Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimD
What's DOS?
Views: 2,095
Message 1 of 8

Moto G 3rd gen - cracked screen

Hi all.

I've just bought my first Motorola phone, a shiny new 3rd Gen Moto G. After less than 3 weeks of use, a big crack appeared right the way across the screen. It's not suffered any knocks or other external stress so I contacted Motorola support for advice - they're insistent that it must have suffered some form of abuse and will only offer a paid repair.

I'm really hacked off as it seems to me that there must have been an inherent fault in the screen.

Has anyone else experienced screen woes with a 3rd gen Moto G?

Tim

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,066
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moto G 3rd gen - cracked screen

I hate to be a downer, but if you pocket carry it is very easy to put stress on the phone and not really realize it.

I've had to start removing my phone from my pocket every time I sit down--the increased length of the device now means it is trying to curve where I curve due to the constraints of my pocket...never had this issue with the tiny X1. Sigh.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
TimD
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply but it was actually bought for my wife and, as such, has spent its short life thus far in a handbag - therefore wouldn't have suffered any pocket stress. Regardless, though, surely a phone which can't survive the stress being placed on it by a bit of denim if kept in the front pocket of your jeans, for example, is flawed by design?! Fair enough if you keep it in your back pocket and sit on it or something, I'd expect it to be damaged sooner or later.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 8

TimD said:

Thanks for the reply but it was actually bought for my wife and, as such, has spent its short life thus far in a handbag - therefore wouldn't have suffered any pocket stress. Regardless, though, surely a phone which can't survive the stress being placed on it by a bit of denim if kept in the front pocket of your jeans, for example, is flawed by design?! Fair enough if you keep it in your back pocket and sit on it or something, I'd expect it to be damaged sooner or later.

View original

I keep my phone in my back pocket.  Standing or walking, no worries. Sitting, I worry (but I'm a nit pick when it comes to my toys).

I suppose it depends on if your front pockets are deep enough that your phone sits below the crease at the hip.  If so, then it would stay on a relatively flat surface all of the time (your quad muscles).  If not, then a phone that sits across the crease will be stressed.  Another thing to think about is if i the screen faces in or out....if facing out it may have been bumped by some external item (corner of a desk, a briefcase, etc).

I think the hard part for support reps is that everyone has a different use case scenario--they would have no idea how we use the phone, store the phone, etc.  Some pockets are deeper, some purses have other heavy objects stored with the phone, some people curve in places where others are straight....and unfortunately, there are those few who abuse their phones and the system, so while Moto protects itself from them they also snare some of the good people in that same safety net. sad

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
TimD
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 8

I imagine it would take a reasonably strong force to break the screen in such a way - I've never broken a single screen and I've owned a fair few phones, many of which have been dropped on hard surfaces throughout the course of their life or otherwise bumped and banged around.

It's annoying that one feature touted on the new Moto G is the use of gorilla glass 3 - if the phone doesn't have a manufacturing defect then it can't be that tough after all to break so easily.

Also the nature of Motorola support which has rubbed me up the wrong way - polite but generically impersonal replies which don't read like they genuinely care, I quote; 'Thank you for your feedback though, your opinions are very important for us to be able to give you the as best service as possible'.

It just smacks of not really caring now that they have my money, which is counter-productive because at this rate they won't be getting any more of it from me.

MelanieWalters
What's DOS?
Views: 2,022
Message 6 of 8

I feel your pain, I believe my Moto G 3rd Gen. is somehow defective too. Instead of Gorilla Glass, mine seems to have "sissy glass"

Less than a week after I bought it, Moto G 3rd Gen fell from my lap to my kitchen floor, and the screen cracked.   

I have had and dropped many different types of cell phones....none were as fragile as the Moto G 3 Rd Gen.  

Could not believe it, not one crack across the screen, the upper left corner has a few cracks radiating across the screen.  It fell about 2 feet onto kitchen floor.  

Gorilla Glass should not be listed as a selling point for this phone, somehow it made my Moto G 3rd Gen. very fragile.    

I bought this phone because sales rep.@ Best Buy recommended as being durable because of the gorilla glass.  

Very disappointed in Moto G 3rd Gen and its "sissy screen"  

Osvaldo1977
What's DOS?
Views: 1,344
Message 7 of 8

My Moto G4 glass broke Over night. It shows a crack just like the one on your phone. It was on the bedside table. Its a phone fault for sure. Iam not expecting a new one. But i'll beber buy Lenovo again. Mine lasted 5 weeks, then phantom crack appeard. I'm frustrated and don't feel like having my phone sent for repair and wait. Congrats Lenovo you just lost a first time costumer

Guru
Views: 1,331
Message 8 of 8

Without exact evidence of the drops & cracks, it's pretty difficult to lay blame & prove defectiveness. So while a manfufacturing defect is possible, my experience is that not all drops are the same.

Over a half a dozen years, I've had HTC, Nokia, Lumia, Motorola E2 & G3 phones, dropped them all a few times, onto various surfaces & have never broken or cracked a screen. The first day of my HTC, I dropped it onto a gravel road & it skidded & came up with a scratch.

Then come a few friends & one particular family member who go through phone screens, from Apple, to Lumia, to Nokia, to Samsung, to Alcatel & more brands, cracking breaking screens at speeds that make me want to pull out my hair. I've replaced a few of their screens myself. Some were broken while they used cases. So are you telling us that across the board Moto G3 screens are "sissy" screens, but the Apple, Samsung, Lumia screens are not???? Sorry, but I've seen seemingly innocent drops crack screens of several brands.

My Moto G3 & E2 have both survived a few drops, a couple that I was sure were going to cause damage but did not. After those drops & how I work & carry phones generally, I bought a book type case with a clasp for both & for my phone breaking family member, as better insurance.

It happens to EVERY brand. My G3 is proof that it can be dropped several times at least without damage but maybe it just didn't hit the way that your phone's did?

Either way, get a case & get a new screen online from $10-20 & replace the screen & digitizer yourself. It's quite easy & very affordable. I just got one for my friend's Nokia, an OEM screen with tools for $10 delivered from China. It takes 15 minutes.