesn't necessarilly have to be at 100% it's just done it at 82%. So - it doesn't appear to be an application - although even in safe mode it was still downloading application updates which seemed a bit strange.

Any other thoughts? Are there any logs I can access on the phone to see if there are events that are cuasing it?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 8,845
Message 8 of 16

You may be able to get to logs via ADB. But personally, I want always want to know hardware or software. And sooner rather then later. So, I would back up all my data, pull out sim and sd card and reset after disabling auto restore.  Do not even setup a google account after reset.  

If problem persists, hardware issue. 

I can can do this faster then I can spend time looking for the problem app, when I usually don't find it, or the OS is corrupted somewhere. 

Hoshang
WWAN
Views: 8,838
Message 9 of 16

Follow as per @AlphaDog instructions.... And after factory reset, don't insert any SIM or MMC and connect ti WiFi as well. If problem continues, its time to send phone to service.
Hoshang
johnhMotoG3Gen
Paper Tape
Views: 8,833
Message 10 of 16

Hi AlphaDog, Thanks again  - ok seems little else left to try so will follow your recomendation asap. Thanks..

Top Kudoed Authors